Recent Century cruisers

lysolqn

Have sailed on Century five times (between her inaugural year and just prior to the rebuild) and now we're considering booking again in 2007. Would love to hear from folks who've sailed Century since all the kinks were ironed out after the rebuild. (They have been ironed out, haven't they?) How does the new Century compare to the old? What did you like, dislike? Does it feel like a new ship or just an older one with a facelift?

Thanks!

Have sailed on Century five times (between her inaugural year and just prior to the rebuild) and now we're considering booking again in 2007. Would love to hear from folks who've sailed Century since all the kinks were ironed out after the rebuild. (They have been ironed out, haven't they?) How does the new Century compare to the old? What did you like, dislike? Does it feel like a new ship or just an older one with a facelift?

Thanks!

Got home Friday from Century's repo cruise... started out in inside cabin 9000 but the noise from the Hemisphere lounge percolated down three floors through our ceiling until 1am every night.Requested change to another cabin and moved to aft 9226, also inside.Last time I sailed this ship prior to refurbishment I was in 1028 (Royal suite) so from the sublime to the ridiculous. Could not remember much about this ship from the first trip but thought the main refurb may have been in the attached new balcony cabins...although our cabin must have had new bedding, pillows, carpeting , but the bathroom mirror had a large ,old crack.....which they could not replace as "they do not carry a spare". I think the cabin's original design/ furniture were still all there..pretty good and plenty of drawer/ hanging space.

Other areas of the ship eg. the Martini bar seemed to me rather like a walkway area more than a bar .... passengers could choose to walk diagonally across the room through the seating from one side to the other which might be annoying/disappointing .The small acqua spa replaced the old thalassotherapy pool and the other space up front was now utilised by treatment rooms .The cruise director showed slides during the cruise of the changes that were made.

I did not remember the amount of pillars which were obviously necessary and structural all around the place .....especially the ones in the Rendezvous dance floor making dancing there very difficult as the floor was already very small.The 2 piece band in there was musically excellent.

During docking there was a huge amount of vibration aft...our mini bar ( or glass objects somewhere) was clinking for a long time and very loudly...never felt that before on any ship . The sunset verandah cabins aft seemed to look out over the sunset bar and one in particular had a balcony which if used would be totally exposed to anyone sitting in the bar on that side and seemed odd as for that money I would expect more privacy.

Overall I think they have tried to give the feeling of a larger ship but in my opinion it would be very difficult to make this ship seem like ML class . We would still book the larger ship in preference to this one I'm afraid!

Thanks for the info.

By the way, the aft vibration you mention is a problem C-class ships (Century, Mercury, Galaxy) have had from the get-go. Fortunately, for the most part it's limited to arrivals/departures. If you think you heard "clinking" in your cabin, try being in the dining room when the ship is docking or leaving port - it's a symphony of clinking.

Archived