Just returned from the AOS Aruba Route

chazg

We just returned from our 1st cruise on the Adventure of the Seas Southern Route and outside of a few minor issues it was a great trip.

The issues I had where as follows:

1. I didn't like the placement of Johnny Rockets on the ship. It is right under the Sports Deck and boy was it noisey. I felt as if a Basketball was going to fall thru the ceiling on to my plate at any moment. The food was ok and the Milkshake was great!

2. We had a bad Assistant Waiter. I can't say I know what his responsibilty was but, we say him only twice during each visit to the dining room. He brought the bread basket on the first visit and then 1 round of drinks. We very rarely saw him even at the other tables. We asked our Main Waiter and the Head Waiter and they took care of it right away. We hated to complain, but it was very hard to get a Soda refill or another sour dough roll if you wanted them.

Other then that, the Cruise was great, the weather was even better. Even tho we had about 80 plus CC Members registered for the M&M, only about 35 or so can but it was great meeting most of them. I assume it was because the time changed from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm just before the first formal dinner.

If you have any questions, hopefully I can answer them for you.

Yes the at least 1 pool and the Hot Tubs where open. I don't know if the Solarium pools was open tho. I didn't get in there much as the Deck Chairs where all taken.

There where also working on some of the Wood Decking around the pools.

Embarkation was very smooth for us. We arrived at Port around 11:45 and we where sitting in the Windjammer by about 12:30. The lines where not long, but we did have to sit down for about 10 miniutes before they us onboard. We couldn't get into the Cabin until just before 2:00.

Whuch reminds me that the Gifts we purchased for thi Kids where on in the Cabin when we got there. Upon checking with Guest Services they said they where not scheduled to be delivered till Thursday. No where in the ordering process did it give me a date for delivery so I asuumed they would be there upon arrival. So if you purchase a Gift Package make sure you check for a delivery date.

Hi Chazg, We were also on this cruise with you. Sorry that we did not make the Meet and Mingle as we were busy getting for early dinner/Formal night. We had a few mishaps, but still had a great time. Apparently there was a problem with leaking pipes on deck 10 aft. There were fans going in the hall and we were told that the pipes were leaking. A few days later, we found the fans in our room! After draining the bathtub, our rug and the hall rug were soaked. They moved us to a Grand Suite, but not until the last night! Too bad it didn't happen sooner. Our waiter and asst. waiter were very good and our room steward was excellent. My son loved Adventure Ocean. It was hard to keep him out of there.

Hi Chazg, We were also on this cruise with you. Sorry that we did not make the Meet and Mingle as we were busy getting for early dinner/Formal night. We had a few mishaps, but still had a great time. Apparently there was a problem with leaking pipes on deck 10 aft. There were fans going in the hall and we were told that the pipes were leaking. A few days later, we found the fans in our room! After draining the bathtub, our rug and the hall rug were soaked. They moved us to a Grand Suite, but not until the last night! Too bad it didn't happen sooner. Our waiter and asst. waiter were very good and our room steward was excellent. My son loved Adventure Ocean. It was hard to keep him out of there.

What age group was your DS in? We had 1 DS in the Voyagers (8-11) and 1 DS in the (12 -14) group, and could get them out either.

We were also on this cruise and we also missed the M&M (sorry) because of the time change (we had main seating and since this was the first formal night...you know how long women take to get ready <ducking>). We found the cruise to be very good, the only complaint I had was with the single excursion we booked for St. Martin. First of all, the AC on the bus was not working right and it was freakin' hot. Then we left about 45 minutes later than when were supposed to (the whole time we're sitting in the bus sweating our you-know-what's off). We were told we would be taken first to Marigot and would have about an hour and half to shop, but since we left late, they only gave us about 30 minutes there. The "guide" barely knew english, and we could not understand a word he said the whole tour. When we finally arrived at the beach it was on the far left side of Orient Beach (not the nice part where are the resorts are). There was a wooden shack where they served an un-edible lunch and we were left on the beach for only about two hours (the brochure said we would have 3 1/2 hours). It was definetely not worth the $70 pp they charged. But we learned our lesson, we will never book an excursion on the boat. We had much better luck and enjoyed venturing out on our own on the other islands. All in all, we had a great time (except for this) and we are already planning our next cruise!

What age group was your DS in? We had 1 DS in the Voyagers (8-11) and 1 DS in the (12 -14) group, and could get them out either.

chazg, Our son is 11 and was in the Voyager group. He met other kids from NJ, so maybe they know each other.

Yankee_Fan, We had a not so good excursion that we booked on our own (on this cruise) and I vowed to always book through the ship in the future! The excursion had great reviews on these boards, so maybe we hit them on an off day. On the other hand, we had a great excursion on the off road adventure through RCI. I guess you never can tell how things will go.

I was also on this cruise. Just got back this morning from Puerto Rico. The cruise was nice, the weather was great. Did no excursions just did it all on our own. Food was good. Our Waitress seemed to be new and a bit on the timid and slow side. We were always the last table to be done. Didn't mind since we had great tablemates. Hope she improves as she goes along. Again can't complain, a cruise always beats a week at the office. Oops forgot to mention, sorry didn't make the Meet and Mingle either...surprised by the time change.

