Celebrity vs. Princess and Falkland Islands

S&B

I have been comparing Princess and Celebrity cruises for 2008. The only Celebrity that goes to Stanley departs on Jan. 6. Is that to early to see all the penguins?

Will I miss alot by not going to Stanley if I cruise with Celebrity? All Princess cruises go to Stanley. I have read that is the only place to see one of the species of penguins. Has anyone compared these two itineraries? When I book a cruise I book for the itinerary not the cruise line so I will be happy with either ship.

There is one itinerary (Celebrity) that goes to Rio but skips Uruguay.

Very confused! :confused:

Thanks. :) Sorry if this is too long and confusing.

The Falkland Islands is the only place you will see Gentoo and King penguins. We were there towards the end of January and were told that the penguins were there earlier in January.

Last year about half the Celebrity sailings (2 out of 4?) did not make it into Port Stanley due to weather conditions.

Check the itinerary for the Celebrity cruise that goes to Rio carefully. It probably does not go around Cape Horn. Last year they had one that spent 3 days in Rio at carnival time and went further up the coast of Brazil before returning to BA.

Thanks for your reply. We are currently booked on Princess but after spending the afternoon reading every post I could find I think we might change to Celebrity. They do go to Puerto Montt, which Princess does not, and we could do the Tombo (?) excursion.

We just returned from Tahiti and could not go into Rorotonga and had three sea days. It is the same as with the Falklands, only 50% of the cruises ever get to port. Even though I have always wanted to go to Stanley I am reading that the Tombo excursion is one of the best for seeing the penguins. (don't remember if that is the correct name)

Thanks for your help. I have seen many posts where you have helped CCer's and we really appreciate your time.

If you have not been to Tahiti it is a real paradise. :)

SO sorry for any confusion. It is Puerto Madryn that Princess does not go into. They do go to Puerto Montt, but I don't believe there is a penguin colony in P. Montt.

Thanks again. :)

You will see Magellanic Penguins (aka *****) at Punta Tombo in Puerto Madryn and at Seno Otway in Punta Arenas.

I don't think they have Penguins in Puerto Montt.

Read my trip review, look at my pictures and watch my cruise video if you want to know what you will see with Celebrity. Pointers in my signature below.

Archived