Brit's Balcony Dawn Blog 9/9/06

Have got some catching up to do, some of this was posted in our roll call so here we go

Monty is also posting from the ship but the more the merrier, I say..............

Pre-Cruise NYC

We had a brilliant flight over from Manchester UK with British Airways on Wednesday 6th and was amazed to see how many were at the airport with NCL. There must have been over 30 on our flight alone with more to come in on the London flights. We were spread out over four hotels in Midtown

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the United Nations and despite some reviews read on Tripadvisor, I can highly recommend this hotel. OK there is some refurbishment going on but our room was roomy and up to date. The bar/lobby has complimentary WiFi, so that was good.

Met Lin and her husband from the rollcall purely by chance, they were next to us at check-in.

Weather in NYC was perfect, low 80's very pleasant, good sightseeing weather. Used the subway fun pass $7 per day to get around. Was very impressed with Top of the Rock, much better than the ESB.

Went to see “The Drowsy Chaperone” on Broadway at the Marquis. All three of us really enjoyed it . DD now has the CD, the programme and bought the T-shirt!

Glad we're leaving New York, spending too much money.

Embarkation

Coach picked us up on time from 42nd Street on Saturday and surprise, surprise, we got delayed in traffic caused by a parade.

Arrived at pier 90 at around 1.30 and it was very busy. Carnival Legend and Victory were also leaving at the same time and the porters seemed to be struggling.

Then into the terminal. Last year, the non US passengers checked in at a counter just as you entered, but this time all check in was done on the other side of the security checks. The Cruiselink staff must attend wrangler training because they just constantly shouted and herded people like cattle. Monty has posted to say that they have improved the VIP/Latitudes check in. Unfortunately, we never got to see it as the Cruiselink staff justed herded you into the non US line despite the signs and impervious to any protest. Consequently, we waited for quite a long time. When we got to the desk, it took some time because the clerks had to queue to photocopy all passports as they keep the passports.

Finally when we got through, we had to join another queue to have embarkation souvenir photos taken. Not impressed at this point, why couldn't they have done it while we were queuing? Eventually boarded around 2.30 and had lunch in Garden Cafe. Returned to unpack.

After lifeboat drill, met Tracey Bissett to confirm our CC meeting on Monday.

Ate at Impressions that evening, caught the end of show and went to sign up for Internet.

Returned to Peary Kings to find DW and DD chatting to Jeff, a member of the rollcall. Had a really good chat till well after bar closing having drunk far too many beers.

Day 2 Martha's Vineyard

Arrived on time to lovely sunshine, but very windy out at sea, anchored about a mile out. Tendering eventually started but had to suspend while ship was repositioned as wind was impeding tendering (later noticed that while we were ashore, they turned ship around so that tendering was on leeward side.)

Waited until open tendering announced then went down to go ashore. Boy it was windy, the tenders were bashing the tendering platform and the tender was rising about two feet. The trip in was a little rocky but nothing compared to the trip back to ship.

Oak Bluffs is a pretty little town with quaint gingerbread cottages and nice little tourist type shops. As you get off the dock, the locals give out maps and guides, including a walking tour. True to form, we read it at the end of the day, but found that we had seen most things anyway.

It's easy to find your way around. If you are adventurous you can hire bikes and follow a cycle trail around and there are sightseeing buses at $20. Plenty of places for lunch, had a nice crab cake salad at the Sand Bar, good quick service.

Made way back along boardwalk to tenders and started a very interesting voyage back to the ship. It had got quite rough by now, and the wave period and pitch meant that the tenders were raisng out of the water and slammingdown into the water dramatically. As Jimmy the CD later commented, it was like being in a washing machine.

Later, I watched them loading the tenders back onboard and they off loaded loads of luggage. Apparently, 25 passengers had had their luggage put on the Carnival Victory in New York by mistake and it had to be sent over from Boston.

That evening, we went to Impressions again as there were lines at Venetian and Aqua.

