Shorter cruises and passports

I was wondering how the new passport law is going to affect the three and four day cruise market starting in January? It seems that many of the passengers of the three and four day cruises are first timers. How many of those folks will think twice about cruising when having to purchase a passport (close to $200.00 per couple) not knowing if they will like cruising or go again. I am curious if we will see Carnival and RCI having a hard time filling the shorter cruises because of this. I know that RCI fought hard last year to get the extension on the requirement of passports. Will we see price reductions on the shorter cruises? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hmmmmmmmm.....you've made some good points. It may have a short term affect on the short cruises, but I think that people are going to have to realize that a passport will be required sooner than later to go just about anywhere. In another year you will need a passport for all land crossings, too. In AZ we are used to being able to just walk across the border for a fun Mexican shopping day and just show a driver's license. Next year it seems we will need a passport to just go over for a few hours.

I read somewhere not too long ago that passports may be required for air travel within the US eventually. A state issued ID just may not cut it after a while.

P assports are such a needed form of ID. The new ones with a microchip now inside thwarts being made falsely and couterfeited.;)

How much is your Driver Licenses now issued by the States in which you reside? How long are they good for?

If your going to drive you need a drivers license.. if your going to use public transportation crossing country lines as well crossing an International Border should real ID be required too? :D

Receperocity has to be with all :eek:

Excellant point. We have had our passports for a few years now and have found travel much easier than when we had regular ID. There is no holding it up to the light, "do you have another picture ID?", etc.. After 9-11 my huband was always questioned extensively. I guess his Irish Catholic common name is used frequently by people trying to fly under a different identity. Going to my grandmother's funeral in Ohio, I thought they weren't going to let us on the plane. Three prieces of ID, "What's your middle initial stand for?" Once we got his passport, no more problems.

I was wondering how the new passport law is going to affect the three and four day cruise market starting in January? It seems that many of the passengers of the three and four day cruises are first timers. How many of those folks will think twice about cruising when having to purchase a passport (close to $200.00 per couple) not knowing if they will like cruising or go again. I am curious if we will see Carnival and RCI having a hard time filling the shorter cruises because of this. I know that RCI fought hard last year to get the extension on the requirement of passports. Will we see price reductions on the shorter cruises? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

At this point there are no exceptions to the new laws requireing a passport for all sea and air travel from foreigh countries and the need for one starting 2008 for land border crossings. There is a lot of noise in border states along Canada and Mexico and I think there is a reasonalbe chance of them coming up with something for that and that only other than full passports.

As for an impact on cruise bookings, since all cruises(except the NCL US registered ships that cruise Hawaii) must visit a foreign port before returning to the US, ALL cruises, except those Hawaii NCL cruises, will require passports. While there has been some chatter in the cruise industry about an impact, at this point there is no indication that the cruise lines are worried about it. Since common sense would suggest there will be a measurable impact, the cruise lines must know something we don't, like their bookings for next year are looking good.

We'll just have to wait and see.

How much is your Driver Licenses now issued by the States in which you reside? How long are they good for?

One of Arizona's best kept secrets! Hope this answers your question. :p

I do have more than a couple of decades before I need to renew mine. ;) If we are looking at cost per year then I would need to reply that it is under $1 per year to have it.

Does my driver license expire at age 60?

No. At one time driver licenses were issued with an expiration date on the driver’s 60th birthday. Then the law changed to extend the expiration date an additional five years to age 65. The computer record for those licenses was automatically updated to reflect the new expiration date.

If you have a license that indicates that it expires at age 60, you may continue to use the license you have. No action on your part is required. However, because it has the old expiration date, it may no longer be viewed as a valid document when you present it as a means of identification.

If you have a digital photo on file, you may obtain a replacement (duplicate) license showing the new expiration date.

If you do not have a digital photo on file, you must visit a driver license office in person to complete the application process and have a new photo taken.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp?section=dl#32

How much will my driver license cost?

The fees are based on age, as follows:

• 16-39 $25.00
  • 40-44 $20.00
  • 45-49 $15.00
  • 50-above $10.00

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp?section=dl#4

Archived