Carnival in New York

jetblue

Something has been bugging me for some time...

How come the world's largest cruise line only positions 2 ships in New York City for 6 months in the summer? Many other cruise lines are based here year-round. Other lines even position 4 or 5 cruise ships in New York. Cruise Lines such as Royal Caribbean and Princess have many different caribbean itinaries to choose from which alternate slightly every year...

So why can't Carnival position more ships in New York City, or at least offer different caribbean itinaries... or, as much as I LOVED the Legend, sail up a different ship each year? Does anyone else agree with me on this?

I understand 6 months out of the year... Most don't want to spend the first day FREEZING on a cruise ship, LOL... I guess it could go to Canada though. Then you have the amount of time it takes to get somewhere tropical, which is limiting... they know the market, and know what works best for them... so you can believe if it was going to be a cash cow, they'd do it...

True but unfortunately both of those cruise lines are way over-priced... that's what's great about Carnival, a great cruise experience at a very cheap price... to add to that philosophy would be to say that we did not have to pay for airfare to go to Florida as well... but Carnival seems to enjoy spreading its ships out to lesser used ports such as Mobile, Galveston, or Jacksonville... so I guess that takes away from NYC cruise possibilities.

It just strikes me as odd if competitors such as RCI and Norweign see the 'cash cow' New York offers... why doesn't Carnival?

True but unfortunately both of those cruise lines are way over-priced... that's what's great about Carnival, a great cruise experience at a very cheap price... to add to that philosophy would be to say that we did not have to pay for airfare to go to Florida as well... but Carnival seems to enjoy spreading its ships out to lesser used ports such as Mobile, Galveston, or Jacksonville... so I guess that takes away from NYC cruise possibilities.

It just strikes me as odd if competitors such as RCI and Norweign see the 'cash cow' New York offers... why doesn't Carnival?

give them time

give them time they will come around

The only ship that I know of that sails year round from NY is the NCL Dawn. Their longer cruises, being in the winter months to the Carribean. 10 and 11 days. I can stand on cold day. I wish more lines would cruise from NY all year. :o

NCL has added a second ship year around..the Spirit. I believe that HAL announced plans to but has shelved them. The Dawn will be replaced next year by a newer ship the NCL Gem I belive.The QM2 leaves from NY pretty much throughout the year but not on a fixed schedule. Princess I know has been considering it but has more problems with the Crown Princess that it anticipated(only one of which was NY related- a fueling issue)..

The only ship that I know of that sails year round from NY is the NCL Dawn. Their longer cruises, being in the winter months to the Carribean. 10 and 11 days. I can stand on cold day. I wish more lines would cruise from NY all year. :o

RCCL's Explorer of the Seas starts sailing from there year round next year.

Even though RCI sails from New Jersey it is still considered NYC as the Cape Liberty Cruise Port is right across the water from NYC... you still have to sail underneath the Verrazzano Bridge if you sail from New Jersey, and that would be New York territory!

Archived