Just returned from the AOS Aruba Route

chazg

We just asked the cabin steward. I had learned about them from these boards and as soon as I got in my cabin and sat on the bed I knew I'd need it. You need to ask the first day though because they usually run out of them. Apparently they will be replacing the mattresses throughout the cruiseline, but AOS was not scheduled until late this year or early next year. Hopefully that helps because they were pretty thin.

Would you mind informing a newbie to these boards just what an eggcrate cover is??? and what does it have to do with your mattress?? :confused:

My advice may not be entirely acuurate because we did not board in San Juan, it was a port-of-call for us. However, based on our previous cruises I would think it would be easy to drop off your luggage at the port, have the porters check it in and then go see Old San Juan. I think it is a very pretty port. We followed the advice of other cc members and got off the ship & then took a taxi to El Morro Fortress. It was only a couple of $ per person. Then we walked back down to the ship - it docks right in OSJ, so you do not need a round trip taxi. We took the taxi to the fort because it is a big hill up to the fort, much easier to walk right down. Depending on how much shopping & lingering you do you can do the whole thing in a couple of hours.

If you would like to see our pictures of OSJ (we have quite a few) click on my link in my signature and go to my album "Jewel of the Seas".

I had a walking tour map that was in the Frommer's "Caribbean Ports of Call" book that I used to help me identify things we were passing. A very helpful book for the whole cruise, I may add!:)

We are also looking at this cruise for the future. I enjoy hearing from others all the good things about the ship & suggestions for the ports. Keep them coming!:D

Unfortunately the AOS docks at the Pan American Pier and you will need a Cab to get back and forth to Old San Juan.

me and my husband are booked on AOS Nov 5-12. We have not purchased our plan tickets yet and wondered how long it takes to get through customs and to the airport. We are looking at a return flight at 12:15. The rest of the return flights don't leave till about 4:00pm or later but can we make the 12:15 flight home? I would hate to sit around the airport all day.

Thanks

A 12:15 flight should be fine, I would go any earlier though.

My estimate would be about $40 total in cab fare ($20- airport to port and then $10 each way to and from Old San Juan).

We were charged $15 for a cab from the Sheraton Old San Juan to the Pan Am pier in March, so I would estimate $15 each way for the cab ride to Old San Juan from the pier and back.

Would you mind informing a newbie to these boards just what an eggcrate cover is??? and what does it have to do with your mattress?? :confused:

The eggcrate is a foam mattress pad about 1 1/2 inches thick that helps to pad the mattres if it is uncomfortable. They are available by asking your room steward when you board. They only have a limited number so you may or may not get one.

It is a foam rubber pad about the width of the bed. They sell them everywhere (ie. Wal Mart). I am surprised you have never seen one. they are molded to the configuration of an egg carton and add an extra layer of cushion to the bed. All you have to do is email RCI's special needs department and it will be on your bed when you arrive. They look like this: http://medicalproductsdirect.stores.yahoo.net/egcoov.html and this: http://medicalproductsdirect.stores.yahoo.net/egfomapa2chs.html

Archived