Road To Hana

Giantfan13

WE did the Road to Hana last week, and, to be perfectly honest, were a bit dissappointed. We knew about the road, and what to expect, but maybe I visioned a lush paradise of a road, windinging thru spectacular scenery, but it just wan't that way.

There were many good points also, but many of the places that we read about and heard about, fell a bit short of expectations. the waterfalls, were not very 'Hawaii like' being in the dry summer months. We never did see the Bamboo that was written 'that line the road and you can't take your eyes off of them'. Many of the 'spots' had so many cars in the limited parking, that to get to the spot, sometimes you had to park a way down the road. Believe me when I say there is limited parking. On very narrow roads, people still stop and leave their cars any old place.

Another thing was that my wife just got plain car sick from all the twists and turns of the road. We were in convertible also, but she just started feeling queezy several times on the trip. We did make it to Hana and would like to mention that, to us, the most beautiful spot on the road was Wainapanapa State Park, just before you get to Hana. We didn't swim there but the views are spectacular. You can walk out on the lava to views of the ocean crashing into the walls, into arches out in the water. They have a blow hole there and the black sand beach is in full use. We stayed here about 2 hours, just watching the tide coming in, carshing agains the small islands and the sea walls. There is a small shaved ices truck there also, where the guy selling claims it's the BEST in Maui. I kidded him about this, but, in fact, it WAs very good. A great refreshment on a hot day.

Again, I am glad we did the 'Road', but we were a bit dissappointed. There are many great stops and sites, but maybe we expected more than there was to really get. It IS a full day trip.

I'm sorry that the road to Hana didn't live up to expections, but unfortunately we do sometimes get a "picture" in our heads of exactly how something will be and then it isn't quite what we imagine. I've never considered the road to Hana as a must do, but many people do it every time they visit. I agree with you about Waianapanapa being just about the best stop. We also liked red sand beach and Koki beach (red/black sand) just past Hana. Otherwise, I was fairly underwhelmed. I'm not at all surprised about the number of cars because this is such a popular tourist day that it does often, if not usually, get quite crowded. This is especially true when you consider that, unlike places like most of the Caribbean, Hawaii doesn't depend on cruise ship pax for most tourism. There are thousands of tourists in hotels and resorts every day, year round, and cruise ship pax are "competing" with them as well at all the "popular" spots.

I hope that otherwise you had a wonderful trip.

(BTW, little picky point, but in Hawaii it's always shave ice, not shaved ice.)

beachchick

Hello,

There is a great backroad that is much quicker and very straight, it takes about an hour and a half from the winery up on the mountain (Haleakala). Its pretty interesting, it follows a lava flow landscape and there are a few remote farms. It is a much quicker was to get to Hana, we always drive it one way and take the front road one way.

Don't miss the rainbow Eucalyptus trees on the front road.

Amelia

Which road do you take?We don't want to run the risk of running into a huge mass of traffic and miss the ship.

Thanks,

Moya

Hi Moya,

The back road, which is not as scenic but much quicker, is reached by taking the front road all the way to the so called end, which really is not the end at all! If you follow it, it will take you around the dry side of the island, not as lush but again, quicker.

Amelia

WE did the Road to Hana last week, and, to be perfectly honest, were a bit dissappointed. We knew about the road, and what to expect, but maybe I visioned a lush paradise of a road, windinging thru spectacular scenery, but it just wan't that way.

There were many good points also, but many of the places that we read about and heard about, fell a bit short of expectations. the waterfalls, were not very 'Hawaii like' being in the dry summer months. We never did see the Bamboo that was written 'that line the road and you can't take your eyes off of them'. Many of the 'spots' had so many cars in the limited parking, that to get to the spot, sometimes you had to park a way down the road. Believe me when I say there is limited parking. On very narrow roads, people still stop and leave their cars any old place.

Another thing was that my wife just got plain car sick from all the twists and turns of the road. We were in convertible also, but she just started feeling queezy several times on the trip. We did make it to Hana and would like to mention that, to us, the most beautiful spot on the road was Wainapanapa State Park, just before you get to Hana. We didn't swim there but the views are spectacular. You can walk out on the lava to views of the ocean crashing into the walls, into arches out in the water. They have a blow hole there and the black sand beach is in full use. We stayed here about 2 hours, just watching the tide coming in, carshing agains the small islands and the sea walls. There is a small shaved ices truck there also, where the guy selling claims it's the BEST in Maui. I kidded him about this, but, in fact, it WAs very good. A great refreshment on a hot day.

Again, I am glad we did the 'Road', but we were a bit dissappointed. There are many great stops and sites, but maybe we expected more than there was to really get. It IS a full day trip.

Giantfan-thanks for the info...I have been debating whether or not to this, as we didn't want to do an all day thing....plus I can see myself bored in about 2 minutes on the road. Not a road trip kind of person...lol!! Think I am going to make new plans for us for the second day in Maui. Did you do anything other than the Hana Rd?

Letha

I don't want to give the 'Road' a bad rap, but if you are the driver, you have a lot less fun that the others. It is not a real difficult drive, just you must be attentive and cautious ALL the time. While others are admiring something, you are negotiating a switchback or a one lane bridge. Unless you love to drive, which I do, it is still tiring for the driver unless you make many stops.

That said, there ARE some grewat 'lloks' on the road, and, as I said, we just loved Wainapanapa State Park. It is absolutely breath taking.

We did Haleakala the next day. Not at sunrise, but in the AM, and that WAS great. In the afternoon we did Iao Park and that also should not be missed.

We have hired a "local" several times and they drive you all around the island and take you to secret spots. Once, on the road to Hana we collect a plethura of flowers, and saw all the hidden waterfalls, flora and fauna of the area. We were taken to local homes, and all sorts of neat places. The road to Hana is very nice when somebody else is driving and you are just looking. It also helps to be there during the wetter springtime, when the waterfalls are gushing and everything is blooming.

There are some nice beaches in maui too: Makena, and Little Makena, Hookipi for watching wind surfing, Milemarker 17 for snorkeling, and Napeli Bay for the best relaxing and snorkeling, just to name a few.

Trilogy Tours used to do the best boat tours, I like to go to Lanai or other spots that are not quite as crowded as Molikini. Parasailing is also very fun.

Amelia

Archived