Credit cards in Venice?

Thanks for the info! Just wondering if you had an idea of when the need for cash vs credit was important in Venice. I am trying to figure out how much euro to get and to be honest, we are so used to using credit cards (racking up those freebies) that we rarely use cash these days. ;)

Just got back from that area and here is what I found.

Most places, including the vaporetti take credit cards. Some small restaurants do not.

Notify your credit card companies in advance of your trip so they do not turn them off if they can not contact you. Also find out thier charge. I found that American Express charged a 1% fee on top of the charges you got but Visa and Mastercard charge 3%. So better to use American Express. However, not all places took American Express.

You should get some money at the air port before you leave but don't go crazy. You get a much better rate at the ATMs. Also check with your bank again. I have several banks and several ATM cards and found the charges were better with one than the other.

All and all it was very easy to get the cash needed. We did have issues putting an amount in that was higher than the preprinted amounts (couldn't figure out the decimal points) so we just selected the highest amount.

Archived