Dining out while dieting

MsAbs

I wrote this awhile back after reading a post on a fitness forum asking what to order at a Mexican restaurant, I though I would post some helpful hints for dining out while you are dieting. Here are some tips on how to stay on your diet when you have to dine out.

For starters - appetizers: avoid calorie- and fat-laden appetizers such as quesadillas, bread and even that bowl of chips. A low-cal appetizer would be shrimp cocktail, salad or a plate of fruit. Soups based w/ clear broth is okay but stay away from cream-based such as clam chowder or cream of broccoli.

Order meals that are steamed, grilled, roasted or broiled; however, you have to request it cooked w/ no butter or oils. I recently watched a local news report on restaurants, and the cook explained the reason restaurant foods tasted better than what you cook at home is because they put butter on everything they cook. Next time you order steamed veggies thinking they are safe, check again bet they are covered in butter.

Ethic dining: At Mexican restaurants the chicken fajitas are the best thing to order, but they average 839 calories and 26% fat per serving. The tortillas are often soaked in oil to help soften them. Burritos, tacos and enchiladas are high in fat. The rice and beans are also soaked in oil or shortening and chicken broth that is high in sodium. Alternative would be non-refried beans. Use salsa or pico de gallo instead of sour cream or guacamole. At Chinese restaurants order steamed rice or vegetables w/ Szechwan shrimp. Stay way from kung pao chicken, sweet and sour anything. At a Cajun restaurant, order broiled meats with white rice or red beans or creole and jambalaya dishes. Stay away from blackened entrees, because they are usually dipped in butter or oil and pan-fried.

Just remember things with sauces, cheese or pastry dishes are higher in fat. You may want to order wine-based or marinara sauces instead if you don’t have grilled options.

My big secret to dining out when I'm dieting... don't pick up a menu!! Before you step foot in a restaurant decide what you are having for dinner. Picking up the menu just opens the door for temptation. Order you meal just like you would cook it at home. For example: grilled chicken salad with dressing on the side hold the croutons, cheese, and bacon... etc. The way I look at it is that I'm paying for it, so they should cook it the way I want it. I've never had a restaurant say no. I've had them get my order wrong.

Hope this helps! :)

Archived