When in Barcelona, Spanish or Catalan?

For those who have been to Barcelona: do most local folk prefer being addressed in Catalan or Spanish? In shops , restaurants etc. We don"t want to makeany faux pas and offend anyone. Thanks. Muzzy

Muzzy, for our day-and-a-half in Barcelona, we found shopkeepers, hotel personnel, restauranteurs, and tour guides all spoke English with no reservation, as if they expected all tourists would understand & appreciate it.

Of course we stayed strictly in tourist areas, where it is the common language. For the Bus Turistic they ask you your language when you get on, then give the tour in all languages of the current passengers on board. Las Ramblas is very English-oriented, with signage and such.

Upon returning from our 9-city cruise, I was amazed to realize that in most places, English was spoken automatically, even when we attempted to speak the native language.

Muzzy, although Catalan is the language now used, all the Barcelonians will speak Castillian (Spanish) also. They will be pleased if you say Bon Dia rather than Buenos Dias as a greeting though.

Have great time. We stay in a Catalan village called Tamariu every year and find the people very welcoming.

Cinnamon

Thanks guys. Cinnamon, I will tryto memorize a few basic phrases in Catalan. and it's good to know English is widely used as well. I would love to hear more about Tamariu. Muzzy

Muzzy, Tamariu is a village in the northern Costa Brava about one hours drive north of Barcelona. We have been going there for over 20 years.

It is a small horseshoe bay with crystal clear (and rather cold) water. There are no high rise hotels, just apartments and 2 small hotels around the bay which is lined with small restaurants and family run bars. It always feels a very safe environment for children. Ours used to have the freedom of the beach while we could while away the hours sitting outside the cafes.

This is the first year that we will be there on our own Although our sons are in their mid twenties now, they have always come with us before. Last year, Simon introduced his girlfriend of 2 years to the delights of Tamariu and she too loved it.

It is home from home for us but we do not own property there. We rent different places dependant on how many of us are travelling. We have had a villa with own pool for 8, a villa with a shared pool for 4 or 5, an apartment right in the village for 4 and this time a luxury apartment right on the waterfront for 2.

I can't wait! Cinnamon

We just returned from the med cruise and spent a few days in Barcelona before we got on the ship. We were able to use our Spanish and it worked out just fine. We also used our Spanish in Italy and were able to communicate as well when English did not work. It is very similar and they understood and so did we.

Don't worry for the language all people speaks spanish, although the catalonians like me, will be very grateful if you say: Bon dia (Good morning) or Adeu (Good bye)

Cinnamon

My father is born in Palafrugell I go each summer to Llafranc so we are almost neighbours.

My grand father was born in Liverpool (England) and he was the first tourist in Palafrugell, finaly he got married with the hotel's daughther and he stayed all your life there, he was completely in love of Tamariu.

Anna

MSC LIRICA August 1, 2004

Hello Anna. We will going to Tamariu in 11 days time. We will be staying right on the waterfront. I love to shop for fruit and vegetables in the market in Palafrugell. Then we will drive to Barcelona and cruise on the Splendour. A lovely holiday in prospect.

Cinnamon

Archived