Are they trying to rip me off?

St.Love

Ok here is the deal... I booked through a TA and have already paided for my cruise in full. I was on Carnivals website today and seen that the price dropped 484.10 so I called my TA and told them. I asked for a OBC for the difference. She said well I'll call Carnival and see, fine. She then calls me back and says some BS like well if you want the lower rate then we will have to cancel out your cruise here and then you can book through Carnival, WHAT :confused: . I said that I thought that was crazy and what was so hard about doing an OBC since I hear they are easy to do. She then starts saying well we don't make much off commision, blah blah :rolleyes: . So I said Oh so this has to do with commision and not my OBC. I think she thought I was dumb and she could get away with telling me some hogwash. I stood up for myself and didn't back down and told her that if I don't get an OBC I will never deal with them again and may turn them over to Better Business Bureau because this has nothing to do with commsions it's about being honest and giving a costumer an OBC they deserve, right?

So we hang up and she calls me back an hour later saying that she is working with a manager at Carnival to see what they can do and they will get back with me on Monday.....Hmmm!

What do you make out of this? This is my first cruise but I'll be darn to get ripped out og 484.10 credit!

Ok here is the deal... I booked through a TA and have already paided for my cruise in full. I was on Carnivals website today and seen that the price dropped 484.10 so I called my TA and told them. I asked for a OBC for the difference. She said well I'll call Carnival and see, fine. She then calls me back and says some BS like well if you want the lower rate then we will have to cancel out your cruise here and then you can book through Carnival, WHAT :confused: . I said that I thought that was crazy and what was so hard about doing an OBC since I hear they are easy to do. She then starts saying well we don't make much off commision, blah blah :rolleyes: . So I said Oh so this has to do with commision and not my OBC. I think she thought I was dumb and she could get away with telling me some hogwash. I stood up for myself and didn't back down and told her that if I don't get an OBC I will never deal with them again and may turn them over to Better Business Bureau because this has nothing to do with commsions it's about being honest and giving a costumer an OBC they deserve, right?

So we hang up and she calls me back an hour later saying that she is working with a manager at Carnival to see what they can do and they will get back with me on Monday.....Hmmm!

What do you make out of this? This is my first cruise but I'll be darn to get ripped out og 484.10 credit!

Well... you have all rights to cancel and rebook with CCL, if they suggested you do so, JUST MAKE SURE you are not within cruiseline cancellation penalties -or the agnecy you dealt with cancellation penalties.

As for the commission they lose.... apparently they were at first willing to lose it all rather than a portion to get your rates adjusted or a ship board credit......

If you wait till Monday, that great rate reduction could not be available (which I what I am suspecting is going to happen and why they are waiting until next week to let you know).

I personally would try to reach them this weekend and tell them that they must get this straightened out immediately or you will be forced to cancel and rebook......

It anmgers me when an agency like this does their clients this way......gives the good TA"s out there who work HARD for their clients a bad rap !

With a TA like that, I would absolutely cancel if there were no penalty.

The commission on that $484 difference is not anything the TA should care about, if they are a big outfit and doing a lot of business. People cancel vacations every day, and they lose commission on that. I don't get why the bad attitude!

IMHO, you are better off booking directly with Carnival.

First of all you booked at a certain price that you accepted when booking.

Second why does this TA have to accept Carnival's posted price?

I think you are handling this all wrong. This TA is working for a commission and has a valid point. Well I'm sure if I was in this persons shoes I would be trying everything to keep my commission too.

If you feel so strongly maybe you should cancel your booking with this person and call Carnival directly. You threatening to call the better business bureau because you couldn't get a cheaper price is a little bit overboard. Pardon the pun.

Maybe you should do some research on this board and find out how some of us have gotten better prices.

I don't see that I'm doing anything wrong. If your going to run a business then run it right and not rip people off just so you can make an extra buck. I've been speaking with a very helpful lady at Carnival and she thinks it's SO wrong what they are doing and can't figure out why they are making it sound like a big deal to do a OBC when it's not.

