11:15 flight too early after Conquest?

Balamb

Can anyone tell me whether we should book an 11:15 or a 2:30 flight home from New Orleans after our Conquest cruise? The difference is that the earlier flight costs $60 less per person than the later flight, but is it too early? Please, Conquest travelers, advise me on what to do!

I'd spend the extra $60. 11:15 means you should plan on being at the airport at 9:15...which means you should plan on leaving the ship at 8:30. While theoretically possible that all that could happen, it's more probable something will go wrong. :)

I agree! My choices were 12:30 and 3:30. I wanted to book the 12:30 flight, and I know I almost certainly could make it without any problems. But, I'd be worried about it. I have missed flights after cruises twice, and it's a very stressful experience. The first time I was standby on three different flights before I was finally able to leave. The second time, I couldn't get out till the next day. I decided to play it safe and booked the 3:30 flight after Conquest.

You might be able to make an 11:15 flight, but you'd really be cutting it close. All it takes is one person who fails to show up for immigration or a few people with S&S account problems to hold up debarkation. The 2:30 flight is much safer, and you'll be able to relax and not worry about racing to the airport in time.

If you decide on the 11:15 flight, you might want to consider packing light and going with the "no assist" luggage option. That way, you'd the first off the ship and would already have all your luggage with you. Of course, you'd want to catch a cab to the airport because there wouldn't be time to wait for a shuttle.

Good luck.

I would take the later flight. Why stress and rush after a great vacation.

You can take a leisurely last breakfast. Go around and look into the cabins so you know what kind of category you want for the next time. After the masses get off hunting for luggage is no longer a problem as most of its gone.

I would strongly suggest the later flight!

Carnival acutally suggests NO outbound flights prior to 2pm, but folks do book earlier. Even though you'd save the $60pp, peace of mind in knowing you'll be on your flight should be worth it.

Besides, our airport can be such a fun place. Sometimes there are Jazz bands, and always great people-watching! Have some beignets and cafe au lait, pick up a few N'awlins souveniers, and chill till your plane leaves. Enjoy!:)

I would take the later flight. Why stress and rush after a great vacation.

You can take a leisurely last breakfast. Go around and look into the cabins so you know what kind of category you want for the next time. After the masses get off hunting for luggage is no longer a problem as most of its gone.

Serene,

can you explain how you can stay around as you suggest. I thought if your luggage color is called you must go with that particular group. Are you holding up the next color if you don't come when called? I wouldn't mind hanging around as you suggest, since our flite time is not until 3:30PM

. I thought if your luggage color is called you must go with that particular group. Are you holding up the next color if you don't come when called? I wouldn't mind hanging around as you suggest, since our flite time is not until 3:30PM

You generally can't leave earlier than your color is called....but you can leave later. Usually until about 10:30-11am (that's when the last color is often called).

Just keep in mind that the NO airport is in Kenner, LA., and is about a 30-40 minute drive (on a GOOD day) from the pier on Julia St. I've seen some REALLY long security lines at the NO airport, too. Take the later flight, just to be on the safe side. BTW...there is a great little cafe at the airport that has some of the best beignets you'll ever eat! Load up on N'Awlins Tobasco, too...but not with your beignets!

When they first call your color==everyone with that color will get to the gate. Since my flights have always been later I am in no great rush to get off. First one on---last one off. (LOL)

On the voyager it was kinda eriery with no one around..we never even seen ship staff. On the Victory we just walked the halls and checked out cabins to see the different categories. Or find places we can stow away for the next week-places that we cant be found until its too late.

It is way easier to find luggage too

Being the last ones off we were always off by 10=11 or so lots of time to get the later flight.

We just got off the Conquest today. I would go with the later flight. We were on the main deck, and were not called off the ship until 9:25. By the time we got our luggage, and outside it was 10:00. We live in New Orleans. The traffic here can be difficult at times especially if there is something going on at the superdome which you have to pass to get to the airport. I would not chance being late for my flight.

Cathy

Any other questions, let me know. Are you coming in on Saturday. Let me know if you need suggestions on a place to stay.

