Tipping for Cocktails

Captain Cosmo

When you order a drink in the lounges on X they take your account card and then bring it back to you for your signature. There's a space on the receipt to put in a tip, even though the drinks have a 15% tip built in their cost. I tend to overtip anyway and did so on our first cruise, but wanted to know how other X passengers handle this. Do you tip more only if the service is outstanding? Do any of you simply sign it without entering an additional tip on top of the 15%?

I suppose if I took up a lot of a bar server's time by asking for ingredients of a dozen drinks before deciding what to order, it might be appropriate to tip something extra on a single order. Otherwise, I'd never do it. On a couple of occasions I have presented an envelope with cash and a note to the Martini Bar staff on the last evening because they were so good to us over the course of a cruise.

I tend to add a dollar per drink anyway. I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I don't want to look "cheap" or unappreciative...

Given how few drinks I have, that extra buck isn't going to make much difference in the final bill anyway...

When you order a drink in the lounges on X they take your account card and then bring it back to you for your signature. There's a space on the receipt to put in a tip, even though the drinks have a 15% tip built in their cost. I tend to overtip anyway and did so on our first cruise, but wanted to know how other X passengers handle this. Do you tip more only if the service is outstanding? Do any of you simply sign it without entering an additional tip on top of the 15%?

We live in an area where 20 percent tips are the norm, so we add the difference to our lounge and spa gratuities while on a cruise.

If we like a person (waiter/waitress) and, I am into personalities and, how friendly they might be..I usually leave cash in addition to their

normal 15%. I know they work for basically tips and, I understand

that..but, I like how I am treated and, I DO notice. My wife always

knows the ones that get the extra tipping...before I ever

mention it to her.....;)

Can we leave cash as an extra tip after signing our bill?

When it comes to tips, you "can do" anything you want ....

To answer the OP, as a normal course, I feel the 15% is sufficient, and just put a line through the space for an extra gratuity, and sign my name with the amount that reflects the total w/ the 15% .... however, I do tend to "visit" my favorite bartender/wait person on the last evening to give them an extra $10 in cash by way of "thanks for everything".:)

Unless something or someone is outstanding I think 15% is quite enough. We had a wonderful cocktail waitress last April. Not only did I add an extra $5 a couple of times, my DD gave her an envalope. NMnita

Great! I'm just trying to get a feel for tipping. As some of you said, 15% is enough, but if he or she goes that extra mile, a few dollars more wont hurt I'm sure. =D

Also it also depends on how much you think you will need those waiters. We love to spend our sea days around the pool thus we tend to really enjoy every minute:D . We met a wonderful waiter on our first day and provided a couple of generous tips. He took excellent care of us throughout our entire cruise and even bought us a couple of rounds of drinks.

Something you might not know....

If you add a tip to the receipt, the server/bartender/wine steward that served you will not necessarily receive what you "add on" for an additional gratuity. Much like restaurants in the U.S., particularly bars - all of the "add-on" gratuities are put into a tip pool and evenly distributed amongst ALL of the bar tenders or all of the wine stewards depending upon which staff you are giving an extra tip to. It is always better, more personable, and MUCH more appreciated to give an individual a cash "add-on" gratuity seeing as they likely would see far less than $0.05 of every $1.00 added to each receipt!

I have to be honest I have never seen the line to add an extra tip. I always tip the 15% but like most of you if I have had a great experience with any crew member then an envelope is given to them at the end of the cruise.

Maybe I haven't seen that line because:1) it was too dark in the lounge or 2) I could see straight because of all the wonderful cocktails I've been consuming.:D

Archived