Are they trying to rip me off?

St.Love

We have a military discount involved here as well. We had (2) 6B cabins and the total was 1276. I had to call to get the rate not over the net alone. A rep. from Carnival told me that rate. I also got her to send me it in email so I have proof.

Okay, now I'm confused... you said "I have (2) 6B cabins that I paid 1760.10 for a 5 day cruise" But now you are saying the total was $1276 but that difference is the military discount... so this difference you are talking about is the military discount?? Because the difference between $1760 and $1276 seems to be the amount you are asking for in OBC. What was the rate you actually paid with the military discount?? And what is the new rate? Because Carnival's rate is $1760 right now... so if you paid less than that because of the military discount... how are you coming up with $484????

Also, an attorney really can't do much... you said that Carnival emailed you that rate, but you booked with a TA. What does your contract say? If your contract price is lower and they charged you more, then yes... an attorney might be helpful.

I book with Costco travel for only reason of getting 2% off as a member on the Costo Amex. they all have the same prices. Carnival website has a price gty. they do not post special rates like resident or senior or past guest - you need to call for those, but I gave up to look elsewhere - tried ***** and such - they are all more then carnival or costco in my case (which is the same as carnival).

quote]

I'm with you on that. I have a Citi Rewards card that I get 4% back and use the TA that is affiliated with that reward. They even rebook price decreases up until final payment date. From what I hear (someone will correct me I'm sure) TA commission is around 8%, so if they give me 4%, they still make 4% (which isn't much)

How can they 'lose' money? They will make a commission in any event..it comes down to how much. The commission they would lose on the $484 is perhaps about $65. I would gladly forfeit $65 if my client would get back $484!! I feel I would easily make that back on future bookings by having a happy customer..and maybe a few referrals to boot!

What perplexes me is the delay. Price reduction requests are achieved right away when you call Carnival's booking line. They may put you on hold for a minute or two but they don't make you wait days.

Good luck. Unless you have an unusual type of booking, you should be able to get a price adjustment if the price goes down for your booked category.

Okay, now I'm confused... you said "I have (2) 6B cabins that I paid 1760.10 for a 5 day cruise" But now you are saying the total was $1276 but that difference is the military discount... so this difference you are talking about is the military discount?? Because the difference between $1760 and $1276 seems to be the amount you are asking for in OBC. What was the rate you actually paid with the military discount?? And what is the new rate? Because Carnival's rate is $1760 right now... so if you paid less than that because of the military discount... how are you coming up with $484????

Also, an attorney really can't do much... you said that Carnival emailed you that rate, but you booked with a TA. What does your contract say? If your contract price is lower and they charged you more, then yes... an attorney might be helpful.

It's simple math! I paid 1760.10 in full. The new rate for the EXACT samething yesterday was 1276.10 SO I have a 484.00 OBC. Both rates are with a military discount. My attorney said that IF I was already billed for a higher rate than is being offered now then I'm entitled to an OBC and commision is not my problem.

How can they 'lose' money? They will make a commission in any event..it comes down to how much. The commission they would lose on the $484 is perhaps about $65. I would gladly forfeit $65 if my client would get back $484!! I feel I would easily make that back on future bookings by having a happy customer..and maybe a few referrals to boot!

What perplexes me is the delay. Price reduction requests are achieved right away when you call Carnival's booking line. They may put you on hold for a minute or two but they don't make you wait days.

Good luck. Unless you have an unusual type of booking, you should be able to get a price adjustment if the price goes down for your booked category.

I'm with you on this! I have NO idea why there is a wait when it only takes a few minutes?? They keep saying that they (TA) had to send Carnival something and they won't receive it until Monday since the office (Carnival) was closing. I did all this yesterday around 3-4pm.

It's simple math! I paid 1760.10 in full. The new rate for the EXACT samething yesterday was 1276.10 SO I have a 484.00 OBC. Both rates are with a military discount. My attorney said that IF I was already billed for a higher rate than is being offered now then I'm entitled to an OBC and commision is not my problem.