We where suprised too, but DW knew how much I wanted to go since I think I was the first to register. So even tho we had Main Seating we went and stayed for about 45 Min's and met some great cc members.

Hi All,

I am thinking about taking the same cruise next summer and appreciate your comments about the ship and other parts of the cruise.

I see that the ship leaves port at 10pm, what time do you start to embark and what do you do the rest of the day?

We have cruised only Carnival before and are skepticle about trying another cruise line. All of the info would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all!!

We were also on this cruise. We missed the M&M because we were also stuck with early seating and had to get two kids into tuxes (not easy!!!)

Our servers were great and very attentive. They had my sons taken care of every night. I dislike the maitre de' entirely. Rotten attitude, not pleasant and doesn't own a smile. He never came around to greet people at their tables either. Our table mates never showed up so we were 5 people at a table for 10 the whole week.

The beds were comfortable once we had the egg crate covers put on. I slept like a baby every night.

We booked the Zipline tour in St Martin and had a blast. Definitely a fun thing to do, and I'm afraid of heights!

Otherwise we easily picked up cabs in Aruba, St Thomas and St Martin (Orient beach before the Zipline). Curacau was a nice walk and ferry ride (the floating bridge is still out for repairs).

We also were at the pier from the airport by 11:30 and on board eating by 12:15. Disembarking however did not look as easy. Fortunately we had number 1, but customs was backed up and I could see it was going to get ugly. Anyone get off later and find it to be a problem?

The beds were comfortable once we had the egg crate covers put on. I slept like a baby every night.

We also were at the pier from the airport by 11:30 and on board eating by 12:15. Disembarking however did not look as easy. Fortunately we had number 1, but customs was backed up and I could see it was going to get ugly. Anyone get off later and find it to be a problem?

1. Where did you get egg crate covers? Did you bring them with you? :) The mattresses were a bit on the thin side. :)

2. We disembarked around 9:45am- it took approximately 45 minutes to get through the line. It appears to be Customs that was slowing up the line. Overall, it wasn't to bad (it took much longer to get off then ship then on it). :)

We will be getting in at 10:00AM the day of the cruise. Is it possible to take a cab to the ship, drop the luggage, and then go back to town in San Juan? Is this to expensive? I do not want to board ship earlier than mid-late afternoon. Thanks!

We will be getting in at 10:00AM the day of the cruise. Is it possible to take a cab to the ship, drop the luggage, and then go back to town in San Juan? Is this to expensive? I do not want to board ship earlier than mid-late afternoon. Thanks!

Bomber- I wouldn't see why not. You could take a cab from the airport to the port, drop off your bags and then grab a cab into Old San Juan. When you are ready to return take a cab back to the dock and just get into the line to board the ship.

My estimate would be about $40 total in cab fare ($20- airport to port and then $10 each way to and from Old San Juan).

Have fun! Old San Juan has lots of beautiful buildings and when we were there the street vendors were selling handmade crafts, etc.

We weren't able to get into the Cabin until about 1:45 so we had to carry the bags we didn't check with us until then. After we dropped them in the cabin we where free to do anything we wanted to till 8:00, but chose to stay onboard and enjoy the Windjammer, get our Dining Room table moved and enjoy the Ship.

me and my husband are booked on AOS Nov 5-12. We have not purchased our plan tickets yet and wondered how long it takes to get through customs and to the airport. We are looking at a return flight at 12:15. The rest of the return flights don't leave till about 4:00pm or later but can we make the 12:15 flight home? I would hate to sit around the airport all day.

Thanks

1. Where did you get egg crate covers? Did you bring them with you? :) The mattresses were a bit on the thin side. :)

We just asked the cabin steward. I had learned about them from these boards and as soon as I got in my cabin and sat on the bed I knew I'd need it. You need to ask the first day though because they usually run out of them. Apparently they will be replacing the mattresses throughout the cruiseline, but AOS was not scheduled until late this year or early next year. Hopefully that helps because they were pretty thin.

Approx how long is the cab ride from the Airport directly to the port? How was the traffic at that time of day?

The Cab ride was only about 20 min's from the Pier to the Airport during a rain shower.

My advice may not be entirely acuurate because we did not board in San Juan, it was a port-of-call for us. However, based on our previous cruises I would think it would be easy to drop off your luggage at the port, have the porters check it in and then go see Old San Juan. I think it is a very pretty port. We followed the advice of other cc members and got off the ship & then took a taxi to El Morro Fortress. It was only a couple of $ per person. Then we walked back down to the ship - it docks right in OSJ, so you do not need a round trip taxi. We took the taxi to the fort because it is a big hill up to the fort, much easier to walk right down. Depending on how much shopping & lingering you do you can do the whole thing in a couple of hours.

If you would like to see our pictures of OSJ (we have quite a few) click on my link in my signature and go to my album "Jewel of the Seas".

I had a walking tour map that was in the Frommer's "Caribbean Ports of Call" book that I used to help me identify things we were passing. A very helpful book for the whole cruise, I may add!:)

We are also looking at this cruise for the future. I enjoy hearing from others all the good things about the ship & suggestions for the ports. Keep them coming!:D

Archived