Confession Time:

We had aimed to get to the juggler's show at 9.30pm. When we arrived it was the end of the show. It was then that we finally realised that we had put our watches forward a day early after misreading the Freestyle Daily............OOPS.

That explained why everything had been happening an hour late. We felt so stupid but it has kept us entertained since.

Day 3 At Sea.

Weather has worsened. Very windy on deck Weather report states Gale force 7/8 North Easterly with 12 foot waves. The Captain has increased speed to get out of the rough seas asap. Despite the conditions, there is only minimal movement on the ship..

Had the CC meet & greet this morning at 10.30, twelve of us attended; about 50% of the rollcall.

An excellent response from the ship's staff, Tracey, the Ship Group Coordinator, Claudio, Concierge, JP Seidl , F&B Director, The Bar Manager, Jimmy the CD, then later we were joined by Jacques the Hotel Manager and the Captain himself!. We all had a really good meeting and several of us are going to eat together tonight..

Will post more later

Tony ~

Good to hear from you!

Good for Natalie...typical teen - shop, shop, shop.

Hope the weather improves. Sounds like quite an adventure:eek:

OK...your "time" story has to be one of the funniest. Now, remember when you have to set the time BACK!

When we did the 11 day Canada/New England we had to change our clocks so many times. Some of the elderly passengers were so confused.

Can't believe you are already up to Tuesday!

Have a great time:)

Thanks for posting!

Good to hear that you are seeming to have a great time and thanks for sharing your experiences with the board.

Confession Time:

We had aimed to get to the juggler's show at 9.30pm. When we arrived it was the end of the show. It was then that we finally realised that we had put our watches forward a day early after misreading the Freestyle Daily............OOPS.

That explained why everything had been happening an hour late. We felt so stupid but it has kept us entertained since.

I would have thought if you put watches forward too early you would have been there before the show started ?? :D

Had the CC meet & greet this morning at 10.30, twelve of us attended; about 50% of the rollcall.

An excellent response from the ship's staff, Tracey, the Ship Group Coordinator, Claudio, Concierge, JP Seidl , F&B Director, The Bar Manager, Jimmy the CD, then later we were joined by Jacques the Hotel Manager and the Captain himself!. We all had a really good meeting and several of us are going to eat together tonight..

DH and I think he is a really nice guy. Have sailed with him a few times and got to know him quite well - tell him greetings from Denmark.

Looking forward to your further posts

Day 4 Halifax, Nova Scotia

We docked on time as we were awoken at 7.00am by the ringing of the Town Crier's bell ringing on the dockside. Shouting “Hear Ye, Hear Ye” etc, he welcomed us officially to the City of Halifax, bade us Good Morning and demanded that we repeated our shouted reply as it wasn't loud enough for such a big ship. Nice start to the day, if a little early. Tried to get back to sleep to no avail. We got up around nine and had breakfast in Garden Cafe and went on deck to check the weather as we had noticed everyone was wrapped up getting off the ship.

Although it was bright and sunny, it was noticably chilly, 65degrees, and breezy. Not really shorts and T shirt weather.

We had decide to do the Harbour Hopper, and asked at the Information desk in the terminal. The trip was the same price as the ship's tour, ship's tour collected you at the dockside in the Hopper but we had wanted the freedom to do it in our own time. The walk into town is along the boardwalk and is a pleasant and interesting 20minute stroll.

We booked at the office and waited for the 1245 tour. Took us all round town then into the bay for about 20 minutes, Good and entertaining commentary from a third year marine biology student.

Walked around town for about half an hour then tried a pub lunch and tried a couple of pints of Clancy's Red Amber. Nice.

Walked back to ship for 4.30 all aboard and the ship was piped away by a Highlander Piper on the dock side. Just glad that he hadn't been the guy waking us up in the morning!!!!

The seas became choppy as we left the harbour and continued to get more choppy as the evening went on. The ship was now pitcing and rolling noticably but not too bad. In the Stardust Theater, you could hear the water slamming into the bow. Looking out afterwards, the ship was racing along.