The $1760 is a military rate? Because that's exactly what I would pay... and I'm not military :confused: That is the going rate... the rate you paid doesn't appear to be a military rate.... Also, you stated you saw this price drop on Carnival's site, but do they put military rates online? The current rate, is $1760. See where my confusion comes in?? LOL

And I'm not sure your attorney is correct, has he read the contract? They don't have to honor price drops...

The $1760 is a military rate? Because that's exactly what I would pay... and I'm not military :confused: That is the going rate... the rate you paid doesn't appear to be a military rate.... Also, you stated you saw this price drop on Carnival's site, but do they put military rates online? The current rate, is $1760. See where my confusion comes in?? LOL

And I'm not sure your attorney is correct, has he read the contract? They don't have to honor price drops...

Again I CALLED Carnival and asked them because I seen online that the rates were cheaper and I knew it would be even cheaper if I called due to the military rate. I booked this cruise over 6 months ago so back when the rate with military was 1760.10 and if I'm not mistaken the org. rate was 2,300 approx. so it was a deal!

Chris, military rates are NOT online, you have to ask for them.

I've seen the same thing happen.....regular rates go down, but our interline (airline discount) doesnt. Still do better with interline rates though.

LOL Vicki, that is why I'm confused... she said that she saw the rates had gone down online, however, the rates online are exactly what she said she originally paid... I didn't think they had military rates online, now I know I'm not crazy :p

Bingo. Unless the OP has something in her invoice from the TA stating that they will honor the price drop then she is at the mercy of the TA to give her the discount. They have no legal obligation to do so.

Again I CALLED Carnival and asked them because I seen online that the rates were cheaper and I knew it would be even cheaper if I called due to the military rate. I booked this cruise over 6 months ago so back when the rate with military was 1760.10 and if I'm not mistaken the org. rate was 2,300 approx. so it was a deal!

AGAIN, you didn't explain it very well, and I was (am) confused. You apparently thought 1760 was "a deal", and just because regular rates go down, does not mean the military rate goes down as well, or that they have to honor the new rate especially after final payment. You keep saying "you have 484 OBC", but you don't, unless they feel like giving it... I understand you are upset, but you were happy with the deal you originally got... don't let this ruin your cruise.

AGAIN, you didn't explain it very well, and I was (am) confused. You apparently thought 1760 was "a deal", and just because regular rates go down, does not mean the military rate goes down as well, or that they have to honor the new rate especially after final payment. You keep saying "you have 484 OBC", but you don't, unless they feel like giving it... I understand you are upset, but you were happy with the deal you originally got... don't let this ruin your cruise.

Yes 1760.10 is a good deal BUT isn't that why you are told to keep looking for price drops for a better deal?? I was doing what my TA told me to do. He also told me and I have it in my contract that if the rates drop up to 48 hours prior then I will be issued a ShipBoard credit IF my cruise is paid in full.

I think anyone would jump on this deal and save 484.00 in a credit. :)

The military credit is a GREAT deal and I'm going to take advantage of it.

You are so worng that you are "entitled" to the OBC, UNLESS the agency has a policy of adjusting rates to a new lower fare being offered by the cruiseline.

It's plain and simple... the agency either has this policy or does not.

I think it would however be in their best interest to give you some type of OBC so as to put this issue to rest !

You are so worng that you are "entitled" to the OBC, UNLESS the agency has a policy of adjusting rates to a new lower fare being offered by the cruiseline.

It's plain and simple... the agency either has this policy or does not.

I think it would however be in their best interest to give you some type of OBC so as to put this issue to rest !

It IS in their policy, I read it. I agree it would be smart for them to put this to rest because it's making them look bad. I'm in the right here 100%, it's them who are looking bad.

Sixty-five posts and not a single picture. This horse is not only dead, but has been to the glue factory and beyond. St. Love, good luck. I'm tired of reading. ;)

LOL what pic? Also not one held you up and told you to read lol! Your the dead horse...