The TA agent told me some :mad: that if I cancel then I have to pay a 75.00 pp fee!

I don't see that I'm doing anything wrong. If your going to run a business then run it right and not rip people off just so you can make an extra buck. I've been speaking with a very helpful lady at Carnival and she thinks it's SO wrong what they are doing and can't figure out why they are making it sound like a big deal to do a OBC when it's not.

The TA agent told me some :mad: that if I cancel then I have to pay a 75.00 pp fee!

The agency apprantly charges a cancellation fee.... and you should have paperwork on your original confirmation stating that....even if they do charge the fee (which is not uncommon by many agencies nowadays), you are still ahead of the game. You gave them a chance to make adjustments.. if they choose not do so, cancel the booking, rebook with CCL and be done with this.

First of all you booked at a certain price that you accepted when booking.

Second why does this TA have to accept Carnival's posted price?

I think you are handling this all wrong. This TA is working for a commission and has a valid point. She/he has been paid according to your paid in full booking. Now you wanting a refund or OBC means she will have to pay back. Well I'm sure if I was in this persons shoes I would be trying everything to keep my commission too.

If you feel so strongly maybe you should cancel your booking with this person and call Carnival directly. You threatening to call the better business bureau because you couldn't get a cheaper price is a little bit overboard. Pardon the pun.

Maybe you should do some research on this board and find out how some of us have gotten better prices.

are you a realtor by any chance? the OP is being ripped in front of everybody and you are taking TA's side. so strange?:confused:

I still can't believe that in XXI century we still using TAs.

I book with Costco travel for only reason of getting 2% off as a member on the Costo Amex. they all have the same prices. Carnival website has a price gty. they do not post special rates like resident or senior or past guest - you need to call for those, but I gave up to look elsewhere - tried ***** and such - they are all more then carnival or costco in my case (which is the same as carnival).

2OP: I do not think you can scare anyone with BBB, the only leverage you have is trying to cancel.

Some agencies do charge a cancelation fee. Carnival should not be talking to you if you are not booked directly with them.

If it only costs $75 & you can book with the lower price you are still ahead but consider how long it may take to get your refund & if you are willing to wait that long.

Good luck.

The fee is 75.00 per person and I have 6 people in my party so that adds up! I would be in the hole if I cancel.

According to the lady at Carnival she said it's not for new bookings only, anyone can use it.

My TA is working till midnight and I just called her and left a message and wouldn't you know she doesn't answer me message :rolleyes: .

Semper Fi St. Love,

Yes they do lose part of their commission but that should not matter. The way it works after final payment is that Carnival gives up their portion of the drop and has to wait for the TA to send back their portion of the commission. Once both portions are received, your account is credited with the OBC.

We recently got a $140 OBC for our cruise this Monday. My account at Carnival is showing $117 credited and they are waiting for a check from the TA for the balance to get me to the $140.

Also the decision for an OBC is made on the spot with Carnival. Either it is available or it is not. There is no having to wait for a decision. So your TA is jerking your chain. As the other poster stated, it is very possible they are putting you off in hopes the rates will go up. We had a member of our roll call who waited until Monday and was only offered $60 OBC while the rest of us got $120-200 by jumping on the drop right when it was offered.

Good luck and I know it is frustrating but keep at them.

Dave (USMC 80-86)

The fee is 75.00 per person and I have 6 people in my party so that adds up! I would be in the hole if I cancel.

According to the lady at Carnival she said it's not for new bookings only, anyone can use it.

My TA is working till midnight and I just called her and left a message and wouldn't you know she doesn't answer me message :rolleyes: .

Ahhhhhh.... so NOW we hear more of this story.... the savings you are speaking of is on SEVERAL bookings it appears...... me thinks there is even more to this saga that is not being told !