Day Five, Bar Harbour.

Am writing this in the evening and this was the best day so far.

Was awoken at 0620 by the Tender winches swinging the tenders out over the side. Sun was rising at the stern and the blue sky was cloudless. This was the dreaded Immigration inspection day which combined with tendering had made us fearful of missing our Oli's Trolley trip. In fact I had cancelled our 1000 reservation as it seemed impractical to collect tickets at 0930.

Everything went really smoothly. Non US nationals went through Immigration really quickly and all timings were brought forward. We had got ten tickets number 102 so had a quick breakfast and were on the dockside at about 9.20. Had a chat with Denise in the ticket office on the pier who I had exchanged lots of emails with,and off to get the 1000 trolley.

Short 5 min walk to the Trollies in town and off we went on the 1hr short tour

We had been really luck with the weather as there was clear viws for about 75 mile from the top of Cadillac Mountain. The ship looked beautiful in the harbour. Would highly recommend the Oli's Trolley really informative and interesting.

Had a lovely lunch sitting on the patio at Galyn's on Main Street, overlooking the harbour and then joined the line for the Whale Watching trip at 1300. Note, lots of good shopping places with most places offering cruise ship discount. Loads of places to eat and drink.

The whale watching on the Atlanticat was good despite a lack of whales, Spotted one minke and a few porpoises but that was it. The boat is very fast and the wind in your face when it gets going is really strong. Definitely need warm clothing. There is loads of room in the cabins and good catering facilities onboard. We did take a few pics with postcards of whale in them to compensate for the stars' lack of performance.

Back on board at 4.30 again. Had snack at 6.00 which ruined appetite. Ate again Fish n Chips at 10.30

The whole atmosphere on the Dawn is so different to last year in August, no kids, no feral teenagers late at night, but a more senior crowd going to bed earlier and slower moving around the ship. No problem getting seats in theatre, more tender ports, but more relaxed atmosphere. This also rubs off on staff, as if they are enjoying the rest after the summer run and enjoying the New England calm before the winter carribean season starts. Bars are quiet, but room service seems busy.

Seas calm tonight

Magic show tonight.

Boston tomorrow

Nice to hear about both Bar Harbor and Halifax - we've visited both on land vacations but would love to visit both again.

DS refers to Halifax as "the nice Halifax", comparing it to the other one in West Yorkshire (supposed to be there today but the weather - fog - decided otherwise).

Thank you for your posts. Its our turn one week from Saturday. Can't wait. Read every work to DH . To excited can't wait. Is getting in line a week ahead of time to early. ?

Hope you will also post pictures.

Thanks again. Keep writing.

Day Six Boston

As there are no tenders today, no early wake up from the noise of them being deployed to worry about.

Instaed, got woke up by the dock link tunnel from the cruise terminal being positioned under our balcony instead!!! As it was before 7.00am, I resisted the temptation to see what all the noise was and went back to sleep instead.

Eventually woke at around 9 and up to the Garden Cafe for breakfast at around 10. I have in the past expressed my disatisfaction with what the Americans call bacon, but we have found proper bacon or ham this time. In fact on the Freestyle Daily they have been posting “English Breakfast” timings in the dining options.

This is the first time that I have noticed this and the have one of the sections of the Cafe allocated for this.Don't know whether this is because there are so many Brits onboard or if it is a new policy. Also noticed that they also have ommelette and also toast stations.

Caught the shuttle ($15 return) into Boston. Weather was overcast 65 degrees with a definte possibility of rain. The shuttle drops you at Quincy Market, at the top of Clinton Street. Our intention was to ride the Boston Ducks. Decided not to as we would have had to make our way to Prudential Building or Science Museum to pick them up and the next available Duck was at 2.30.

