Same seats at assigned table each night?

AudioFilly

We've been cruising for a long time now, and we always find our way to the dining room soon after we board to have a look at our table assignment. I take a good look at the table and its position in the room and decide what side of the table I like the best.

We usually sit in the same seats every night; we ask the barman to have our martinis ready and waiting for us. It makes things easier for the staff.

Only when we are at a table that has some distinct feature such as a window or a view over the railing onto the floor below do we shuffle around so that everyone at the table gets a chance at the view.

We always arrive early and are near the doors when they open up.

Leslie

One my first three cruises I sat at tables with only the people I was traveling with (group of 4, group of 11, and group of 4) so we just sat in the same spots every night. One our HM, we requested a large table and were at a table with 3 other couples. One the first night, one of the women announced that she liked to change seats every night so she could get to know everyone. The rest of us played along and it was great!

This seemed to be a side tangent that came up in another thread. But I was a bit floored when I read it.

The topic came up that some people feel it is tradition (a rule?) that whatever seat you choose at your assigned table the first night is the seat you should remain in for the length of the cruise.

On our first cruise we bopped around the table to a new seat each night. But then our table was in a kind of a corner, so it really only seemed polite that whoever arrived first should sit in the corner. That way those arriving after you wouldn't be forced to climb over to get in behind the table. Now I'm wondering if instead of being courteous I was actually committing some social blunder.

So I guess I'm really just kind of curious to see what the consensus is here.

Lezlie: I hope we get the same table! Can you imagine the fun! Excellent question by the way. It helped me as well reading what others wrote.

Thanks everyone.

D :)

If it's agreed upon or the situation warrants it, I don't have a problem. Like for example my last cruise, one of the other couples stopped showing up so the last night of the cruise me & my daughter finally shifted around to better converse with the other couple.

However, the cruise I was on before that, one of the members insisted everyone had to change around so everyone could talk to everyone else. I didn't want to but it didn't effect me until the last night when I got there and she was sitting in my seat, forcing me to move. I was annoyed cause that put my bf next to her and she monopolized his conversation during dinner. But whatever.

Archived