I'd love to be able to call Carnival and re book there but it's not that easy I'm afraid! I'll be charged a 450.00 fee and my OBC is 484 so what's the point? All I want is for them to be honest and do what it right and give me an OBC but I guess not everyone is honest in this business :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhh.... so NOW we hear more of this story.... the savings you are speaking of is on SEVERAL bookings it appears...... me thinks there is even more to this saga that is not being told !

That is it no saga about it. I'm being ripped off it's as easy as that. I have (2) 6B cabins that I paid 1760.10 for a 5 day cruise. The new rate is 1276.10 so I should recieve a 484.00 credit, it's as simple as that.

I know one thing I'm GLAD that my next cruise was booked through RC and not a TA!

I'd love to be able to call Carnival and re book there but it's not that easy I'm afraid! I'll be charged a 450.00 fee and my OBC is 484 so what's the point? All I want is for them to be honest and do what it right and give me an OBC but I guess not everyone is honest in this business :rolleyes:

It's not a question really of HONESTY, more of PROFT and LOSS (which I suspect they will do after this cruise regarding your future business/referrals).

Travel Agencies rely on volume and to get that they need referrals and repeat clients due to the minimal amount of commission made on the majority of bookings right now.

THEY ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO LOWER YOUR CRUISE FARE, or PROVIDE A SHIPBOARD CREDIT if applicable to your sailing. It is at the agencies discretion...... if you are not going to come out ahead by cancelling the booking.....consider it a deal gone sour, but learn from the experience and know what type of questions to ask a future TA before booking with them, OR book direct with the cruiseline if you feel more comfortable. Just remember that many will say "I don't need a TA" and some will say "A good TA is worth their weight in gold"..... It's a PERSONAL CHOICE that ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE.....

Dont let this ruin your cruise.... go have a great time and chalk it up to EXPERIENCE !!!

I have found that when clients book with me and something like this happens, either an upgrade or obc can be offered. The TA only needs to call carnival and work something out.

I would hope they would take the high road and make accomodations to the customer.

As for cancellations, it appears that you are cruising in 17 days correct? Based upon Carnivals posted cancellation policy, you would lose 50% of your cruise fare by doing this (refer to page7 of your cruise tickets). I would call back and speak with the TA's supervisor and if that does not happen, then call Carnival and explain what is happening. Now Carnival should not talk to you directly about the situation at hand, but can do something to make things work out for you if the agency does not want to handle the situation. Right now Carnival is doing some incredible last minute fare specials for those that can go on short notice. The only benefit for you having booked awhile ago is if your TA did the right thing and booked you under a Catagory Guarantee, you have a good chance of being upgraded in cabin catagory. If they are running that kind of discount. But it appears that you are seeing a discount of approximately $75 per person. That special fare can start at the bottom of the ship in your inside or outside catagory. So maybe you need to find out if that is for the same exact catagory as you booked

If it comes to that, I would not book with this company and make sure you let all your friends and family know how they do business.

Do this: review the paperwork you signed when you booked the cruise. Is the $75 per person cancellation fee mentioned? If it is, you are obligated to pay it if you cancel. Consider it a lesson learned. I would never book with an agency that had such a fee. Look at all the online TAs that have great service, and no fees. Use one of them next time, or go direct to Carnival.

Now, if the agency is worried about losing part of the commission, estimate how much that is. Let's say it is 50 bucks. Write the TA a check for 50 bucks and offer to trade that for the $484 OBC. For the TA, it is a wash, and it seems more than fair, considering the pickle you got yourself into with using this rotten TA.

If your going to run a business then run it right and not rip people off just so you can make an extra buck.

There are alot of scams out there, and I hate to call a TA a Scam or people that do a half ass job from their bedroom because they too have to make a living as well as Lawyers and Mechanics but we also have some good helpful ones on here too.

But a good TA would of checked for you way before you even called and told you, Guess what I just got you some OBC period. Thats what I would do for my customers, you think you would recommend me to your friends after that? heck ya, in a heart beat.

Fred

Archived