As we had not got our bearings and that seemed a little late, we decided to bin that idea and take the hop on hop off trolley instaead. (Later spoke to a lady in the ship's elevator who said they had done the 2.30 Duck , it was terrible, and they had broken down, so that was a lucky escape for us)

The Hop-On/Off Trolley has 18 stops around town. Stop One is at Quincey Market and the trip costs $29. The driver/guides are entertaining and knowledgable and it was a fun way to see the city. Boston is an historic city with many fine buildings, old and new although us Brits can lose a little interest after a while as the history personalities and celebrities are not well known to us. I won't say it got boring, but you tend to switch off after a while.There appeared to be three separate firms operating similar trollies

Finished the tour at around half three ( the traffic was pretty bad in parts). This allowed us about an hour to look around the market area before catching the shuttle back to Black Falcon. It has started raining properly at around 2.45 and the traffic was getting congested. Made our way back to the bus stop at around 4.40. (Last shuttle was at 5.00pm for an all aboard at 5.30. Sail at six)

We just missed one and stood talking, in the rain to the shuttle agents who assured us there would be another along in a minute. It didn't get back until 5.15 and took over an hour to make the 15 minute trip. The town was gridlocked. We were't worried as the shuttle was NCL organised, there was contact with the trolley and we had the guide for the Walking Tour onboard.

We eventually got back to the ship at 615 along with another tour bus. Apparently there were 60 people late back.

We hurriedly boarded and the Captain made an announcement. We expected him to say that we could now go, but he was waiting for the pilot. A little later , we saw a car park in the parking lot and a man ran to the cruise terminal. The link bridge was then withdrawn and we were soon under way, about ¾ hr late. So it looks like the pilot had been stuck in the traffic, too.

Ate in Le Bistro that night. The food is superb but it is the extra effort that the staff put in that makes it special. In fact, I could say the same about the service meals in Impressions and Venetian. Everyone on this ship gives 110%.

Saw Bollywood show afterwards. Good show but I am not a big fan of the Jean Ryan Productions. All the performers are brilliant and give excellent performances. It is very impressive, but I just don't find it entertaining!

Friday Newport.

Arrived at Newport at around 8.30 am, it's 1200 midday now and raining. They announced open tendering at about 11.30 Must get off and have a look around.

Tony,

Sorry we missed the M & G. We were tied up with our friend's accident with the falling mirror. They couldn't get back into their cabin until 12:00pm. I've never seen so many people working on a cabin ever.

We met up with Charlikin in the Star Bar that night. Her and her mother thought it was 10:30pm. That's why they missed it. We also met up with Jeff minus his mom, there also.

I hope you enjoyed your trip.

We had a good time but the falling mirror put a damper on our friends cruise and slowed us down alot.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Tony,

Sorry we missed the M & G. We were tied up with our friend's accident with the falling mirror. They couldn't get back into their cabin until 12:00pm. I've never seen so many people working on a cabin ever.

We met up with Charlikin in the Star Bar that night. Her and her mother thought it was 10:30pm. That's why they missed it. We also met up with Jeff minus his mom, there also.

I hope you enjoyed your trip.

We had a good time but the falling mirror put a damper on our friends cruise and slowed us down alot.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Yeah,

We missed you and Charlikin. Was not worried about you and Diane as I knew you were such seasoned Dawnisters, and was following your online blog, so knew that you had had the mirror problem at the same time as the M&G. Also knew that you would have been able to find us via the Claudio/ Tracey route. Reckoned you were busy enough enjoying the OS.

Keeping up with the blog was not easy? It was difficult to surf as the internet time gets eaten up so quickly. Was also competing with DD for the laptop both on and offline. And also, got to fit in a cruise around it too. Will have to finish off the RI bit and then start thinking about a critique.

Thanks for the info re Charlikin, had really expected to see her after all her posts and was intrigued why she didn't show.

Ditto for cruiseonj, had been hoping for them to meet up with DD. ( Mind you I have a sneaky feeling I took a picture for them on Cadillac Mountain:cool:)

As Leslie has posted, we had a lovely time with the CC'ers, had a nice dinner on the Sunday with most of them and kept bumping into people to spend a moment with and compare experiences.

