Are they trying to rip me off?

St.Love

As for cancellations, it appears that you are cruising in 17 days correct? Based upon Carnivals posted cancellation policy, you would lose 50% of your cruise fare by doing this (refer to page7 of your cruise tickets). .

So basicially, this TA knows that if he messes with his Commission he will get him back by messing with his Cruise fare by losing 50% from what he paid, what a crappy devilsh person. :mad:

Yes... they are trying to rip you off.

Just take matters into your own hand. Don't be intimidated by a TA. That is why I alway book thru Carnival... I don't have to worry about these things... :rolleyes:

Carnival wont speak to you about your reservation if you booked through a ta, the ta has to request the obc.

I would get back with your ta and ask for a 3 way conversation- you, your ta and Carnival,

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your response. I'm going to call the TA again today when they open on a hour and see where I can get with this. i won't be as nice as I was yesterday though.

Lets hope I get somewhere!:cool:

If I cancel with them and re book with Carnival it will take a few days for my credit card to get credited so that's a problem. I don't have another CC I can put it on?? My husband and I only keep 1 CC to keep debt down.

I've been reading along and have nothing to add, but was interested in how this turned out. Remember, you'll get better results with honey than with vinegar. This doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't stand your ground. Good luck St. Love!

Juat a little update. I'm currently on the phone with a supervisor at the TA I went through and she is looking into it and said she apologized that I was treated so poorly.

I'm on hold as I type so we will see what she can do....

Juat a little update. I'm currently on the phone with a supervisor at the TA I went through and she is looking into it and said she apologized that I was treated so poorly.

I'm on hold as I type so we will see what she can do....

If you dont get an answer you like, ask them for a 3 way call to carnival that way you can talk to someone at carnival. In my experience Carnival will either give you OBC or an upgrade.

Ok well I'm off the phone with a supervisor at the TA office. She said that after reveiwing my account there is communication between them and Carnival BUT Carnivals accounting dept. is closed until Monday?? She said that there IS a on board credit in the works BUT they don't know how much it is until Monday??

I said why is it a mystery on what on board credit is in the works. She said well we work off commision so I need to understand that :rolleyes: . Yea I do BUT when you start messing with someones credit that they deserve then commsion shouldn't even come up, right? It's called running a business the right way and being honest.

So therefore I was told again I have to wait until Monday to see how much I'll get........

Any other suggestions I can do? I wonder if calling back to the TA later and asking for a 3 way call will get me anywhere?

Ok well I'm off the phone with a supervisor at the TA office. She said that after reveiwing my account there is communication between them and Carnival BUT Carnivals accounting dept. is closed until Monday?? She said that there IS a on board credit in the works BUT they don't know how much it is until Monday??

I said why is it a mystery on what on board credit is in the works. She said well we work off commision so I need to understand that :rolleyes: . Yea I do BUT when you start messing with someones credit that they deserve then commsion shouldn't even come up, right? It's called running a business the right way and being honest.

So therefore I was told again I have to wait until Monday to see how much I'll get........

Any other suggestions I can do? I wonder if calling back to the TA later and asking for a 3 way call will get me anywhere?

Yes this is what I would do! Your OBC should have nothing do to with there commision, sounds like your ta is going to try to keep some of you OBC for there commision. The only way Carnival is going to talk to you is with a 3 way call...you, your ta and them. Once you get on the phone with them..if the first person is not much help ask to talk to a supervisor there at carnival.

I am not sure about this but I thought I read on these boards that you can transfer your booking from TA to Carnival and vice versa. Why don't you just transfer your booking...you may not lose any money that way.

I am not sure about this but I thought I read on these boards that you can transfer your booking from TA to Carnival and vice versa. Why don't you just transfer your booking...you may not lose any money that way.

The agency has to agree to transfer the booking as they own it. Most agencies will not do that.

This is a good lesson for anyone that is just starting out with cruising. They should ask their TA upfront if there is a cancelation penalty and if so then that is a reason not to book with them. Also ask if they will honor a price decrease. Let's face it, TA's are a business too and can only stay in business with the commissions that they make off of cruises. I say the blame here goes 50/50 to both parties.

The agency has to agree to transfer the booking as they own it. Most agencies will not do that.

This is a good lesson for anyone that is just starting out with cruising. They should ask their TA upfront if there is a cancelation penalty and if so then that is a reason not to book with them. Also ask if they will honor a price decrease. Let's face it, TA's are a business too and can only stay in business with the commissions that they make off of cruises. I say the blame here goes 50/50 to both parties.

I'm a first time cruiser and I was told about the penelty fee AND was told that if there was a price change them all I had to do was call them and they would change it (they made it sound very easy)! At the time of booking my TA was cheaper than Carnival so that's why I went with them.

I'm a first time cruiser and I was told about the penelty fee AND was told that if there was a price change them all I had to do was call them and they would change it (they made it sound very easy)! At the time of booking my TA was cheaper than Carnival so that's why I went with them.

That is it no saga about it. I'm being ripped off it's as easy as that. I have (2) 6B cabins that I paid 1760.10 for a 5 day cruise. The new rate is 1276.10 so I should recieve a 484.00 credit, it's as simple as that.

I know one thing I'm GLAD that my next cruise was booked through RC and not a TA!

