Another Jumper???

stutz

I don't think it is too difficult to understand. They saw her "Saturday night" presumably meaning at or after dinner. If there weren't specific plans to meet, it isn't all that difficult to miss someone all day. She apparently didn't show up for dinner Sunday, but that wouldn't necessarily trigger any great concern for many people. Maybe a voicemail, but I wouldn't report it to security unless there was something more.

They reported her missing Monday morning, probably when she didn't show for disembarkation, but that really amounts to a day and a half at best.

I can't imagine going on a cruise with a family member, or even friends and not having contact with them for 36 hours! I'm sorry, but that's just weird. You're tellling me you wouldn't wonder where she was all day Sunday? Glad I"m not cruising with you! :D

My TA has a little blurb on her website about family members should not allow their loved ones who are depressed and may be suicidal on cruises.

She states that the "call of the sea" is very great for people with suicidal tendencies. (She is not a psychologist by the way) When one gazes out over the sea it does tend to be somewhat mesmerizing. Add that to a few drinks? Hopefully that or foul play is very rare on ship. I doubt that the overall percentage of suicides/foul play is any greater on board than on your own city streets.

As much as one might try to avoid some members of their family, I have to agree that to not have contact for 36 hours is a bit much.

I was on the Freedom with an ex mother in law and while I did not know her exact whereabouts, it was just natural to touch bas--so what did you do? Etc.

As much as one might try to avoid some members of their family, I have to agree that to not have contact for 36 hours is a bit much.

I was on the Freedom with an ex mother in law and while I did not know her exact whereabouts, it was just natural to touch bas--so what did you do? Etc.

I agree - we travel with others and for many years - sons, in-laws, outlaws -- but we always are checking in or getting into some kind of mischief:eek: . Thinking this was a 2 stop cruise - could she have failed to return to the ship from shore??

Our checkin-is when we return we leave a voice mail if no one can be found in their cabins, etc., so no one worries -- we all kinda keep an eye out -- this way more mischief.

What was she doing by herself??? :confused: Even tho my DH likes to read, smoke a pipe & sip a cup of java & NEVER leaves the ship -- I know exactly where to find him. 36 hours & no one was concerned:rolleyes: ? the ship would be in pieces if it were one of our family or travelers:eek: And if it were my son's fiance - 10 mil-seconds.

Just got off the Triumph on Saturday and those railings are very high (and very few decks . . . at least on the Triumph) are open. For someone to climb up and over on purpose . . . well, all I can say is, it would be very hard. I really feel sorry for her family but as prior posters have said . . . if I was traveling with a family member who I had not seen or heard from . . . from Saturday to Monday . . . I think I would have notified someone to check her cabin to be sure she was okay.

My husband and I have travel with just my folks. Also we have done a family cruise with his family of 23 people.

We never have gone that long with out connecting up with our family members. And if someone didn't show up for dinner with out telling someone why they wouldn't be there. We would be looking for them and getting security involved.

Kim

From the CDC.....

Suicide took the lives of 30,622 people in 2001 (CDC 2004).

Suicide rates are generally higher than the national average in the western states and lower in the eastern and midwestern states (CDC 1997).

In 2002, 132,353 individuals were hospitalized following suicide attempts; 116,639 were treated in emergency departments and released (CDC 2004).

In 2001, 55% of suicides were committed with a firearm (Anderson and Smith 2003).

Groups At Risk

Males

• Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death for all U.S. men (Anderson and Smith 2003).
  • Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than females (CDC 2004).
  • Suicide rates are highest among Whites and second highest among American Indian and Native Alaskan men (CDC 2004).
  • Of the 24,672 suicide deaths reported among men in 2001, 60% involved the use of a firearm (Anderson and Smith 2003).

Females

• Women report attempting suicide during their lifetime about three times as often as men (Krug et al. 2002).

It just makes the news more often when a cruise ship is involved...the news media quivers to be able to report on some nefarious reason why the cruise environment is more susceptible...

It makes better headlines....There would be no headlines at all if they reported every suicide that occurs throughout the U.S.

I can't imagine going on a cruise with a family member, or even friends and not having contact with them for 36 hours! I'm sorry, but that's just weird. You're tellling me you wouldn't wonder where she was all day Sunday? Glad I"m not cruising with you! :D

I agree it would be a little weird, and I would be concerned. When they didn't show for dinner I'd probably call their cabin, go knock on the door, leave a post-it note to please call, etc. Would I call security and report her missing because I hadn't seen her all day (again, assuming there weren't specific plans that were missed)? Sorry, not likely. :)

It sounds like Sunday night was more like 24 hours. When ~36 hours rolled around, they did report her missing. Now, if it hadn't been disembarkation, they may have gone another day... who knows?

• Women report attempting suicide during their lifetime about three times as often as men (Krug et al. 2002).

Very strange. If you assume the reporting is accurate, then men are 12 times more successful per attempt than females...

From the CDC.....

Suicide took the lives of 30,622 people in 2001 (CDC 2004).

Suicide rates are generally higher than the national average in the western states and lower in the eastern and midwestern states (CDC 1997).

In 2002, 132,353 individuals were hospitalized following suicide attempts; 116,639 were treated in emergency departments and released (CDC 2004).

In 2001, 55% of suicides were committed with a firearm (Anderson and Smith 2003).

