How do you cope with Worry?

SHIPMEOUT

I just called Travelex and they specifically told me that since my father in law is already ill, this would not be a covered expense, even under the pre-existing condition rule. Something about the waiver only being good if you, say, have a sore leg at the time you buy the insurance, but it gets worse as you get to the sailing forcing you to cancel/interrupt the trip. I think this stinks and as such, will probably not use Travelex, but anyone should check with their carrier to make sure their particular circumstance is covered. You cannot really get aroudnthis b/c my FIL has documentation that he is in fact dying and the insurance company woudl ahve access to those records.

Kinda make the preexisting condition clause moot in my opinion, but it is what it is.

Anyone have a similar situation that they were covered under, please let me (us) know

I just called TravelGuard and they said that since it is within the wiaver period it woudl be covered. I believe that the rep at Travelex was mistaken, but cannot rpove one way or another, so will be goign with TravelGuard most likely.

I called Travelsafe and they offer higher coverage rates that TravelGuard and the CSR told me that any death related to my FILs situation (which is our concern) would be covered but that if he just got sicker and we wanted to cancel, no go. (Un)fortunately, he is past the point where he will get any sicker, short of passing away, so based on my conversation with their CSR (who went away and verified that hospice was covered only for death), I went with them. Hope to not have to be concenred with it at all, but.............

We can't change our feelings so easily, they just are what they are.

But, don't put life on hold, if you do, it's over and you turn around and have a lot of regrets.

I'll have to say that I would want to just be kept on ice and not tell family of my demise until they return. I've lost enough family members to know that you will grieve just as much no matter how much time has passed since you last saw them, what you last said to them, what their age was. That my family wouldn't know for a few days would not be important to me, I would want them to enjoy their vacation, bad news can wait. We also have had the experience that we find it better to not rush into a funeral or memorial for the deceased. A weeks wait is not a long time and it allows people who have to travel some extra time to prepare.

My SIL lost her husband this year. She waited 4 months to have a memorial for him and it was the nicest I've ever attended. She wanted the weather to be nice and to have it at a hotel at the beach. The day was perfect, the garden was lovely, all his friends and family could attend, he would have loved it.

So, what if you cancel and your dear mother lives for several more years? Will you forego your entire life until that time? I would think she would not want that for you. Enjoy the moments in life while you can.

UTE Fan - Thank you I needed to hear that today. I'm not going to see Dad on the other side of town this weekend and am staying home for the first time in over a month - we need a break but feel guilty so it was nice to hear. We just downloaded yesterday the Ob-la-di song by the beatles (although they have a latin beat version we got that was tropical).

I took Travel Guard. The pre existing condition clause only applies to those traveling not those left behind. So it covers my father in law since he is staying behind. I did not buy it in time for preexisting on hubby and me. It was confusing but essensially if you or those traveling with you have pre existing medical condtions that is what they are worried about. If a family member that is being left behind does that is covered no matter what to either let you cancel or fly you home - depending on the coverage you buy. I didnt' buy the cheapest but the next higher one and on a $1000 cruise or $500 per person it was $30 a person or $60 total for the coverage - a lot cheaper than the cruise line and it did cover more. You can go to the website and print off the actual policy and read all the fine print - I did. It makes it clearer although a tedious process of reading small print it is more understanding. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Debbie -- I'm glad that I posted then. I was afraid it was getting a little too personal for an internet board, but felt like someone might need to hear the message. While it is very hard to go and leave someone that you love in failing health, sometimes you need the break to recharge your mental state so that you can deal with the issues when you return.

I have a co-worker whose FIL was on hospice care several years ago for cirrhosis (sp??) of the liver. They went home every weekend, from Minnesota to South Dakota, for 2 or 3 months, just so they'd have a last chance to see him. He was expected to go at any time, and lived another 10 years. Shortly before he passed away, his daugher and her family were scheduled to go on a Disney cruise. They talked to him, explained the situation, and he told them to go. They went on their cruise, had a wonderful time, arrived home, told him good bye, and he died several hours later.

The point is, none of us know exactly when death is likely to occur. How many stories have you heard about someone who was given 6 months to live, and either went in 6 weeks or died in 2 years? We have to live our own lives, and take advantage of the opportunities that we have to spend time with our loved ones.

I know, it's easier said than done. My own mother is approaching 90, has had a mastectomy, a broken hip, and severe osteoporosis. Everytime we leave town, I worry what might happen. I make sure she knows where we're going, check in where possible, and let her know she's loved and we're thinking about her.

Happy cruising!

UTE Fan - like you said you have to live your life but like you know too and the original poster thinks - it is harder said than done to let go and not worry your self sick. I do need to hear it is ok. Sometimes I feel so guilty. LAst weekend was one of those times since we did not go to the other side of town 1 1/2 hrs away to see Dad in the Hospital. Weather was going to be bad and we had been going every weekend for over a month - really just about every weekend for the past 2 years. We get so worn down and exhausted and we just needed a break but it was hard not going to see him in the rehab and I was feeling guilty so it was great to hear from you. I know so many including me say buy insurance but it still doesn't stop the worry - I'm trying to learn though. :rolleyes:

My grandmother was bed ridden a few times and was so sick on and off for many years - everyone thought she'd die and then she would come back. She out lived almost all her siblings, her husband and friends - till 93 years old. Who knows???? :o

Dad is making us feel guilty too so it doesn't help but we have to learn to deal with it and go on or we will be right beside him in a bed in that hospital ourselves! :eek: We upgraded to a balcony and didnt' tell him - he wouldnt' like it I know. Some older people aren't so understanding. He says why go away - all your problems will be here when you get back - he just doesn't understand that we are so much more capable of taking care of the problems and the problems seem smaller when you can get away from them for a week. OH well. Be lucky if you have an older person not trying to hold you back... :confused: Thanks again - it is hard to fight the guilt when they aren't helping! Debbie

Debbie -- I'm sorry to hear that you're burdened with one of the ones who likes to make you feel guilty. I'm lucky that way -- my Mom is one of the ones who hardly ever says an unkind word to anyone, and worries more about the rest of us than herself. She's understandably nervous when we leave -- especially if my sisters and I are all gone at once, which has happened on a couple of occasions, but would never think of playing the guilt card to get us to stay home.

Hope everything works out ok for you.

Archived