Any other questions, let me know. Are you coming in on Saturday. Let me know if you need suggestions on a place to stay.
Hi Cathy,

I'm flying into New Orleans two days before my Conquest cruise. I've already got a room at the Doubletree (please don't say anything too bad -- it's been paid for via Priceline :D ) There are a group of us meeting at the St. Louis Cathedral for a private Haunted History Tour on Friday night (2 nights before Halloween). Any restaurant recommendations in the Cathedral area? We'd be looking for a place that's fun with good food.

I haven't decided yet what to do Saturday morning & afternoon. I'll likely be on my own, which is just fine with me. I was thinking of taking the street car to the Garden District and taking a tour or perhaps taking a cooking class at the Louisiana General Store. Is there anything else that you think would be fun? I've only been in New Orleans briefly (port of call on Sensation), and I want to make the most of my time in your incredible city.

My wife and I are considering taking the Conquest out of New Orleans and are debating whether we should book air with the cruise line or book our own air transportation. What is the best way to get between the airport and the dock on your own and what are the approximate costs?

Thanks

Does Carnival offer transportation services in New Orleans?spacer.gif

Advance Reservations for Transfers: New Orleans International Airport - Port of New Orleans This service will be available on the day of embarkation and immediately following debarkation only:

One Way; $23.00

Roundtrip; $46.00

Transfer/Meet and Greet Service

24 hours: "upon arrival" at Baggage Claim motor coach service begins at 10:30am

Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 5:30PM

Carnival Conquest

• Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 3:30PM
  • Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:30PM

Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Bob: you will save tons of money booking the airfare on your own. Fly in the day before and get a hotel using priceline. You will arrive for your cruise stress free and rested.- you get to pick your own flights that you are comfortable with.. (not paying the air diviation the cruise lines want you to pay for to get those flights you want.)

Cathy

\

I saw that someone posted about a hotel right next door to the pier and they just walked across....is that true? if so, what is the name?

Otherwise, what hotel would you recommend?

We are sailing out on 8-29 and are thinking of coming in on Friday night, maybe doing the zoo on saturday day and french quarter sat night then sail out on sunday...what do you think?

NinaCo, I recommend Tujaques. It is just a block from the cathedral. Small and reservations must be made for a group.

Check out the New Orleans Transportation company. Find the airport site on-line. We pre-booked our transfers to the hotel and from the pier @ $28 per person total. They provide the same ship transfers, you just get on the large motorcoach. They stop at most major hotels for pre-stays taking you in vans. The Hotel at the Riverside is the Hilton. However, the convention center is huge and in between to the pier. It is at least a mile walk. I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying luggage that far.

For a great tour check out Dixietours.com. They offer a 3 + hour all enclusive tour of NOLA. It was a great way to get acclimated to this area. To answer the question of whether to book air with the cruise line, I must say no. Plan on at least one night pre-stay, get a hotel on Priceline, and enjoy this great City.

Bon Voyage

Definitely fliy in early by at least one day. Regarding your return, if you don't wan't to have any worries, fly home the following day. We came in early and it paid off. Also, if you miss your flight home, there is always another plane. If you miss the boat out, well, you just miss the boat. Do what you can so you aren't bound to a tight schedule.

If you book the later flight and make it to the airport on time for the first one, you may be able to fly stand-by. That is what I usually do. The earlier flights sometimes seem to have more stand-by seats than the later flights, but I would book the later so you do not miss it and get stuck.Have a great trip.

Doubletree, boy am I impressed. You picked a GOOD one. I am not sure of your interests, but we have a wonderful zoo, acquarium, Chalmette Battle field (place where the battle of New Orleans was fought. There is a coining mint, the french market, and lots of antique stores in the quarter.

For places to eat, do you like fancy or fun? There are lots of good places for seafood that are not fancy, but good. Remember, if they ask if you want a dressed sandwich, they want to know if you want lettece and tomatos. Cafe Massparrows is one of my favorite sandwich shops, they have great New Orleans style po-boys (very large sandwich). Brennan's is a nice fancy place, but you can still go in shorts during the day. There food is wonderful, but sort of high in price. Let me know some more of your interests and I will try to help.

Cathy

Archived