Pat and Don, lovely to meet you, we were waving to you in Halifax, but you didn't see us and we never saw you again:(. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

Saw loads of Luther & Leslie and Lin & Al (Lin & Al were on same flight, so said goodbye in the car park back in Manchester:)) If you went to the second juggler's show on Tues, Luther was one of the hoop throwers.

Jeff found us on the first night and we bumped into him on a few occasions, nice chat Jeff and I still blame you for my hangover on the Sunday, you were so easy to chat to in the Pearly Kings.

Overall, really enjoyed the cruise but we are wondering whether it's time to try someone else, more later.

Well, I have had my post flight sleep, it's time to get on with things in the real life.

Thanks to all for a great roll call and cruise. Watch this space for pics. I filled over two memory cards.

Tony,

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Were your friends cruising for the first time? Were they OK? I read that their injuries were minor, but that still means injured.:eek:

You don't expect to pay OS prices and end up at the Med Centre. It's a wonder they didn't transfer them to the GV. They must have both been occupied.

Hi Tony!

So sorry mom and I missed the M&G!! I was absolutely convinced it was at 10:30pm. (I looked at the original message and it didn't say am or pm - since it was taking place in a bar, I just assumed it was pm. Silly me!)

As Monty related, we went to the Star Bar at 10:30pm - it was practically empty, which was surprising to me. There was a British couple sitting by the window - I went up to them first and asked if they were you. Nope (but we had a lovely conversation anyway!).

Then we went to the bar where another couple were sitting. Monty and Diane seemed quite surprised when I asked if they were from CruiseCritic! Of course, I was very embarrassed to realize I'd gotten the time wrong by 12 hours! But then Jeff showed up and we had a nice chat - M&G Part II!

BTW, it seems we had another chance to meet but we didn't know it - Mom and I were also on the 1-hour Oli's Trolley tour! We were the last pair on the trolley - just made it in time! We couldn't get two seats together. Mom sat in the back of the trolley, and I sat in the front so I could take pictures.

Glad you had a great cruise - it was fun, wasn't it? Maybe we'll manage to run into each other (and realize it) next time!!!

charlikin

P.S. I don't know if you caught any of the Second City improv shows, but I thought a great opening line would have been, "So how about that tender back from Martha's Vineyard?" LOL!

Hi Tony!

So sorry mom and I missed the M&G!! I was absolutely convinced it was at 10:30pm. (I looked at the original message and it didn't say am or pm - since it was taking place in a bar, I just assumed it was pm. Silly me!)

As Monty related, we went to the Star Bar at 10:30pm - it was practically empty, which was surprising to me. There was a British couple sitting by the window - I went up to them first and asked if they were you. Nope (but we had a lovely conversation anyway!).

Then we went to the bar where another couple were sitting. Monty and Diane seemed quite surprised when I asked if they were from CruiseCritic! Of course, I was very embarrassed to realize I'd gotten the time wrong by 12 hours! But then Jeff showed up and we had a nice chat - M&G Part II!

BTW, it seems we had another chance to meet but we didn't know it - Mom and I were also on the 1-hour Oli's Trolley tour! We were the last pair on the trolley - just made it in time! We couldn't get two seats together. Mom sat in the back of the trolley, and I sat in the front so I could take pictures.

Glad you had a great cruise - it was fun, wasn't it? Maybe we'll manage to run into each other (and realize it) next time!!!

charlikin

P.S. I don't know if you caught any of the Second City improv shows, but I thought a great opening line would have been, "So how about that tender back from Martha's Vineyard?" LOL!

I remember you and your Mom well from the Oli's Trolley. you were actually the next but last on the trolley, another couple m/f got on after you. He sat next to me and she sat on the centre back seat. You and your Mom got on before them and you sat on the side seat near the door and your Mom sat on the back seat next to Wendy. If you had come to the back, you would have sat next to me!. I remember the pair of you at the top of Cadillac Mountain and it is quite possible that I spoke to you.

