Straw Market-burned down?

patnjohn

I think it is still there.

By IANTHIA SMITH, Guardian Staff Reporter

ianthia@nasguard.com April 2006

Straw vendors are raking in the money now that the market has had its spring cleaning. Workers in the world-famous straw market said since the inside of the marketplace got a much-needed face-lift they have more space to work, more tourists are visiting the market and sales are skyrocketing.

"Of course I'm seeing an increase in sales," Margaret Jolly said. "Since the clean up there's more space, that's why, and the tourists don't feel jammed up and clustered anymore so they're spending their money." The 40-year straw market veteran explained that in the past, items in neighbouring booths would spill over into others' space leaving the market hot, clustered and with little space to walk. For this reason, she added, tourists would simply buy nothing and walk out. Miriam Wright said she's been in the straw business for 30 years and added that this latest clean up made life in the market more comfortable for the vendors and the visitors. "I just love to see the tourists flowing through the market by the dozens and buying our stuff," she said.

Talking with numerous vendors in the market, it was evident that their mutual concerns of space, clutter and no walking area were cleared up. The Guardian spoke to almost 20 workers who all agreed that they are seeing an increase in sales adding that the clean up came at a "very good time."

"This is now the peak season for the market and of course I've seen an increase in sales," said one vendor. "I think the clean up came at a very good time. So everybody gets a piece of the pie."

Over the years vendors have been faced with a number of concerns about the venue including unsanitary bathroom facilities, exposed electrical wiring, inadequate ventilation, criminal activities and the presence of illegal migrants. Government officials closed the down town market for two days last month after a visit exposed serious physical and infrastructural deficiencies including signs of rat and roach infestation. Deputy Prime Minister Cynthia Pratt visited the market and said she got a first hand view of the conditions the workers have had to endure. The decision came with mixed emotions as many straw vendors felt that they would lose money during those days, while others were happy for the "necessary" repairs. A new state-of-the-art straw market will be built on the market's former site that was gutted by fire in 2001.

But for right now, vendors say that life in the market is much better.

The Straw Market did indeed burn down a few years ago.....arson.....and I believe the culprit was arrested. The replacement "temporary" Straw Market is under the big white tent and it appears to be pretty permanent. The vendors are all there; it's crowded and on hot days steamy hot.

Don't be afraid to negotiate.

BobK/Orlando

Archived