Looking for Rotorua hotel recommendations

State fans

We're going to spend about 3 nights in Rotorua on the US summer. I'm looking for good "value" hotels. I'm looking at the Sport of Kings right now.

KiwiIan - there's only 2 of us. Could we join another group for one of your tours? Shoot me an email at breevans@hotmail.com.

Hi there, depends what you mean by good value. If you want to be close to the lake and the downtown area then we could suggest the Novotel [one of the better hotels in town] or its slightly lower price option the IBIS which is almost next door, both are about 150 meters from the lake. Another good hotel is Rydges Hotel, have way between the lake and the geothermals of Te Puia. Other options would be smaller boutique or B&B style accommodation, rooms can usually be found from $80 NZ per night [double] breakfast extra. Top end would be the 5 star plus TREETOPS lodge, around $1200 per night but the place where the likes of Tom Cruise and Bill Clinton stay.

If you want any further help witrh this or other NZ stuff just post. Regards Ian {tauranga]

rotorua is great...youll love it...especially if you are young at heart....try the "Luge" a "go cart" ride down the side of a hill. I love taking overseas tourist friends down there from Auckland but i have to say everytime I have stayed at the "Tiarra"...(the old SHereton)...it has been a complete disaster....

We stayed at the Princes Gate Hotel near the "downtown" area and loved it.

The Princes Gate hotel is one of the oldest in NZ, i think from about 1897! Its a smaller hotel with lots of character but is not up there with the modern 4 star ones like the Novotel, so its down to your preference. Great location though, right on the edge of the Government gardens and close to town and the lake etc. Regards Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
The Princes Gate hotel is one of the oldest in NZ, i think from about 1897! Its a smaller hotel with lots of character but is not up there with the modern 4 star ones like the Novotel, so its down to your preference. Great location though, right on the edge of the Government gardens and close to town and the lake etc. Regards Ian.

Good Point. The hotel rooms and the plumbing are renovated. Yes, it has Old World character and a local feel. Those that want 4 Star modern perhaps won't like it.

Archived