Sorry for not stating 1030 am, I thought that everyone would assume morning as it would be restrictive to book a bar in the evening. It never even entered my head that people would think of the night time. Having done it once I assumed that everyone would realise that it is done in the day on the sea day, NCL gave me the time as there are other groups having meetings.

LOL! Well, now that I'm a seasoned cruiser, I would, of course, realize that any small private event would *have* to be in the morning! (This was my first cruise!) In fact, I'm impressed you were able to schedule it for our single day at sea!!! It's fortunate that the location for the event turned out to be Monty & Diane's favorite hang-out anyway or I might not have met *any* CC'ers!

Yes, I remember the last couple on the trolley now. Mom had to slide over to make room. You know, if I'd sat next to you, I might actually have asked if you were Tony when I heard your accent. On the other hand, there were quite a number of Brits on board and I think I'd stopped asking all of them after the first couple of days... ;-)

charlikin

Were your friends cruising for the first time? Were they OK? I read that their injuries were minor, but that still means injured.:eek:

You don't expect to pay OS prices and end up at the Med Centre. It's a wonder they didn't transfer them to the GV. They must have both been occupied.

They have sailed before but not with NCL. They were in the connecting AC next to our OS. Yes, both GV's were taken. They put them in a balcony cabin while their cabin was cleaned.

They only had very minor scrapes. Didn't even require a bandaid. More shaken up than hurt. It did put a damper on our cruise though.

Glad you had a great time.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Great review Tony. Thanks for taking the time, during the cruise no less!

By the way, we went on a 2:30 Duck tour in Boston and had no problem. I thought the one filling just behind us looked like a tour from Dawn - they all got off a bus. We had taken a shared taxi ($5 each) to the Public Garden and then walked down to the Prue (Prudential Building) to get the Duck. We had to wait nearly an hour because all earlier tickets were sold out, but Luther sat in the first position on the bench for tour #56, which gave him the first choice of seats when we loaded. He chose the seat right at the back on top, and it gave him enough knee room. While he held our place, I got a lunch suggestion from a Duck staffer and went around the corner to a Star market. They had a lot of lunch options; for $6 they made me a huge roast beef and cheese sub with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, hot peppers, mild peppers, etc. I joined him on the bench and we enjoyed lunch while we waited.

Our tour guide was excellent. More low key than others we saw, and we appreciated that. It did start to rain about 2/3 of the way through the tour and up in back the rain was coming in. The guide passed back clear ponchos for us, and we did fine.

Coming back, we took the T to South Station and very easily found the Silver Line trolley that brought us within a block of the ship. The entire return trip cost only one token ($1.25). The trolley was a modern silver one with rubber tires. After the trolley came up from the tunnel under the river, the driver smoothly dropped the overhead electrical connection and started running on the diesel bus engine. We didn't even know there had been a traffic jam. I had read about the Silver Line somewhere here on the boards.

Several times in Boston, we asked for help finding the right T station, looking for a restroom, etc. and people were unfailingly helpful and pleasant.

Great review Tony. Thanks for taking the time, during the cruise no less!

By the way, we went on a 2:30 Duck tour in Boston and had no problem. I thought the one filling just behind us looked like a tour from Dawn - they all got off a bus. We had taken a shared taxi ($5 each) to the Public Garden and then walked down to the Prue (Prudential Building) to get the Duck. We had to wait nearly an hour because all earlier tickets were sold out, but Luther sat in the first position on the bench for tour #56, which gave him the first choice of seats when we loaded. He chose the seat right at the back on top, and it gave him enough knee room. While he held our place, I got a lunch suggestion from a Duck staffer and went around the corner to a Star market. They had a lot of lunch options; for $6 they made me a huge roast beef and cheese sub with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, hot peppers, mild peppers, etc. I joined him on the bench and we enjoyed lunch while we waited.

