FOS from a Celebrity Perspective?

Sky Sweet

Has anyone, who usually sails Celebrity, tried the Freedom of the Seas? If so, how would you compare the two experiences. I have read many reviews of FOS but most of them were from people who compared it to Princess or other RCI ships.

I was on FOS for a pre-inaguaral. Comparing to any of X's ships is difficult.

Overall, the ship is beautiful, for what it is. Rooms are well appointed and the bedding is wonderful. There is some lovely artwork aboard, including two wall murals of Murano glass.

Entertainment options abound, the fitness center is outstanding and there are many dining options.

However, the ship is huge and densely populated and this is always obvious, IMO. There are not enough elevators, so if walking a lot of steps does not appeal, be aware.

Food was average and service was also. The dining room is huge and IMO the tables are far too close together. Tables for two are in awkward locations. The other food outlets are mediocre, though I expect that Portofino and Chops (not open for my cruise) will deliver quality food and service as they do on other RCI ships.

Diamond Louge is lovely, with large windows and nice location.

I am not a fan of big ships and FOS did nothing to change my mind. It is also a kid magnet, so be aware.

RCI is also significantly more casual in the dining room so expect that dress codes will be widely ignored.

They have no sommeliers.

All in all, apples and oranges.

I was on FOS for a pre-inaguaral. Comparing to any of X's ships is difficult.

Overall, the ship is beautiful, for what it is. Rooms are well appointed and the bedding is wonderful. There is some lovely artwork aboard, including two wall murals of Murano glass.

Entertainment options abound, the fitness center is outstanding and there are many dining options.

However, the ship is huge and densely populated and this is always obvious, IMO. There are not enough elevators, so if walking a lot of steps does not appeal, be aware.

Food was average and service was also. The dining room is huge and IMO the tables are far too close together. Tables for two are in awkward locations. The other food outlets are mediocre, though I expect that Portofino and Chops (not open for my cruise) will deliver quality food and service as they do on other RCI ships.

Diamond Louge is lovely, with large windows and nice location.

I am not a fan of big ships and FOS did nothing to change my mind. It is also a kid magnet, so be aware.

RCI is also significantly more casual in the dining room so expect that dress codes will be widely ignored.

They have no sommeliers.

All in all, apples and oranges.

Hi Caviargal :)

Thank you for responding to my post with such helpful information. I booked a few cabins on the FOS for a family cruise that includes three generations. It would not have been my first choice if it was just the two of us, but multiple generations involve multiple compromises :)

If we had young children we'd book Freedom of the Seas. Since it's just the two of us and we enjoy a more mature, intimate setting we love Celebrity. We will sail Royal's smaller ships in the off season but will never cruise during the summer ever again. Too many out of control children with irresponsible parents to enjoy our vacation. We may book Freedom one day just out of curiosity. Although the ship is WAY too big for our taste.

If we had young children we'd book Freedom of the Seas. Since it's just the two of us and we enjoy a more mature, intimate setting we love Celebrity. We will sail Royal's smaller ships in the off season but will never cruise during the summer ever again. Too many out of control children with irresponsible parents to enjoy our vacation. We may book Freedom one day just out of curiosity. Although the ship is WAY too big for our taste.

kewlguy, you are so correct! RCI has significant issues with unsupervised kids and teens which make them an unappealing choice for me as well. I have heard rumors of a new program for youth security but no concrete announcements.

I have been truly appalled on several RCI cruises by what I have seen re kids in the adult areas and unsupervised all around the ship. Also, the lack of any dress code standards is not to my liking. There was a guy in baggies, t shirt and flip flops on formal night in the dining room 2 weeks ago.:eek:

We sailed FOS last month, sailed Galaxy two years ago, sailing Millennium in two weeks... and despite really enjoying FOS, we still feel X is head and shoulders above Princess, RCI, and Carnival.

FOS was great fun, as noted by others here- but not elegant and the food was merely ok. Dining room attire was often Mc Donald's casual, for what that's worth. We missed the lovely touches of X- champagne as we board, cool facecloths as you wait to tender, the gracious feel of the ship- and are very glad to be on X for this next trip. I will say that we had fabulous staff everywhere we went aboard FOS and I hope you will too... not quite as amazing as X staff but delightfully better than expected. I think it is a good compromise and dare you not to have a good time... but you will feel like home coming back to X. Enjoy your trip!

Archived