San Diego Port - Parking Question

wizard-of-roz

We'lll be taking our first cruise out of Port San Diego. We'll be drving down from L.A. I've made reservations at the Holiday Inn (right across from the pier), for the night before. They will not allow you to park for more than your stay in the hotel ($18) per day.

Is there parking at the pier? How much per day? If no parking, any suggestions what to do???????

Thanks,

Roz

Roz, the public lot across the street from (east of) the cruise terminal charges $96 for the week's worth of parking (at least they did when we last took Oosterdam this FEB). You can drive in to the pier area (the security guards will let you once you tell them you're on the cruise), drop off your luggage with a porter, park your car in the lot and then walk back to the terminal. Have a great cruise and enjoy Oosterdam!

Nancy,

While I was waiting for CC to respond I checked into it further and this is what I found: According to the Hotel; Central Parking Systems has been pulled out of Port San Diego.....Now, one must park at the Airport (3 miles away) and be shuttled to the pier.......by Alladin Parking.....

$14.00 per day or $84.00 (by the week) - Inside parking or

$12.00 per day (not by the week) - Outside parking

The shuttle is on the 3rd floor, next to the handicapped parking. They have all the accessibility for wheelchairs (ramps, etc.). But, you still have to shlep your bags on and off the shuttle and take the 3 mile drive to the dock.

I'm not crazy about this.......I'm very independent and don't like too many inconveniences hoisted at me!!!!! This will also encourage us to NOT bring too many bags......

I guess the extra caffeine free diet coke will have to go inside my large rolling bag!

EEEEEK!!!!! :eek:

Hi Roz,

Living in San Diego and leaving on Sept. 18 for Rome to cruise Set. 18, I will tell you where we park. We park at Park and Ride. You park there for either $11 or $12 per day and they drop you off and pick you up. They have a website at parkandride.com If that site does not work just keyord or search park and ride san diego. You can even make a reservation in case other lots are full. We use them for the airport all of the time and I am assuming that they do the terminal too. You may want to ask them.

:) Mary

(Shmrok):)

There are several park & rides nearby to choose from. They all offer free shuttle service. These are the ones listed on the port's website. In my opinion, Aladdin is one of the best park & rides. The have covered parking and they do not charge for full days if you are an hour over your time. Hope this helps.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/parking.asp

Roz, On our last cruise out of SD, we did park at the Aladdin parking garage-I believe the one on Laurel-- and it was fantastic! We dropped off our baggage by the mini bus/van. I parked car and we were off within minutes! They give you a phone number for pick up. When we exited the ship, we made a call. By the time we had our luggage and walked outside, the van arrived to take us to our car. Great service!

When you arrive at the SD pier by car(as opposed to walking) you're dropped by a porter who takes your luggage and you walk into terminal unincumbered, to check in.

If you walk to the terminal, you must stand in line to have passport and tickets checked BEFORE you can go onto the pier and THEN find a porter.

We're planning on using the $8 per day lot listed on the Park and Ride website in previous message. It's close enough to the pier for us, and we're driving the old car so covered parking isn't an issue. Have called and made a reservation and were told that $8 lot fills up fast. Cheep. Cheep.

Bev

Sorry about the bad info. Obviously not up to date. Nancy

Nancy/Roz; help me out here please! Are we saying that the large lot across from the Cruise Ship Terminal at the corner of Broadway and Harbor Drive is no longer a parking lot? Is something being developed there or is it just the operator that got pulled? A lot of cruise ship pax use that lot since it's so convenient (you can easily walk across the street) and the cost is not sky high. Thanks for the info since we'll be on Oosterdam's New Year's cruise:)

We'lll be taking our first cruise out of Port San Diego. We'll be drving down from L.A. I've made reservations at the Holiday Inn (right across from the pier), for the night before. They will not allow you to park for more than your stay in the hotel ($18) per day.

Is there parking at the pier? How much per day? If no parking, any suggestions what to do???????

Thanks,

Roz

Not sure where you got this information. The website offers a "Snooze n Cruise Parking Package" for $359 which includes 10 days of parking. I called the hotel and they do offer parking at the $18 a day rate.

Nancy/Roz; help me out here please! Are we saying that the large lot across from the Cruise Ship Terminal at the corner of Broadway and Harbor Drive is no longer a parking lot? Is something being developed there or is it just the operator that got pulled? A lot of cruise ship pax use that lot since it's so convenient (you can easily walk across the street) and the cost is not sky high. Thanks for the info since we'll be on Oosterdam's New Year's cruise:)

The Park & Ride lot at 900 W. Broadway listed on the Port of San Diego website is most likely the lot you are talking about. If you put it on mapquest, it is listed on the corner of Pacific and Broadway and it probably takes up most of the block between Pacific and Harbor. I'm on the other side of downtown, so I don't drive past these streets very often.

