CROWN REVIEW- From A Newbie

Gigi1220

I was not going to write a review, but after deep thought, I feel that it would be best to do so to cope with my symtoms of withdraw....

THE TIME HAS COME!!!! and ROOM

BF and I Arrived at the terminal, which was very easy to get to, around 11am to find a very small line to checkin, there were still few people waiting for taxis and such from the previous trip. At checkin you will receive a numbered card, when they call your number in the waiting area it is then your turn to board...I heard it went into the 50s, however we were number 10, thank god.

We had a balcony mini suite, got in and immediately ordered the "brooklyn balcony nash" 7$ each and you get a hotdog, mini cheesecake and beer....we had been salivating over this for months and could not wait!

Then we proceeded to "explore" on our own. We were on dolphin deck 616 Portside, kinda mid-rear of the ship. Only thing I will say about the room is if you rest on the headboard it vibrates alot, but didnt keep me from sleeping...PS the beds were amazing...I tried to take it but I just didnt have the room.

FOOD

Main floors are 15 which is the pools and buffet, then 5-6-7 I believe which was the atrium. The international cafe is there has some nice drunken munchies for you late-nighters. Cookies I found to be not as amazing as others have posted (Mommy makes them better). Flavors were choc chip, nut, and oatmeal rasin.

Buffet for breakfast had the same thing every morning typical breakfast from bagels, toast, fruit, scrambeled eggs which were runny, french toast ect...Lunch was changed up daily to included various sandwiches and many other things, Dinner was in Caribe and was themed nightly, Chinese, Russian, and so on, I didnt see any nice steaks there but they did have chicken and some carving stations. Sushi one night too!

The Dining Rooms are exceptional, Waitstaff excellent, we had anytime and never waited, a few nights we even got a table for two. Sabatinis, do not try starving yourself....My strategy was not to eat the whole day...didnt work ....I got full on the appitizers alone! They bring out little portions of everything on the menu and well worth the 20$

ENTERTAINMENT

Frank and I spent our whole life savings on Bingo and the corney Dicey Wooden Horse Racing. Damn those games! We never won but it was fun in a corney way. Lots of shows and comedians are great, Piano player in atrium with little chairs to sit (you can get food at international cafe or nearby bar). Sailaway party and band was awesome, Nightly parties on deck in a classy manner...Champagne toast we had a little early due to the hurricane and the rocky conditions (which i loved it was like a free thrill ride! wahoo). Despite only 50 children gracing us with their presence, I still saw a few diapered ones in the pool which I found to be unsanitary...they started posting warnings in the Patter but I never saw a deckhand say anything to them. But hey...no worries...its a cruise right?

Shopping

Shows were held daily including swarovski, Loose and mounted Gems, Gold by the inch (which was not gold at all), GUESS, and other small jewelry items...this was in the atrium. Botiques not that amazing...typical "hotel style shops with smokes, alcohol, things you may have forgot.

PORTS OF CALL

Grand Turk, a very small island with great spirit. Trust me when I say get an excursion on this one. Very undeveloped. Frank and I did snorkeling and there are amazing reefs. First time snorkeling and felt very safe with the staff despite swimming next to a large baracouda. There is also Margheritaville...which was sooo fun, we had time after snorkeling, tons of chairs, swim up bar, huge circular pool. Nice beach and tons of chairs for all.

San Juan- We did the Rainforest Drive, Can you believe it actually rains in the rainforest? I cant and it really pissed me off! hehe. The higher you go the heavier the rain got, it let up after a while, but despite that it was nice and worth it. Had time left over to check out the shops which were filled with cute little things....shops are on main road about 5 min walk from ship, tons of vendors around the streets selling little thingys. The customs line was long...they had everyone come down at a predeterminded time, if you had an excursion and you waited for a few min in the theater watching british CNN. After that just to get to land took about 15 min. 30 min total.

St Thomas- I didnt like our tour...We had the Ultimate Tour which went to scenic overlooks, magens bay, and dropped us off at blackbeards castle where we then walked to the stores. If you have problems walking this may not be the tour for you unless you would like to get a cab from the castle to the shopping which is only about 3 blocks away but the terrain is very hilly and I myself had some trouble, including trouble dodging the lizards :eek: all over the walkway and steps. Magens is not for snorkeling, there is NOTHING to look at and even had a hard time finding shells. Personally I would take a cab to coki beach, cabs are everywhere, have the cab drive take you to the top to take some pics, and then take a cab to shopping area...Get dropped off at the post office this is the most convienient place, shopping here is all level, so you wont have trouble walking.

Bermuda...all I can say is Damn Florence. Ship was very rocky due to the huge waves and almost gale winds, I was never scared to get hurt but some were getting sick and I did wake up several times during the night due to noises. Other than that it was a great ship, Calm, Staff are respectable and friendly, Captain is great with his daily announcements and though i was highly annoyed later in the cruise by director james lay and his 02938402384 assistants from England, he always kept you updated daily on activites. And I will die a happy girl if I never hear a British accent again.