Our tour guide was excellent. More low key than others we saw, and we appreciated that. It did start to rain about 2/3 of the way through the tour and up in back the rain was coming in. The guide passed back clear ponchos for us, and we did fine.

Coming back, we took the T to South Station and very easily found the Silver Line trolley that brought us within a block of the ship. The entire return trip cost only one token ($1.25). The trolley was a modern silver one with rubber tires. After the trolley came up from the tunnel under the river, the driver smoothly dropped the overhead electrical connection and started running on the diesel bus engine. We didn't even know there had been a traffic jam. I had read about the Silver Line somewhere here on the boards.

Several times in Boston, we asked for help finding the right T station, looking for a restroom, etc. and people were unfailingly helpful and pleasant.

We saw the South station bus as we were sailing away. We would not have been brave enough to try that as we did not have our beraings in Boston.

Glad you enjoyed the Ducks. I was mildly disappointed to have missed them but as we had done the Harbour Hopper in Halifax and because we would have had to find our way across town, we didn't want to wait until 2.30. And that was with the excellent map you had given us.

As it happened the trolley tour was good for us. We stopped off to see your Swan Boats, but they weren't running. Notice from JPR's pics that they had been running the week before, presumably that was the last week as the kids were still off for Labor Day.

It was lovely to meet you and Luther, Sorry we didn't bump into you again. I had put your map in my jacket pocket to return it to you on Thurs evening and then of course Friday Evening was packing and last minute stuff.

Must finish off the review, although the people that had benn reading it are actually onboard enjoying their cruise now

Regards

Tony

We have now been home for a few days but am posting the following for the benefit of those about to cruise:

Final tips from our cruise.

At Newport arrived early, tendering went well, anchored not too far out.

It is worth being up to watch the sail in past the mansions on the coast, some of the buildings are amazing and you get the best view from the sea.

Tenders went to the far side of the harbour , next to the roadside by the yacht marina.

As you get off the dock, if you turn left, and follow the road straight down there is a Visitor centre at the Bus Station.

This is where we booked a trolley tour which took us around the mansions.

Again slightly cheaper but more flexible than the ship's tours.

We did the Scenic overview, which was enough for us.

http://www.vikingtoursnewport.com/sightseeing.htm

Was raining pretty heavy by the time we got off the tour, went for a beer and snack at O'Neill's Irish pub opposite the marina.

Had Curry & Chips (big fat home cooked), Potato Skins and Chicken Tenders and a pint or two of the local Newport Storm Ale. Very Nice.

Lots of shopping directly opposite the boardwalk.

The boat show was on when we were there so it was not possible to fully access the marina and boardwalk area.

Reboarded ship, it was getting dark when we sailed away at 6.00pm

Visited Sushi Bar at request of DD. Unfortunately having never done sushi before, it was not to our taste, so we made our apologies to the waitress and left. To their credit, we only got charged one $10 cover charge. :)

Tried to get in at Impressions, but that had closed (now 9.00pm)

Got in at Venetian, but that also had a closing down feel to it.

Finished off with a visit to the Casino where we came out even after about 3/4 hour play on roulette:)

Saturday Disembarkation

Awoke at around 7.00am as ship was pulling up to pier. Cloudy at first but skies started to clear as morning broke. Room Service breakfast arrived at about 7.30.

They were calling people for express debarkation by about 0800hrs and we (second lot of luggage labels) were called and were off before 9.00am. Spirit was just approaching the dock so got pics of her. Luggage pick up was ok considering the congestion etc. As we were on the ground floor, it was just a question of walking out, no trouble with elevators.

Went to board bus to airport hotel. As one bus was full they told us to board next one. Fine. We then sat there for an hour as we waited for it to fill up. No explaination from the handling agent who did not see that this was a problem when I asked him what was going on.

It was a big problem at the time, but have calmed down a bit now I am home.

