band playing at southampton?

piggy-place

i am going on my first cruise on the 23 sep:D (only 13 days!!) we are sailing on the Legend of the seas to west med. i have read loads of stuff on this site about cruising, some people are saying that a band played when the ship left port at southampton, is this always done? i am soooooooo excited its the first thing on my mind when i wake up and the last thing on my mind when i go to sleep. All the posts i have read on this site have been so helpful, so many questions answered and tips given thank you. :)

HI

I have travelled from Southampton 3/4 times and have always have a band playing. I was travelling with P & O though and if I remember rightly when we travelled on Princess we did not get the band playing

So not sure whether it is only P & O or we was just unlucky on the occassion with the Princess cruise.

But I am sure you will have a great time what ever. Though the band playing is a nice touch

Tina

i am going on my first cruise on the 23 sep:D (only 13 days!!) we are sailing on the Legend of the seas to west med. i have read loads of stuff on this site about cruising, some people are saying that a band played when the ship left port at southampton, is this always done? i am soooooooo excited its the first thing on my mind when i wake up and the last thing on my mind when i go to sleep. All the posts i have read on this site have been so helpful, so many questions answered and tips given thank you. :)

Hi there...I know how excited you must be with just 13 days to go. Rest assured.. you have made an excellent choice of ship and chosen a wonderful itinerary. You are in for the time of your life. My husband and I had our first cruise last summer on Legend. We loved it so much..we have Just returned 3 weeks ago from our second Med cruise. We took the family this time...and found the experience to be even better than before. We did have a brass band on the pier last year..playing as we departed. Many other cruisers didn't. I was extremely excited...as they were right outside of our cabin window..which was pierside deck 3. Like you...I hoped for a special sendoff. So this band seemed amazing food fortune..though it was met with pouring rain just as the lines were dropped and we pulled away.

This year....we were greeted with beautiful sunshine...no brass band..but no disappointment either. There was still music for sailaway. On the pool deck.. in the form of the resident entertainers..who played reggae and island music...as well as pop. It was a great atmosphere. People were already swimming in the pool. Decks were full...cocktails flowed. It Really put you in the holiday mood.They are a very talented duo. Entertaining at all the parties on deck..lunchtime bar b ques..and departures from ports. The female vocalist has an excellent voice. You will certainly enjoy them.. and everything else about Legend. she is a beautiful ship...with a fantastic crew...and a great atmosphere. If you have any questions..just ask. Wishing you a wonderful, wonderful cruise. Be sure to keep us posted on your return. Regards, Carol

:D hi carol thanks for the quick reply. you have made it whole experiance sound fantastic. I've got to the stage of wanting to scream everytime i think about it !! i do have a question, if we choose to dine in another place rather than the 8oclock sitting in the dinning room that we have booked, do we have to inform anyone ? Lisax

Hi

Just thought I would have to contribute.

Came off my first cruise over 7 months ago and have had a holiday in Spain since.

But.............I am boring my husband about the cruise and the subsequent one we have booked next year. In fact I wittered for over an hour last night. LOL

The sail away was just magic, and the one place I wanted to be when we left port was on deck. FANTASTIC

hi gedam, thanks for your input. i think i'm boring the pants off everyone around me over the past 14 months talking about the cruise constantly.....can you imagine how bad its going to get once i have actually stepped foot on the ship. i am in no doubt that if this holiday is half as good as i hope it will be i'll be booking another as soon as i get back. i have NEVER been on holiday before, i am scared of flying, i'm nearly 40 years old and never left the uk !! Lisa :o

hi gedam, thanks for your input. i think i'm boring the pants off everyone around me over the past 14 months talking about the cruise constantly.....can you imagine how bad its going to get once i have actually stepped foot on the ship. i am in no doubt that if this holiday is half as good as i hope it will be i'll be booking another as soon as i get back. i have NEVER been on holiday before, i am scared of flying, i'm nearly 40 years old and never left the uk !! Lisa :o

Hi Ya Lisa...