Cruznon: I think we will use Alladin; park at the airport and take their shuttle (it's 3 miles) from the dock. I've been told that the driver helps with the bags onto the shuttle and again, when you arrive at the doc assists with the bags and gives them to a porter. How easy is that? $84.00 for the week (inside parking) and we're done!

I may even leave super early (5:00am), that morning and not even stay at the hotel. L.A. to San Diego 2-3 hours, (can be a little longer, if there's traffic) it's not a hard drive.....mmmm, let's see, could be done! ;) I'll have to think about it!!!!

DesertDogs: I'm going to call the hotel, where I have my reservations and see why they never told me about a "Cruise N Snooze Parking Package". This is such a great idea (if I keep the reservation)! The gal who took my reservation was not very helpful! And, of course, I didn't know what to ask either?

Doesn't it seem that if we're not willing to do a lot of the "plotting and planning" ourselves (with the help of the CC Boards), nothing really gets done??? :eek:

I use on-line TA's (who can be very absent, when you need them the most)! So, I find myself coming to YOU guys and always, always I get the information I need and MORE!

Thanks so much for your help!

Cruznon: I think we will use Alladin; park at the airport and take their shuttle (it's 3 miles) from the dock.

Just so you know, Aladdin Parking is not at the airport. It's on Kettner and Laural. If you're driving down from LA, you take the Sassafras exit off of 5 South (after Old Town Avenue and Washington Street exits), follow the street (turns into Kettner) to Laurel. Aladdin entrance is immediately on the right when turning onto Laurel. Hope this helps.

Aladdin is normally for airport parking, it's probably 2-3 miles from the airport, and about 2 miles from the port (they are very close to each other - parking is inbetween the two). It would also be close enough that you could drop off your bags and part of your party at the dock, then go park the car and shuttle back if you wanted.

I'd just make sure the shuttles are going to the dock, since most of the lots in that area serve the airport. "park and ride" is another company that runs some of the lots in that area in addition to Aladdin.

I'd also look into hotels a little further away, it's possible that hotels in Old Town or Mission Valley might charge a lot less for leaving your car for a week, but would still have shuttles to the dock.

Aladdin is a park & ride, but it isn't the company "Park & Ride." They have a big parking lot building at Kettner and Laurel, which is 5 minutes from the airport and probably 3 minutes from the cruise terminal (it's in between the airport and the cruise terminal). If you want safe, covered parking, this is the place I recommend. Their drivers will help you with all your bags and anything else you need. There are cheaper park & rides on the far side of the airport, but they are not covered parking and you will most likely have to deal with stops at the airport. Also, unless you really want to spend the night in San Diego, I would just drive down the AM of your cruise. They are listed on the Port of San Diego's website in the cruise terminal parking, so they do service the cruise ships as well as the airport.

If it were up to me, I would just park at Aladdin and then go to the port...there really is no shlepping of bags, except for maybe shlepping the bags out of the car upon arrival at Aladdin. I would drive my car around to where the shuttle bus picks up and drop off my bags... then park the car. The shuttle driver will shlep your bags on and off the shuttle, and at the port, the porters will take care of your bags...worst case scenario... an extra tip required for the shuttle driver (which I do anyway and not based on how many bags I have). You will be on vacation...no shlepping allowed!

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - we are leaving out of San Diego in Nov and were planning on parking across the street from the Cruise Terminal. Now we know we will have to find another place to park but it isn't a cruise day surprise. Aladdin sounds like the best place from my perspective.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - we are leaving out of San Diego in Nov and were planning on parking across the street from the Cruise Terminal. Now we know we will have to find another place to park but it isn't a cruise day surprise. Aladdin sounds like the best place from my perspective.

I think the lot across the street from the pier is still a viable long term parking lot...it's just not a covered lot. I think the address is 900 W Broadway, San Diego... if you mapquest it, you will see it is right across the street from the pier...and they probably don't have a shuttle to the pier...you'd have to drop off your baggage, park across the street, and walk back.

P.S. If you need any more info on San Diego, aka, America's Finest City, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

I think the lot across the street from the pier is still a viable long term parking lot...it's just not a covered lot. I think the address is 900 W Broadway, San Diego... if you mapquest it, you will see it is right across the street from the pier...and they probably don't have a shuttle to the pier...you'd have to drop off your baggage, park across the street, and walk back.

P.S. If you need any more info on San Diego, aka, America's Finest City, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks Bonstersd, that's what I've been waiting for - Drop off the bags, park and walk back across the street. Do the same thing in reverse upon arrival. Did it twice before and had absolutely no problems:)

Okay! So, now I can drop off husband/service dog/luggage and then drive to parking lot (5 Star) across the street from the terminal?....I don't care if I park in the open..I do that in L.A., it's fine! And then I walk across the parking lot to meet up with DH again.

Am I Right?????? I really would much prefer doing it this way.....

The reservation person at the hotel needs to get her facts straight!

All I wanted was a different cruise experience than leaving out of San Pedro. I thought leaving out of San Diego would be such a treat...:confused: :cool:

Bomstersd: You've been such a great help.....thanks!

Archived