Meeting the Captain

jancyjancy

I have seen many posts where individuals are talking about dinner with the Captain. How is one chosen for this special affair? I have been on 3 cruises and I believe I have only seen the captain on 1 - the Disney Wonder. :rolleyes: I am cruising with my sons on SOS during Thanksgiving and hope to have them meet the Captain if possible. Any thoughts?

Some people will tell you that they were chosen at random to dine with the captain. However, we were asked to dine at the captains table on our last cruise with Celebrity. I asked the social hostess what criteria they used for selecting people for dinner at the captains table and she said they normally select either people staying in suites or people with high level status in the Captain's Club which is the same as RCI's Crown & Anchor society.

I wasn't asked in July when staying in a JS, but was asked in August in an OS.....same boat, same Capt. (NOS)

BTW, saw Capt. multiple times throughout each cruise at different functions, including Ice Show....some Capt.s are just more available than others ( PS-- It helps to know what they look like cuz they don't always advertise;) )

They can and do randomly pick some people. I was on the Explorer of the Seas 9/3-9/8 and on our first night out we had the coast guard from Atlantic City land a Chopper on the helo pad to make an emergency medical transport. As I watched the event from deck 11 two people next to me said they were members of that Coast Guard Station and knew the crew and explained to those of us around what was going on. The were a young couple on vacation and staying in a suite. The young man was wearing his blue coast guard T-shirt and the next day they recieved a call from the hostess and an invite to eat dinner with the Captain. So... could it be because they were in a suite, two important guests, or perhaps pure luck. I am not sure but I hoped it was a combination of all three....

Mike

We was asked by the Maiter D' on our last cruise. We remembered him and he remembered us from a previous cruise. He asked if we always dressed up for formal night, we said yes. He then asked if we would like to join the captain for dinner. So, I guess it does pay to dress up, well at least for formal night!

Hi

We have dined with a captain twice. The first time was our very first cruise on Radiance Of The Seas in balcony cabin 8584 in February 2003 when we renewed our vows on our silver wedding anniversary.

The day went very slightly wrong and we think that it may have been a result of this. The other guests were a whole family with plenty RCL of cruises to their credit. The captain was Thorelv Thorelvsen.

We just finished Voyager Of The Seas Mediterranean cruise August 26th. We were in suite 1610. This time we are C & A diamond members and maybe this was the reason for our choice this time but I do not know for sure. So can't really see a pattern.

The captain was Charles Teige. We also were invited to be on the bridge when we set sail from Naples. Fabulous.

Radiance of the Seas Southern Caribbean January 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Med May 2003

Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean January 2004

Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas February 2004

Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean May 2004

Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean February 2005

MSC Opera Med May 2005

MSC Lirica Eastern Med inc Turkey September 2005

Brilliance of the Seas Caribbean and Panama February 2006

Voyager of the Seas Med August 2006

Upcoming :

Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean February 2007

We were on Serenade last November - the captain was also Charles Teige

There were 4 of us (dh, and our best friends)at a table for 4. We took the cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Well - we really became friends with the Maitre D as he was from Portugal as is my husbands gg-grandfather. He would come over every night and chat for quite some time. One night he asked us if we would care to dine with the captain on the second formal night (early seating) and we jumped at the chance.

We were only on our second cruise - so not very high up on the ladder :D

We were only in a balcony room - so guess it wasnt that.

Seems the maitre D has alot of say-so in this matter.

It was one of the highlights of my cruise ! They sat me right next to him to his right and he was charming and very good company.

Archived