Should we get a rental car in Vancouver

melt

I'd say it depends on what you want to do. With a car, it's a lot easier to get to Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, drive around Stanley Park, maybe a day in Whistler, ferry to Victoria.

It really depends on what you want to see, if you just want to shop a bit, you can walk around downtown and take a bus for a day trip.

I would definately recommend it. The drive to Whistler in itself is beautiful, Whistler is a great full day destination. If you have time the ferry over to Victoria is a beautiful trip and Buchart gardens is awsome. I live here and do over at least once a year to see the flowers. On Sat. nights thru the summer they have a fireworks show(don't know if you will have time) At the Capilano suspension bridge they have a new exhibit that is a walkway about 20?feet up in the air to view the forest from another level. Looks pretty interesting. Stanley Park is always great and if you are athletic you can rent bicycles or rollarblades and visit the park that way. There are lots of great walks around the city and some wonderful restaurants. Two good ones that are reasonably priced (usually have lineups are Hon's on Robson and Stephos on Davie. first one being Chinese and the last being Greek. Maria's on Denman for greek is good also. Have a wonderful time in our city. If I can help anymore e-mail me at marken@telus.net

The public transportation in Vancouver is great. We just returned. You don't need a car for a day or two in Vancouver when you're shopping, going to Stanley Park and Granville Island. The buses go right to those locations and they're quick, cheap and easy. It's not worth paying the $20 or so to park your car at the hotel. We rented a car for the day we went to Whistler. We didn't go to Vancouver Island this time but it might be easier to have a car on that day too. You can pick up a car downtown so you won't have trouble picking one up in the middle of your trip.

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. It really helps since I have never been to Vancouver before. We will have around 3-4 full precruise days and we are debating over flying into Seatle and taking the scenic drive to Vancouver or flying directly into Vancouver. We can save around $200 per person on airfare by flying into Seatle. However, I don't know if we have enough time to enjoy both cities I have heard that there is lots to see in Vancouver and we may want to spend all our time there. Any recommendations?

To save the money on airfare we almost always fly in/out of Seattle. So many of us Canadians do that that there is a bus called Quick Shuttle that makes 5 trips daily from Vancouver to Seattle Airport.

As it appears you have the time it is an easy 3 hour hop Seattle airport to Vancouver.

I would not rent a car in Vancouver as the parking is expensive and I would suggest that you take a tour (Greyline) of our city

Alternatively public buses will take you from downtown right to both Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge as well as most other attractions.

If you want to go to Victoira (Vancouver Island) a bus is the way to go as the buses are given priority boarding on the ferries while the rest of us in cars have to line up and wait minimum of 30 minutes and often over 2 hours to board.

If you go to Victoria make a reservation for tea at the Empress Hotel it is well worth it and a fun thing to do.

If you have any other questions about things to see & do in Vancouver just ask

Ann

Archived