Venice transfer to Princess ship,any suggestions

nysweetpea

I have booked my own hotel in Venice pre-cruise. (love those starwood points) Does anyone know the best way to reach the ship without using the Princess transfer? I have heard that water taxis and some car services are not permitted to drop off passengers at the dock. I would hate to have to walk any distance with suitcases in tow.

Royal Princess,6/25/07

I have booked my own hotel in Venice pre-cruise. (love those starwood points) Does anyone know the best way to reach the ship without using the Princess transfer? I have heard that water taxis and some car services are not permitted to drop off passengers at the dock. I would hate to have to walk any distance with suitcases in tow.

Royal Princess,6/25/07

Venice is for walkers- for sure. You will see many people hauling luggage around. I don't know what hotel you are staying at but the Sofitel is right near the cruise terminal and very very nice by any standard. Venetian hotels are often old and don't have many of the creature comforts- like large bathrooms and A/c. I have stayed at the Bauer, the Metropole, the Santa Chiara and one other that escapes me... the Sofitel was like a 5-star American hotel- clean, large and nice marble bathroom. It is right next to the bus terminal- where taxis abound. Otherwise, you will haul your luggage by vaporetto or water taxi (at least 30 dollars).

Royal Princess,6/25/07

In 10/2005 we arrived in Venice via cruise ship and took a waiting land taxi from the pier to the bus terminal. (The cost was ~15 euros.) So, I would assume if they're allowed to be there to PICK UP pax, then I would think they're also allowed to go there to DROP OFF pax. The question would be if your hotel has land access. (We stayed at the Sofitel which was as described by a previous posted. We had to schlep our luggage up about 12 stairs and then back down the other side of the 12 stairs to reach the Sofitel but were able to manage it by tugging on our wheeled luggage rather than lifting it by hand. The stairs weren't too steep.)

We took the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and checked our large luggage into their left luggage area. We took our carry-ons and boarded the vaporetto for the stop nearest our hotel. A couple of days later we returned by vaporetto, picked up our bigger pieces of luggage & took a taxi to the port. It was EASY.

I'm sure the Sofitel is very nice, but we did not want to stay in an American style hotel - we wanted to experience Venice. We stayed at a Rick Steves recommended hotel near the Rialto bridge and loved the location as well as the ambiance of the old building down the narrow alley.

Enjoy Venice!

Julie

I probably shouldn't have used the term "American" style hotel. The Sofitel is a beautiful hotel. It isn't modern/art deco or anything like that - it is just a really nice, attractive, well-run hotel. The Bauer was very nice too but $$$$$. The Metropole was ok. The Santa Chiara (also in Piazze Roma) was pretty but- they said that they didn't have a room for me at check-in. I was very disappointed. The bellman carried my bag for me but I was relocated to another hotel for one night and then they had a room for me there the second night of my trip. As you can imagine I was annoyed. This seems to be a common problem in Venice- the hotel switching. The hotel they put me up in for the first night (the Continental) was not as nice as the Santa Chiara but my hands were virtually tied. That is why I recommend the Sofitel- you won't be treated that way there and it was the best value for the dollar.

I probably shouldn't have used the term "American" style hotel. The Sofitel is a beautiful hotel. It isn't modern/art deco or anything like that - it is just a really nice, attractive, well-run hotel. The Bauer was very nice too but $$$$$. The Metropole was ok. The Santa Chiara (also in Piazze Roma) was pretty but- they said that they didn't have a room for me at check-in. I was very disappointed. The bellman carried my bag for me but I was relocated to another hotel for one night and then they had a room for me there the second night of my trip. As you can imagine I was annoyed. This seems to be a common problem in Venice- the hotel switching. The hotel they put me up in for the first night (the Continental) was not as nice as the Santa Chiara but my hands were virtually tied. That is why I recommend the Sofitel- you won't be treated that way there and it was the best value for the dollar.

Rebeccalouise, thanks for the information about the Sofitel. We will be staying there in a couple of months. Could you give me an idea of how far it is from the Piazza Roma - what kind of walk (with luggage) we can expect. Also do you have to go back to the Piazza Roma to get the water bus or is there a stop close to the hotel? Thanks.

Royal Princess,6/25/07

I love those Starwood points, too! I'm sure the folks at your hotel (Danieli?Gritti?) can tell you the best way to get there. Assuming the water taxis are allowed to drop off passengers, I would do that because it's the easiest way to do it. It cost 55 Euros from the Danieli to the train station, so I imagine a trip to pier would be comparable.

Rebeccalouise, thanks for the information about the Sofitel. We will be staying there in a couple of months. Could you give me an idea of how far it is from the Piazza Roma - what kind of walk (with luggage) we can expect. Also do you have to go back to the Piazza Roma to get the water bus or is there a stop close to the hotel? Thanks.

From the Piazza Roma- you go across a little bridge and you are right there at the hotel. The vaporetto stand is right there at the Piazza Roma. You may have to ask someone to point you in the right direction but the Sofitel is a really good location. You won't be sorry that you stayed there. I am not saying that there aren't other nice hotels in Venice- but this one was the best value I have seen. I also enjoyed staying in this location. I walked all the way to St. Mark's and back each day. It was really fun seeing everything along route. But there is also the option of the vaporettos. Plus you can take the bus from Piazza Roma to the airport for 3 Euros and they run continuously.

usavvy2:

Do you agree with my opinion on the Sofitel. I thought it was really nice compared to the other hotels I've stayed in and very good because of the access to ground transportation.

RebeccaLouise, yes I concur that the Sofitel provides the service us Americans are acustomed to in large chains like the Hilton, Marriott, and Hyatt. I also concur that it's not "American" per se - as I haven't been in any Hilton's or Marriott's with Venetian Glass chandeliers in the bedroom. (I believe I snapped a pix of their guest room - if you're interested, drop me an email: on the rim (all one word) @ hotmail dot com as I'd be glad to share them. Re directions from the Piazza Roma, we took a land taxi from the ship to the hotel. the taxi dropped us off at the left side of the parking lot (as you're getting off a water taxi, with the water at your back). From the sidewalk near the taxi let-off point, it's about 10 paces to the bridge, then about 12 short stairs up and another 12 short stairs down the other side. From there it's probably less than 200 paces to the hotel which is on the left side (with a side canal on your right side). There's a step up from the sidewalk into the hotel and then you're there! Our room wasn't ready but we left our luggage, tucked our valuables in their safe behind the desk, and were off sightseeing! It was convenient, safe, and of the comfort level we're acustomed to experiencing. Yes, I'd like to have been in a small, quaint, Italian hotel but my spouse is a disabled senior so the best surprise is NO surprise that's why we picked the Sofitel. ( don't think we could crawl through a window every time we went in/out of the hotel like other cruisers we met were planning on doing!) We ate breakfast (which was included in our price) at the hotel. A lot of Americans stayed there (many cruisers waiting to go to their ship). The buffet was great with lots of choices to select from. We shared a private land taxi with another couple back to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked this one last week and are looking for a one-night precruse tour/deal. My Travel agent hasn't seen any posted yet, only the two-nighters, which put you in a very expensive hotel on the Grand Canal. This will be my first trip to Europe (my husband's third - his others were business to Ger and UK). Can't wait!!

Never cruised Princess before, one each with Carnival and RC.

I can vouch for Sofitels. We were in 4 in Tahiti and one in Chicago. The food is great, as is the service. We're sailing 6/25/07 on Royal, as I just wrote in a previous posting, so aren't quite sure yet on the pre-cruise tour package yet. Will definitely keep this Sofitel in mind.

Archived