Aft Balcony on the Valor

Krittie67

Just got upgraded and we were able to pick our rooms - we picked the aft balcony- we have four rooms and want to open the dividers. I just read that this can't be done is this true? My pvp said it was possible. Plus would love any information regarding the aft. thank you

We were on the Liberty in the mediteranean and she is a sister ship of the Valor with the exact same deck and cabin cofiguration. We were in Cabin 7449 - an aft Balcony Cabin

I know that aft balcony cabins are often considered the greatest thing in the world. The room itself was nice- very quiet, good size etc. Yes you feel vibrations but you are on a motorized vessel the size of three football fields - what do you expect. The balcony itself is a nice size - a little bigger than the average one. And it was nice looking out over the back and seeing the wake and pulling out of port in the evenings. We actually backed into port in Naples so we had a nice view of the city on the way in and when docked.

But I will not cruise with an aft balcony again. Three reasons:

1) Most mornings when we woke up, there was considerable oily soot on the chairs, railing and floor of the balcony. Not a film, but often small globs of it. It got on your clothes just by walking on to the balcony and brushing against the railing and you could not sit down without putting a towel on the chair - which of course then made the towel pretty disgusting. I assume it came from the smoke stack that discharged overhead. Anything left outside was soiled.

2) For those of you who enjoy the ocean breeze on the deck of a ship or on a balcony, do not get an aft balcony. There was virtually no breeze at all even when at sea. In the Med, this makes for a very hot place to be in the daytime. Sailing into Venice was stiffling on our balcony.

3) Imagine looking up to see the stars at night at sea and seeing only the smoke from the smokestack. The discharge is directly overhead and obscures much of the view of stars in the sky

So here is one vote against aft balconys. It was not horrible, just not as good as what I had hoped.

We had cabin 7440 and my folks had 7434 on the Valor doing a back-to-back. We were able to open the partition and enjoy a very large balcony. Either cabin has a larger than normal balcony. We did not experience any of the previous poster's problems. We would get this particular cabin again . . . no problem!

Archived