I am always pleased to come across people as enthusiastic as I am. It is a great attitude to go on a cruise with... I will be absolutely amazed... "If you Do NOt have the time of your Life!! " I never stopped talking about last years cruise on Legend...both before I went and after I returned. It was to be a one off special holiday. I had cruised nearly 30 years before...and never expected a return. My husband booked it especially for me. We were really scared we had done the right thing. we had never as a couple... had anything like this holiday. Or ever spent this much money....but It was absolutely amazing. And when " my husband" loved it so much...that he decided to book us again for this year..I never believed it would really happen. It was just too good to be true. I kept the memory alive by chatting on these boards. Where I also met Gedem.. Who I am sending A Big hello!! We enjoyed Talking about Legend...and meeting fellow cruisers. something that bored my family at home.But it gave me loads of joy.. so feel free to talk away.

What I can also tell you..... is that I made my second cruise...and I cannot go by a single day without saying "Thank you God"...for my good fortune...and without remembering some wonderful moment onboard. It truly is a dream come true. I was every bit as excited about this cruise.... as my first. In fact..even more so. For me it is the problem of forcing myself to sleep onboard..or just sitting down for a rest. I am just so overwhelmed by all the beauty of the ship..the excitement of all the people and activities. I am always on the go... afraid I am going to miss something. we had two..14 day cruises..The Classic med last year..and The med Treasures this year.The ports were just beautiful. The crew onboard made us so welcome. The fellow passengers were so very friendly.

The food was wonderful.. and the dining room very, very elegant. I sat on the lower level last year...deck 4. Table 142.. by the large windows on starboard side. it was a table for 8 and we were seated with another family. We were very nervous the first night..but they were lovely. This year we were on the balcony...deck 5...table 021 portside.. overlooking the piano and stairs.It was wonderful. We enjoyed the music so much and the parade the waiters put on for the passengers. We had a front row seat.

You mention wanting to eat elsewhere. There is the Windjammer...all glass enclosed...with awesome views over the sea...and the Bow of the ship. The food is served as a buffet..with many choices. Several food counters..offeng a Salad station..breads and soups...hot dishes..meats and vegs..a carvery counter..(offering a roast of the day)... and desserts. They also did 3 special theme nights this cruise...An italian..A Chinese..and an indian. We ate at the Italian night. The decorations..and the display of food is a work of art.

We did inform the dining room on nights we would be missing..as another couple were seated at our table. Again we were at a table for 8..but our daughters and their boyfiends were along this time. Normally the waiter will wait for all to be present..before taking orders and bringing the food. So it is good manners to inform them if you are missing. i know you will have a wondeful time.. Any other questions..don't hesitate to ask.

btw...what ports are you visiting on your cruise? Only 11 days to go. Be sure to get to southampton early if you can. You will be permitted to board around 11.30..possibly even a little earlier as it is not high season. Lunch will be ready for you in the Windjammer. Cabins were to be ready at 2pm this year..but onboard they changed it to 1pm. If your bags arrive quickly...don't rush to unpack. Have a good wander around the ship before everyone arrives. this is A good time to take photos fo the ship..and check out your table in the dining room. On your seapass...the table number and dining time are listed. Wishing you all the Best..Carol

hi carol, we are driving to southampton on the day before we board as i dont want to risk anything going wrong. our ports of call are vigo, lisbon, la roshelle and st peter port. i have been waiting for 14 months for this come round and the excitement is getting out of hand, i really do hope that it will be everything i think it will. i am a bit worried about the bay of biscay if its rough, as i have read some bad things about it on this site. thanks for your advice on the dinning situation. i cant wait to see the ship for the first time, i think i will pass out with excitment when it comes to getting on it, ill be the nutter running up and down with the camera taking pics of everything, i have bought 7 memory cards for my camera, one for each day we are away (the family are going to love that when i print them all off)! regards LISA xx:D

Archived