St. Love

Just about everybody here would be fighting just as hard as you are to receive their OBC. What I dont understand is why they are telling you that they have to wait until Monday to resolve this. This is something that the TA could call Carnival and speak with a supervisor and resolve it. I know because I use to work for a theme park in Orlando booking their vacation packages and this is what we would do with refunds, etc. This is not a matter that has to wait until Finance returns. Another little secret.... with a corporation that big, they will have someone there that is in finance on the weekends, but they are mostly playing catch up through the week. If we had any difficult ones that came through, our supervisors were allowed to go to this person and resolve the client issue.

What I dont understand is why they are telling you that they have to wait until Monday to resolve this.

Perhaps it is because it involves a military discount(?) and the people who approve or disapprove may not be available. I booked a Carnival military discount on a Sunday, (through a TA, btw) and I had to wait until Monday to be charged on my credit card. (Forget about an OBC - I couldn't even get them to TAKE my money.) I faxed my paperwork to show eligibility, then waited for approval and the charge to go through.

Maddle

Maddle

Because you have to fax in all the paper work showing that you are eligible for the Millitary discount, they would wait to charge your credit card. It would cost them money if they were to refund the money back to your credit card. Example... My mother booked a millitary rate. She is not millitary. They already charged her card at time of booking even though they did not have the proof. They find out that her documentation is not hers or she was not in the millitary long enough, etc. They call back and tell her that the price will go up $400. Well, now she doesnt want it since she is not getting the discount. If they had already charged her credit card, they would have to submit a refund request to finance and then put it through to the credit card company. Once the credit card company receives it, they charge Carnival for the refund to be applied back to the credit card holder. (I dont remember how much the fee is, but after so many a day, it adds up. Just a way for them to keep cost down.) Sorry for the example, but I was just trying to make my explination clear since I dont always make sense to others but myself sometimes. :)

What I don't understand is the OP's use of "military discount" and "military rate" and furthermore "military credit". Each term seems to me to be distinctly different. We booked our Alaska cruise through my father's military credentials and were told that it is not a "credit", but is a "discount" on the "rate".

I'm not a fan of TAs and agree that there are some bad apples that ruin it for the bunch. I hope the OP gets this resolved. But I am worried that this experience might make her so vigilant on the cruise that she won't even enjoy it. Using terms like "100% in the right" isn't necessarily wise. And I agree with the poster that said that there are 3 sides to every story. Sage wisdom...

OP, good luck with this. Try to enjoy your cruise no matter what happens. Try to remember that you catch more flies with honey. No one thinks you shouldn't get what is due to you. The question is what exactly is due to you. TAs operate differently than PVPs (Carnival direct)

Personally, I think this whole matter would have been resolved alot better without all the threats (calling bbb, contacting a lawyer).Geeez.......Hope nothing goes wrong on your cruise;)

Like some of the other posters mentioned they probably have to wait til Monday to find out how much ....if any.... comission they have to credit back.

Anyway hope it works out.

cruisinsly - I do understand that my card wasn't charged until they knew I qualified, and that is my point exactly - how can anyone promise the OP a credit if they don't know if she can have the military rate....and if the Carnival personnel that make the decision are not working today....well, if they are not going to take any money from a pax that may or may not qualify, they surely are not going to be giving any credits back until they check the OP's credetials.

Maddle

I was doing what my TA told me to do. He also told me and I have it in my contract that if the rates drop up to 48 hours prior then I will be issued a ShipBoard credit IF my cruise is paid in full.

Well, it was not until post #63 that the OP finally mentioned this little detail--but it is the critical factor in answering her question. Her guarantee of OBC is from her TA, not Carnival. Carnival no longer price protects after final payment, but some TA's can still get it and I am sure this TA will be trying to recover as much of the price as they can from Carnival. Which may be why they 'have' to wait until the finance dept. opens for business. But ultimately, it is the TA who must pony up the difference. OP has the current rates as faxed by Carnival today to support her claim and it is clearly more than 48 hours before the cruise.

Maddle--OP originally booked at a Military discounted rate. Carnival and the TA both already know it and have checked her credentials when she first booked 6 months ago. That status is not in question.

GoinCruisin and whoever else: There are at least 3 online TA sites that I know of that DO show the current Carnival military rates, although Carnival itself does not. And for this sailing, it is now $179 pp for a cat 6A/B. 3rd and 4th person rates are the same.

Archived