Priority Boarding?

Treven

I'm in the process of "graduating" from needing a cane to get around to a rollator. Is there expedited or priority boarding on RCI ships for the handicapped? I have reservations on the Serenade next month, out of San Diego, and I'm not too sure of what to expect.

Pardon the questions, but what is a rollator and where is the Big Tomato?

Not sure about RCI, but Princess staff will fall over themselves to give you priority, and also have had the same experience with US Customs in two different locations.

Pardon the questions, but what is a rollator and where is the Big Tomato?

Not sure about RCI, but Princess staff will fall over themselves to give you priority, and also have had the same experience with US Customs in two different locations.

A rollator is a 4-wheeled walker, generally with a fold down seat.

If I a may ask what happened?

I did not know you used a cane or walker.

Did I ever mention that I use a cane a lot of the time due to my own disability?

Maybe we can make a cane club onboard the Serenade! ;)

I dislocated my shoulder, had three surgeries because of that; had two heart attacks followed by two stents; within a week at a nursing home, correction, a "skilled nursing facility" where I was sent to recooperate (I live alone and would have been unable to take care of myself), I came down with strep throat, then a month later I fell and have 4 compression fractures in my neck. This was all last year.

Three days before I was due to be discharged from the nursing home, I came down with MRSA - a staph infection. This shows that if you aren't sick when you go into a hospital, you sure will be by the time you get out.

Needless to say, my balance isn't the greatest any more, plus I'm unable to walk more than a couple blocks at any one time, nor stand for very long.

Tomorrow however, I'm taking part in the local Heart Walk for the American Heart Assoc.; me and my cane!!

had three surgeries because of that; had two heart attacks followed by two stents;

Three days before I was due to be discharged from the nursing home, I came down with MRSA - a staph infection.

Tomorrow however, I'm taking part in the local Heart Walk for the American Heart Assoc.; me and my cane!!

I too have had two heart attacks, have had five angioplasties and have three stents. I had the heart attacks when I was only 38 years old.

I use a cane a lot of the time due to Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

You have to watch it with those Staph infections, I have heard from my own Doctor and have read many articles about hot tubs and saunas on cruise ships that harbor staph infections...so stay out of them!!!!

You and I will have to sit (with our canes) at the bar and have a drink on the ship!!!! :eek:

We can use the canes to trip all the cuties passing by!!!!

:cool:

Good luck on the heart walk :D

Yes, RCI does have a separate line for the handi-capped. I was first in line last time I went. Make sure you do on line check-in as it goes faster with that. it is usually located on the far end of the counter. I'm not going to say which far end because it depends on the terminal.

if you are leaving from San Diego it is usually the first desk closest to the sidewalk side of the terminal which is used for handicapped passengers. it is usually lower than the rest so that those restricted to wheelchairs can do their paper work and get their pictures taken more easily and once you have passed through security with your carryon bag(s) there is usually a crew member to help or to provide a wheelchair should you require on for boarding (it is a long walk up two slight ramps, but there is also an elevator to take you up to the gangway level:)

I also have had a run-in with MRSA. :rolleyes: I have been fighting a "flesh eating strep" infection for a looong time, but then it turned into a "flesh eating strep" AND MRSA infection! My docs have warned me to stay out of the hot tubs in case of infection since I have lupus on top of everything else. I told him I'll be too busy relaxing with a good book, so it won't be a problem. :D

I am hoping that there is a similar service for the disabled on Carnival. Not only am I on fore-arm crutches, but I also have an autistic daughter and a hubby with major back issues.... so we are not really able to stand for long periods of time. Actually, my middle daugter (the autistic one) can stand... she just can't handle major crowds or lots of stimulation. Hopefully we can get on board quickly w/o a major meltdown!

Good luck with your cruise and your heart walk!!!

Cindy (counting down the days until we are in Heaven on the 'Quest)

~ please ignore spelling... I'm dyslexic ~

• 2 weeks later...

Well I get my rollator tomorrow. This will give me three weeks to get accustomed to it before my cruise. Was hoping to get a "candy apple red" or "jade green", but no such luck. As Henry Ford said, you can have your car in any color you want as long as it's black. Actually the rollator is midnight blue. Think I'm going to hang a sign on the front, "stud-ent driver"!!

Well I get my rollator tomorrow. This will give me three weeks to get accustomed to it before my cruise. Was hoping to get a "candy apple red" or "jade green", but no such luck. As Henry Ford said, you can have your car in any color you want as long as it's black. Actually the rollator is midnight blue. Think I'm going to hang a sign on the front, "stud-ent driver"!!

Can I hitch a ride? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've had my walker for a couple weeks now and I'm not quite a danger as I first was. Suprising to me is that I still find myself begin to lose my balance even with four wheels and one foot on the pavement at all times.

Only 6 days to go!!

Well I've had my walker for a couple weeks now and I'm not quite a danger as I first was. Suprising to me is that I still find myself begin to lose my balance even with four wheels and one foot on the pavement at all times.

Only 6 days to go!!

Personal question if you do not mind answering....did you happen to book a handicap room onboard?

There is such a stink about who does and who does not book a handicap room on the disabled board.

I was curious if a HC room is even worth the bother!!!

Personal question if you do not mind answering....did you happen to book a handicap room onboard?

There is such a stink about who does and who does not book a handicap room on the disabled board.

Shame on MSC Opera - there are only 5 HC and since will be using a cane or a walker most the time I left those cabins for others who needed it.

jeri

I booked the accessable cabin directly with Atlantis back in February. Members of the office staff are aware of my declining health over the past couple years, so getting a handicapped cabin wasn't difficult.

I booked the accessable cabin directly with Atlantis back in February. Members of the office staff are aware of my declining health over the past couple years, so getting a handicapped cabin wasn't difficult.

I was just curious because my partner and I discussed it several times as to whether or not to get a HC room.

Of course the supposedly bigger room would be nice but I dont really need the grip bars or higher toilet.

I wil try to get a peak at a HC room onboard to see if I should get one next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the cruise is but a fond memory, there was a priority check-in line in the terminal, but it was half way down the length of the building. Once I actually got to the area where the cruise staff were checking people in, it was rather easy; there was a staff person who came up to me and directed me to the appropriate line to get in. Adead of me was an older gentleman and his fat service dog. The big problem was fighting through all the other people trying to get out of the building then over to the ship.

Archived