Brit's Balcony Dawn Blog 9/9/06

Tony, thanks for the photos of your cruise. You have some great shots of the Dawn in there as well as some great shots of Bar Harbor. We were there for a wedding a couple of weekends ago and your photos were a nice remembrance. While the Dawn wasn't in port when we were there we did get to sail on the four masted schooner that is in a couple of your pictures. The wedding was held at the Bar Harbor Inn (Directly across from the Dawn) and we even ate one evening at the restaurant where the tender dropped you off. I've been following your trip, thanks again!

[ATTACH]29223[/ATTACH]

Bob

Thanks for that.

There are loads more to come, I took an amazing 1002 photos on the trip. A lot of them are repetitive, such as loads of the Statue of Liberty, but the ones of Bar Harbour are an opportunity. The weather in the morning was beautiful, the Oli's Trolley was a superb excursion.

The whale watching was a bit of a washout, with only one sighting, which is why I had to improvise with the brilliant postcards that we had bought at the dock, a "photo opportunity" not to be missed.

The Martha's Vineyard pics are pretty, will post them soon.

Natalie is at Bangor Uni now (that's Wales, not Maine). Was a funny feeling leaving her behind as we drove away. Had not re-set my sat nav and it kept telling me to make a U-turn, maybe it figured we had left something behind.

All the best,

Tony, Wendy & Natalie

Tony ~ Glad to hear that Natalie is starting her college life.

Yes, it is some adjustment. I'm still adjusting.

It was great that you all had the cruise together before she started her new venture.

Good Luck. The time passes very quickly. Our youngest is now in his third year of college. I still miss him when he leaves. We give them wings, we must let them fly.

Time to plan your next cruise:)

Tony, your photos are excellent. I was transported back to Martha's Vineyard. You have a shot with Nancy's in the background. We had a very enjoyable lunch on their deck. It was a brilliant day, and the air was wonderful. I loved your creative whale watch photos - positive attitude counts for a lot!

Nice to hear that Natalie is safely off to university. I know you and Wendy are missing her at home. Hopefully she'll be too busy and happy in her new life to be missing you all.

Tony, your photos are excellent. I was transported back to Martha's Vineyard. You have a shot with Nancy's in the background. We had a very enjoyable lunch on their deck. It was a brilliant day, and the air was wonderful. I loved your creative whale watch photos - positive attitude counts for a lot!

Nice to hear that Natalie is safely off to university. I know you and Wendy are missing her at home. Hopefully she'll be too busy and happy in her new life to be missing you all.

Just looked at the photo, had not noticed the upper deck. Would have been up there like a shot. We had looked at Nancys but the Sand Bar seemed a nicer place to sit out. Hadn't noticed upstairs. Have to go back now.

When you look at all the pics, it makes you realise why people want to go up to that part of the world, it's so fresh and beautiful that, given the right weather, anyone can come home with photos to treasure.

Tony ~ Glad to hear that Natalie is starting her college life.

Yes, it is some adjustment. I'm still adjusting.

It was great that you all had the cruise together before she started her new venture.

Good Luck. The time passes very quickly. Our youngest is now in his third year of college. I still miss him when he leaves. We give them wings, we must let them fly.

Time to plan your next cruise:)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, was following your blog and was very entertained by your review at the end. Sounds like you and your sisters had a blast.

Missed out on the Star Bar. Wished I'd gone up there at night now. We just never seemed to have been around there except for the M&G.

If we had gone up there we would have met the other half of our roll-call:)

Is this an excuse to think again about sailing the Dawn again..........................mmmmmm?

Yes it was a special time for the three of us this being the last time before Natalie spreads her wings. It won't be the same again. I am sure that she won't give up the chance of coming with us, but she will have changed.

Tony, thanks for the great photos of Martha's Vineyard. The Gingerbread houses are adorable. I actually live within driving distance (Of the ferry) but have never been there. Now, thanks to you, I want to go. Thanks for the time and effort it took to share all these photos. What type of camera were you using? I need to buy a new one for my cruise in December.

Bob

Tony, thanks for the great photos of Martha's Vineyard. The Gingerbread houses are adorable. I actually live within driving distance (Of the ferry) but have never been there. Now, thanks to you, I want to go. Thanks for the time and effort it took to share all these photos. What type of camera were you using? I need to buy a new one for my cruise in December.

Bob

I have a Pentax Optio S5i

It is so small it will literally fit in an Altoids tin! It really does slip into your pocket easily. I like it because it has a really good zoom lens and loads of features. However, I would not recommend it as the lens is small as is the flash. This means that it works superbly in good light, as it did in Martha's Vineyard, but it is really limited in poor light, particularly with flash. You have to get in really close and the background is poorly lit. The exposure times can be quite long in poor light resulting in camera shake, blurred pictures. I also find that you have to zoom in close to avoid the background light levels making the subject too dark.

Still it is a very compact camera with loads of features including a very acceptable movie image. You can also record sound over images.

I would like to buy a full 35mm SLR Digital to allow decent pics with lots of light and depth of focus. I think DW would kill me, and I'm not sure I would carry it around.

Half the time I don't bother carrying my video and the Pentax sits easily in the pocket. I am not a serious photographer, just like to take home good snaps. My Alaska on the Sun photos were taken on a 2 megapixel point & shoot Olympus and I was impressed with that.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, was following your blog and was very entertained by your review at the end. Sounds like you and your sisters had a blast.

Missed out on the Star Bar. Wished I'd gone up there at night now. We just never seemed to have been around there except for the M&G.

If we had gone up there we would have met the other half of our roll-call:)

Is this an excuse to think again about sailing the Dawn again..........................mmmmmm?

Yes it was a special time for the three of us this being the last time before Natalie spreads her wings. It won't be the same again. I am sure that she won't give up the chance of coming with us, but she will have changed.

Unfortunately, the Star Bar is not in an area that passengers just normally pass through.

If you don't go up to Cagney's, you miss it.

Even if you go to Cagney's you can miss it.

We only found it by doing the Martini Clinic on our first Dawn cruise.

I would sail the Dawn again, if I could. Even though I am now addicted (and DH is worried about that) I can't cruise again until after DD's wedding.

That places me on the Gem, I think. Have to look into that.

Yes, Natalie will change. But...for the better.

She will be more mature, more independent and will love you even more!

The fact that she has moved on...proves you did a GOOD job!

I haven't had the chance to view your new pics., but, if I remember correctly from your past pictures, she looks just like you!

Hang in there..you will adjust to this new lifestyle. As parents, life keeps changing and we keep adjusting.

Do you have instant messaging? That's how I keep in touch with my son at college. He hates the phone but will IM me if I'm on-line.

I wish you and your family had been on our cruise. Maybe next time:)

Archived