I just went through the entire booking process online and the total cost for 2 cabins, 6 people in a 6B for your cruise is $1760.10... of course $206 is in taxes that you don't see when you are just looking at the prices of the cruise, you actually have to go all the way through the booking process to see those taxes. I'm not seeing a lower price at all...

are you a realtor by any chance? the OP is being ripped in front of everybody and you are taking TA's side. so strange?:confused:

I still can't believe that in XXI century we still using TAs.

I book with Costco travel for only reason of getting 2% off as a member on the Costo Amex. they all have the same prices. Carnival website has a price gty. they do not post special rates like resident or senior or past guest - you need to call for those, but I gave up to look elsewhere - tried ***** and such - they are all more then carnival or costco in my case (which is the same as carnival).

2OP: I do not think you can scare anyone with BBB, the only leverage you have is trying to cancel.

No I am not a realtor.........Nor a sales person

Common sense is that if a product does not move what do you do with it? You put it on sale.

So what is the difference? Your departure is 16 days out and the ship must have alot of vacancy's for Carnival to be trying to break even.

From reading your postings you now have had two managers from Carnival state you must wait until monday.

I don't know there is just something wrong here. And unfortunatley there are three sides to a story.......Yours, TA and the truth. Will you ever know? Propably not. But you must have liked your original price or you would not have booked. So relax and go on your cruise. And like everyone else said chalk it up to experience for next time.

No I'm not and your point? I'm someone who doesn't enjoy being ripped off, would you?

Oh man,

I did not refer this to you but rather to the person saying it is ok for your TA to treat you like this. I really hope you get your refund becase you are being ripped off

I want to thank you for posting this thread. We normally book our cruises ourselves, omitting the travel agent. Wonder how much we've missed in the past. Anyway, I decided to call Carnival, and talk to them about what we paid for our Triumph cruise leaving 9-16, and what they're selling those rooms for today. Stunned, Carnival offered us first, an upgrade to the Panarama deck, balcony room, and that was tempting. We did stay with our booked room, balcony off the back. Then did give us a $240.00 room credit. Thank you again, and I hope your situation works out for you. This is something we will always do from now on.

Well well so the saga continues... I just contacted my TA once again and asked for a 3 way call to Carnival and the TA told me that the accounting dept. is closed there so there is no one to speak since the one invloved there is off until Monday.....fine.

I then say so my onboard credit will be 484.10, right and the TA says you will be given to you what you are entitled to, huh? I then ask ok so how much is that and she said well we don't yet and won't know until Monday BUT you will get your onboard credit.

I have a family attorney and I contacted him on this matter this am. and briefed him on it and he says if they don't give me what I was told should be returned as a credit then he will take it up with them. I did tell the TA that I will get my attorney involved on Monday if I don't receive the 484.10 and she got all surprised and loud on the phone saying, well now you must understand that we have to send Carnival $ back and they can't receive it until Monday so it is in the process and don't worry you will get your credit.

I STILL don't understand why there is a mystery on how much I receive! I know and they know BUT they say they don't :rolleyes: .

I then told them that they are giving a costumer a hard time over 40-60 dollar commision! Is it really worth it!!

In a business you are suppose to make the costumer happy and my god don't get a bad rap and an attorney after you over 40-60.00

I would NEVER recommend this agency:mad:

I just went through the entire booking process online and the total cost for 2 cabins, 6 people in a 6B for your cruise is $1760.10... of course $206 is in taxes that you don't see when you are just looking at the prices of the cruise, you actually have to go all the way through the booking process to see those taxes. I'm not seeing a lower price at all...

We have a military discount involved here as well. We had (2) 6B cabins and the total was 1276. I had to call to get the rate not over the net alone. A rep. from Carnival told me that rate. I also got her to send me it in email so I have proof.

I can understand your frustration because there is a lot of money involved. Do you believe that they are not telling you the truth when they say they cannot get this resolved until Monday? Many companies do not have departments that work on the weekend and perhaps that is the case here. Monday is only a day and a half away. Is there a reason you cannot wait until then? I'm not trying to flame you in the least but perhaps you need to be more patient. I know, easy for me to say, but you are getting upset over this and it's not worth it. You're going to make yourself sick over this!

The TA knows you are on to them and that you are not backing down. Since they are telling you that you will be receiving a credit and cannot work out the details until Monday, call back first thing Monday morning and then demand a three way call.

Take a deep relaxing breath and enjoy the weekend!:) :D

Why not wait until Monday like the agency has asked and see what happens? Very few departments at Carnival work on weekends.

Also unless you have something in writing from the TA stating that they will honor a price drop then they do not have to honor the price decrease and you will not have any legal recourse. The agency pays a certain amount for the cruise from the cruise line and it is up to them if they want to decrease their commissions. You have no idea how much the agency is making on your cruise plus you are already receiving a military discount which can also come into play here. Again it will be up to the accounting department at Carnival on how much they will offer up on a discount to the agency. The agency is not going to lose money on a booking or they will not stay in business long.

Thanks for youe responses and I guess all I can do is wait until Monday and hope that they are honest and give me a OBC of 484.10. I will bump this up on Monday with the results!

Pray they do what is right here :)

Archived