Question re Canadians and Dynamic Currency Conversion

harrowgirl

I've always booked via a TA and just kept my head up. Sometimes using US visa (TD) but usually Ca$ visa (rbc for the points & Insurance).

Cruise we are booked on at this time finals out at the end of JAN and after looking at X's site is US and CA there was little difference in the exchange costs so went CA$

gambling that things will hold up at end of JAN.

Always charged in US$ onboard after checking off the square and my CC company does their exchange rate. It has usually been better...but not always but hardly enough to cause me to break sweat and I've always had satisfaction when dealing with RBC over charged glitches. (so much for a commercial)

PS. Always take BNS visa card incase other cards go south while travelling.

touch wood...good so far however.

i think the other thing that makes a difference is the kind of money you're spending when abroad (this goes for any currency as i think at this point we can all agree that x/rccl/any other cruise line won't give you a good exchange rate) if you're spending a whack load of money when abroad (let's say over 30k cdn) the exchange rate matters a great deal between 1.12 and say 1.15 (1,000 bucks) or the 1.19 (3k at 30k spent) someone posted above.

but if your'e spending under 5000 or 10k we're talking a differnce of much less.

the reason i like buying on a us card is i can control the exchange rate to a degree of about 15 days (from when i get my statement to the due date) so i can look and search out the best rate.

the problem we're having now is that we travel to europe a lot and can't seem to get our hands on a euro currency credit card. amex has one but i think i have to be an american to get it. :-( !!

Archived