Disembarkation

Buffet is avail, Just stay in your room as long as you can, I would just wait in the room next time till they call your color card... when you get in the terminal luggage is then arranged by color and very easy to find. There is a long line outside for those who want regular taxis and then another line for those who want TOWN CARS (hoidy toidy)...we just stayed to the left with those who already had arranged pickups and waited for our cab which had SUPER LOW RATES i believe it was called "on time" and based out of brooklyn.

I have over a hundred pics which I hope to post by the end of the week....and speaking about photos, there are tons of opps to get yours taken at very pricey rates! So bring a camera.

Glad you took the time to write your review. Very interesting to read.

I loved the Crown in so many ways. But, there were a few things that bother me as well.

As for the British accent. Sorry this got to you. I guess they can say the same for all the Eastern Coasters.... NY NJ, etc.

Do they still let you "buy" the wooden horse in an auction? Then have the owners race at the end off the cruise? That is so much fun.

yes they let you buy it and then take it back from you ...so i guess its not really buying it at all....at first we thought it was corney then we got into it...it was kinda cheezy fun...but hey...there wasnt much else to choose from in the form of entertainment on this ship...besides tanning and drinking...so I guess...cheezy funn is good.

Can you tell me a bit more about the snorkel excursion in Grand Turk? Do you remember what it was called? What was the snorkel area like ... coral and a variety of fish ... or just sting rays and a few fish? Thanks. :)

The snorkel excursion was called "Ultimate Snorkel" You leave from a small boat with about 30 other people ...the dock for the boat is right by the dock for the ship...these seem to be the only 2 docks in eyesight. You travel about 1/4 around the island and they drop you off in designated snorklel areas...there is no land around....2 of the men jump in the water and look out for you to make sure no DANGEROUS wild things will come about...the Reefs are absolutely amazing...we swam right next to baracouda...purple coral...bright blue fish...clear water and such...after about 30 min you go to another site about 1/4 mile away...you can still see land but it is still by nowhere and there are little rocky islands also by but to far to swim...this was our first time....we bought our own gear cheep 10$ each included snorkel and mask....however the ship also gives you gear....i dont drust the moutpiece though...we borrowed fins from them...there is no charge...they have free punch on board...well worth the money paid. The trip goes in 2 times...we chose the earlier one then headed to margherita ville. Bring an underwater camera!

Do they still let you "buy" the wooden horse in an auction? Then have the owners race at the end off the cruise? That is so much fun.

Yes..and my bf and I were the proud owners of horse #5 at $220 bucks! LOL We figured a 1 in 6 chance of winning $1120 bucks was worth it, but unfortunately we lost! I was the jockey and had a blast! We'd do it again!

when you get a chance can you post the pictures of magens? My wife and I are trying to decide to do the tour or go to a different beach.

Go to a different beach. Last time we went is was not great. Megans Bay

is basiclly the locals public beach much the same as in the States.

We are going to St.Johns and Trunk Bay which many said was incredible!

You get the ferry its about a 40 min trip. Snorkle +

Many travel brochures are shot at Trunk.

Were booked on the July 14 sailing.

Also stay away from a driver called Ceasar. I really think he thought he was.

Don't have an ounce of sand on your feet in his truck 'MON'...:-)

Cab rides definitely vary on the journey to and from Megan's Bay. A lovely driver picked us up from the ship in St. Thomas and he stopped along route and we took pictures- really nice man. The cab was clean and airconditioned. Cost I think was $ 15.00 to the beach.

But on the way back- oh, boy!!!! Cabs are lined up and you are expected to take the next available cab. Up drives this dirty looking station wagon. Inside the seats were ripped and stuffing was coming out everywhere. It was filthy. The couple that was to share it with us, took one look inside and didn't get in. I can't say that I blame them. I am sure the guy was on drugs and he drove like a maniac.

So the lesson from this is, if you are offered a ride in a dirty cab with no a/c, etc.- just say no and take the next one. I wish I had!

Yes..and my bf and I were the proud owners of horse #5 at $220 bucks! LOL We figured a 1 in 6 chance of winning $1120 bucks was worth it, but unfortunately we lost! I was the jockey and had a blast! We'd do it again!

OMG I totally know who you are! Frank and I played Bingo and Horse racing every day. lol...Your horse was the 9-11 one for your cousin am I correct? I think i even bet on # 5 and lost. Infact I think everything I bet on lost hehe. Oh well it was fun.

Go to a different beach. Last time we went is was not great. Megans Bay

is basiclly the locals public beach much the same as in the States.

We are going to St.Johns and Trunk Bay which many said was incredible!

You get the ferry its about a 40 min trip. Snorkle +

Many travel brochures are shot at Trunk.

Were booked on the July 14 sailing.

Also stay away from a driver called Ceasar. I really think he thought he was.

Don't have an ounce of sand on your feet in his truck 'MON'...:-)

Trunk Bay is beautiful...you can do just about everything. And you can buy Rum Punch...or you could in 2001:D

Archived