Groups At Risk

Males

• Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death for all U.S. men (Anderson and Smith 2003).
  • Suicide rates are highest among Whites and second highest among American Indian and Native Alaskan men (CDC 2004).
  • Of the 24,672 suicide deaths reported among men in 2001, 60% involved the use of a firearm (Anderson and Smith 2003).

Females

It just makes the news more often when a cruise ship is involved...the news media quivers to be able to report on some nefarious reason why the cruise environment is more susceptible...

It makes better headlines....There would be no headlines at all if they reported every suicide that occurs throughout the U.S.

Since no one knows any facts, why post statistics for suicide and not rape and murder? Not everyone who sails or works on a cruise ship is a nice person. There are evil people in all walks of society. I'm sure they travel on the seas as well.

I'm not saying that I know someone did something to her, but there is no evidence to support suicide at this point either.

I surprised that traveling as a family she wasnt sharing a room with anyone. I know that my family is traveling next year, and we are planning on meeting up at least once a day or having dinner together every night. It just being precautious.

On a happier note, I got to see the Imagination again, got to see my favorite spot off of the Horizon Grill where I spent many an hour on my cruise...

The person she was sharing a cabin with did not notice her bed was not slept in, nothing moved around in the cabin? I know thre are folks who cruise as singles, but not if they are traveling as part of a family or group?

The Imagination is an older ship with outside cabins rather than tons of balcony's like newer ships. If I remember correctly, the suites/verandah cabins all have verandahs that are overtop of another deck, ie, if you were to jump from it, it would be a one story drop at most. Which means that she would have had to jump, fall, be pushed overboard on a public deck where people would/could have seen.

I wonder if she ever even made it back on the ship in Cozumel....I did this trip March 2005. I think it leaves Miami on Thursday, Key West on Friday and then Cozumel on Saturday because Sunday is a sea day heading back to Miami to disembark on Monday. Not to say that something horrible didn't happen in Mexico....

I can't believe the authorities are not suspecting foul play considering no one even questioned where this family member was for a day and a half!

The person she was sharing a cabin with did not notice her bed was not slept in, nothing moved around in the cabin? I know thre are folks who cruise as singles, but not if they are traveling as part of a family or group?

I do. Why would I share a cabin just because I'm with a group of not-quite-strangers? (And I surely don't want to share with family when traveling as a single!) I try to follow the general rule that when on vacation I shouldn't have to give up freedom that I have at home. Dealing with someone else's schedule, and sleeping on a single bed are not acceptible sacrifices to me to save a couple hundred bucks.

Of course, I am also very tidy (when traveling, anyway :o ). With the exception of using towels and not really making the bed, it would be pretty difficult to tell when I come and go from my cabin. And, of course, people do sleep (and shower) in other cabins on occasion.

Which means that she would have had to jump, fall, be pushed overboard on a public deck where people would/could have seen.

Could have seen may be correct. There are a whole lot of secluded areas on most ships where someone could be pushed/fall/jump. Well, falling overboard is pretty darn difficult. Of course, she could have had a cat 11 or 12. We don't know.

I wonder if she ever even made it back on the ship in Cozumel....I did this trip March 2005.

You had to card back in when coming back on the ship, right? I'm sure they checked this as soon as she was reported missing. It's not impossible for the system to fail, but not terribly likely.

Apparently last seen very early Sunday morning (late saturday night) by her 14 year old son....I'd like to think my boys might notice me missing...at least by dinnertime, and menion it to someone! I'm surprised that no one has posted after returning from that trip...perhaps no CC's on board. ..nah never happen.

I surprised that traveling as a family she wasnt sharing a room with anyone. I know that my family is traveling next year, and we are planning on meeting up at least once a day or having dinner together every night. It just being precautious.

Happens all the time... I've cruised with family and friends and had a cabin by myself. Not every adult is going to sleep in a cabin with their parents :p

Now, my family would definitely know something was up WAY before I had been missing for that long... but I'm not going to speculate at this point... the rumor mill I see, is hard at work :D

but I'm not going to speculate at this point... the rumor mill I see, is hard at work :D

Agree - very hard at work. Best to wait until the investigation is complete.

You would think by now that the cruiselines would install several surveillance cameras on all decks, to maybe catch some of these "falls".

There are security cameras... but they would have to put them EVERYWHERE in order to catch some of these. Many people know exactly where they are... people who actually know what they are doing will also know where the cameras are. IF they don't want to be seen, it's very easy not to be seen, just as it is in the real world. People die all the time without witnesses and cameras.

Agree - very hard at work. Best to wait until the investigation is complete.

Agree also, as far as saying what a terrible tragedy, what's to say she didn't stay in Coz and is on the beach sipping a cold one right now. Maybe, just maybe that is why they don't suspect foul play. Just a thought.

Jess

Since no one knows any facts, why post statistics for suicide and not rape and murder? Not everyone who sails or works on a cruise ship is a nice person. There are evil people in all walks of society. I'm sure they travel on the seas as well.

I'm not saying that I know someone did something to her, but there is no evidence to support suicide at this point either.

I didn't bring it up. Just posted the info.

If it makes you feel better, I can post stats for rape and murder too.

She most likely got plastered and did something really, really dumb that put her over the rail. That's what most of these incidents are anyway.

Archived