At airport hotel, there was a huge queue as none of the day rooms were ready. No doubt NCL have already had a few calls about the whole experience. Still that was fairly quickly sorted out and seemed minor after the bus situation

Overall impression

We enjoyed our cruise very much and would definitely consider NCL again. We did, however feel that the food and service were not as good as last year's trip on the Dawn. There were occasions where we saw guests waiting to be served while wait staff stood around and because the bars were quiet due to the age mix of the passengers, then they started packing up early, which encouraged people to leave.

We did notice that the food was not as special as last year but was impressed with the extended range of "always available" menu items. We particularly liked Impressions, maybe it's because people may not be aware of its existence. The service, layout and decor really suited us well.

The Garden Cafe was superb every time we visited it; good quality and range of cafeteria style food, I do miss the Great Outdoors though.

As stated before, although we would cruise NCL again, we will probably try another next time either Princess or RCCL, if only to get a comparison. We have heard too many people saying "Wait till you have tried ............."

Tony,

We were sorry we missed saying goodbye too, but not because of the map! I never intended for you to give it back; we can always get more without charge from AAA, our auto club. I see that our schedules were totally different on Friday and Saturday. Friday we took taxis, visited only one mansion, and made it a short day. I did do a little shopping for gifts in the shop at Marble House- the first for me on the trip. On Saturday we were scheduled off in group four, but we took our time, eating breakfast at a window table in the Venetian (one of the last ones out), and relaxing. We ended up going off with the final group which was fine since our flight out of JFK was not until after 6:00, so we had hours to kill at the airport even so. Actually, that wasn't bad.

We really like the Freestyle and I'd like to try Hawaii. We'd be glad to have you stay with us any time you would like to come to Washington.

Leslie

I'm not scheduled for a New England cruise, but really enjoyed reading all your experiences and comments. I love the Dawn.

Got a chuckle out of reading about the mixup with the times (a.m./p.m. for M&G). We were invited to a New Year's Eve get together once. When we arrived at 10:30 p.m., we discovered that the event had taken place that morning. We just assumed that a NY's Eve party would be in the evening.

Thanks again for some good reading.

Tony,

We were sorry we missed saying goodbye too, but not because of the map! I never intended for you to give it back; we can always get more without charge from AAA, our auto club. I see that our schedules were totally different on Friday and Saturday. Friday we took taxis, visited only one mansion, and made it a short day. I did do a little shopping for gifts in the shop at Marble House- the first for me on the trip. On Saturday we were scheduled off in group four, but we took our time, eating breakfast at a window table in the Venetian (one of the last ones out), and relaxing. We ended up going off with the final group which was fine since our flight out of JFK was not until after 6:00, so we had hours to kill at the airport even so. Actually, that wasn't bad.

We really like the Freestyle and I'd like to try Hawaii. We'd be glad to have you stay with us any time you would like to come to Washington.

Leslie

We had Breakfast in Venetian on Friday. We too got the table by the stern window. It was really good, spoilt only by Natalie knocking a glass of ice water all over me:eek: Worth it for the laugh.

Natalie is at Bangor Uni now (that's Wales, not Maine). Was a funny feeling leaving her behind as we drove away. Had not re-set my sat nav and it kept telling me to make a U-turn, maybe it figured we had left something behind.

Thanks for the kind offer, if we are ever in Washington we must look you up. Funnily enough, I was co-author of a paper that was being presented at a conference in Washington DC while we were away (7-9 Sept) , so part of me has been there (almost)

Have started posting pictures, see the links in my signature. There are some from the M&G.

All the best,

Tony, Wendy & Natalie

Tony, thanks for the photos of your cruise. You have some great shots of the Dawn in there as well as some great shots of Bar Harbor. We were there for a wedding a couple of weekends ago and your photos were a nice remembrance. While the Dawn wasn't in port when we were there we did get to sail on the four masted schooner that is in a couple of your pictures. The wedding was held at the Bar Harbor Inn (Directly across from the Dawn) and we even ate one evening at the restaurant where the tender dropped you off. I've been following your trip, thanks again!

[ATTACH]29223[/ATTACH]

Bob

Archived