Can ther be 'Cruising and flying' after surviving brain aneurysm ?

wieslaw

Can there be ‘cruising and flying’ after survival of brain aneurysm ?

Hi, I am looking for some advice or recommendation from someone that might have some knowledge about ‘cruising and flying (to the port) ‘ for someone who has survived brain aneurysm.

Someone very dear to me had the misfortune and a little bit of luck to survive this subarachnoid hemorrhage that happened about three weeks ago……….and there is a cruise that has been booked some time ago for beginning of Dec……..should we go ? There is still few days that I can cancel the cruise. Of course that is not of a great importance right now but I do have to address it sooner or later.

And the neurosurgeon that, was guided by higher power when he did the surgery, will have the final recommendation……..but some input from others will help us as well.

Perhaps this is not a ‘Cruising’ topic but it is connected in some way to cruising and perhaps the answers might help someone else as well.

Perhaps this is not the best place to ask the question either but during the last number of years Celebrity was our main cruise provider and this particular ‘board’ is where, I have visited most often.

Thank You,

Wes

Jeez - I know nothing of the med issues involved, but I never even thought of it as 'an issue'; I took a med cruise a three years ago with my cousin who survived a near fatal aneurysm and surgury about 15 years ago...

It never came up as a topic of cruise planning...

Jeez - I know nothing of the med issues involved, but I never even thought of it as 'an issue'; I took a med cruise a three years ago with my cousin who survived a near fatal aneurysm and surgury about 15 years ago...

It never came up as a topic of cruise planning...

I think what the OP means is this person's anuersym did actually burst and they survived-not that they had surgery to prevent the anuersym bursting which usually kills people-Ia burst anuerysm.

I have a friend that had the surgery BEFORE hers had burst and she has cruised many times since then. I don't think that soon though. The only side effect she has had is she has terrible migraines now. But she still cruises.

I guess like others said, you need to talk to the doctor-but Dec. being 3 months away-I would hope your friend would be on the mend by then.

My husband had a hemoragic stroke in the latter part of January, 2000. The doctors were reluctant, at first, to say that he could fly to Aruba in mid-April. Their concern was that his brain was still swollen and that it would be dangerous to fly in a pressurized cabin. Well, I kept asking and his recovery was good so they agreed to let him go. The bottom line is that it wasn't our best trip to Aruba but, he did fine on the flights. Now about you, I think that the cruise would not be the problem, but the flight is the concern. Your best bet is to get the approval from the neurosurgeon. I know that you will do what is best. Good Luck.

Thank you, for your responses.

Yes, it was " a burst aneurysm" and yes, I am very concern about the pressure in the airplane's cabin as well as the movement of the ship, and yes, three months might not be very much time to recover from such trauma to the brain.

No question, we will follow what the neurosurgeon orders - did not have a chance to ask him yet, cruise was not on my mind much - we just left the hospital two days ago........but I also know that I have to make a final payment or cancell the cruise very soon.

Judy thank You for sharing your experience, I think it will help me decide what to do.

Wes

I did not have an aneursym, but did have major brain surgery. I am not sure that I would want to be flying on a plane, or on a cruise ship for 7 days so soon after such a major incident. In my case, although I recovered quickly from the surgery -- 3 months later I developed another neurological ailment that had me in the hospital for 10 weeks and recuperating for another 2 years. I would just think that your friend would be better off fully recovering close to home for a while.

Besides best wishes, I hope you purchased insurance so that if you can't go now, you may have the opportunity in the future.

Thank you for the best wishes.....she needs all the 'help' that she can get. So far the recovery is good. Insurance is not really the issue here but her safety and comfort is. From some of the advise that some people were kind enough to offer.......I believe we will maybe cruise later in the future and not this December.

Thank you,

Wes

My wife survived one of these albeit in 1992. Although she now has a stainless steel clip in her head she has no restrictions. She did have to do 'nothing' for the 1st six months after the sugery but was then given a clean bill of health.

We do fly and cruise often but I suspect your friend's neurosurgeon might suggest December is a bit early.

Best wishes to your friend, I hope she has the same great recovery as did my wife.

JE

Thank you, for your responses.

Yes, it was " a burst aneurysm" and yes, I am very concern about the pressure in the airplane's cabin as well as the movement of the ship, and yes, three months might not be very much time to recover from such trauma to the brain.

No question, we will follow what the neurosurgeon orders - did not have a chance to ask him yet, cruise was not on my mind much - we just left the hospital two days ago........but I also know that I have to make a final payment or cancell the cruise very soon.

Judy thank You for sharing your experience, I think it will help me decide what to do.

Wes

why not reschedule your cruise? that would ease your mind-just push it back a couple of months so he can recover.

My friends adult son had serious brain surgery. The swelling of his brain took several months to get back to normal and during that time he would not have been able to fly. I, too, think it took about 6 months.

May I just express how sorry I am for your friend and how lucky she is to have you stand by her. My prayers for a full and speedy recovery (plus a great cruise a little further out!).

Archived