Haleakala Skyline Tour - Zipline

CSloan

My husband is thinking about doing this excursion in May - I have a fear of heights and will be off shopping. However, I would love to see him doing it - does anyone know if they sell a video of the excursion you can purchase or if they take pictures?

We had a great time on the tour! It took approixmately 1.5 hours to get to the the site by bus. First of all, they have you sign waivers, secondly, put you in rain gear and harness (make a few jokes about the buffets here) and then take you on a brief hike from the cabin area which is shared by a horseback group and an ATV tour, each with their own little cabin. There were six lines, we did five. The rains had been heavy the night before and the early tour got really wet. I didnt want to put the rain gear on - hot flasher - but did it thinking of the worst. They strapped me up and I put the helmet on and trotted on out - we hiked a short bit and then did a short run - it was easy - even for me! Fairly athletic even after a few surgeries (but "fluffier"):) , I was able to easily perform on this tour. The hike at the end was difficult, but the truck that normally takes people back was out of service. Puffing and panting, I finally made it backup the hill under my own power - we had a great time!

The one long zip at the end is great - zip all the way along and then about halfway back and then back towards the ends, getting down via a ladder and they hook you to keep you down there....very cool!

Mister Lucky says: "Its not that scary!":eek:

I have pictures and great video of even the longest run, you control your movement direction via a ring that attaches you to a cable, you can turn yourself if you swing in the wrong direction, etc - very cool!

we took the pictures and video ourselves, there was no option to buy a video or for them to take a picture, neither of the guides even offered to take a shot, they were fairly young and were more interested in impressing each other, one older guide seemed fairly knowledgeable about flora and fauna, each of the zips named after a bird and decribed the area, some wildlife and plants, trees, etc - it wasnt an overly impressive display of information, the tour was more directed at the adventure aspect, being on so many tours in the past has made me somewhat jaded, but for the cost you would expect a bit more of a professional sort of experience, they were safe, and it was fun....

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have to ask is this Zipline ride scary??? I can see my girls wanting to go, and me not so much, but having to endure the thing with my eyes closed. Is it possible to just hike along with the Zipliners we will be going in Maui with NCL.

Okay, I have to ask is this Zipline ride scary??? I can see my girls wanting to go, and me not so much, but having to endure the thing with my eyes closed. Is it possible to just hike along with the Zipliners we will be going in Maui with NCL.
Aloha Cruisin'40 - I dont think there would be a way to just hike along. You see, right when you got to the first zip, that would be the end of the hike. You zip over gorges and things where you wouldnt be able to get down there and up the other side. There are two other tours that operate out of the same area. You should either sign up for one of them, maybe ATV?, or open your eyes and just do the zip! I recommend the latter! GO FOR IT!:D

I know it was mentioned that you pretty much have to take your own pictures but it will be just my BF and I ziplining together. Will we need 2 cameras then since if I take a picture of him while he "zips", the camera is on my side and he is not... same with video?

Or will there be time to swap in between? Does everyone in the group coss line 1 and then eveyrone does line 2 or is the group constantly moving?

Thanks for the feedback! We can't wait. We are also booked in October and we got the last timeslot left for the 2 days we will even be in Maui...

The group goes thru each zip one at a time. You hike a trail and hike for a short distance, you come to the first zip. One guide talks about it and one guide zips over to show how its done. Guide 2 stays behind and makes sure each person is hooke d up correctly and goes when they are supposed to, etc. Each zipper goes, and then guide #2 goes, and then you hike along to the next zip.

I would suggest one person (#1) in your party zip, you stay behind and take their picture. You could let someone go ahead of you, they could take your camera with them. They hand it off to your #1 person and the #1 person takes your picture when you zip towards them.

Sounds confusing, but we did it. Or take two cameras. I took video on the last looooong zip. Take turns and switch it up for the best shots. Digital cameras can be slow for these kinds of "action" shots. Take a bunch, you can always delete what you dont need.

I have an old canon 35 mm where if you depress the shutter and hold it down, you can take several shots....that would be ideal on this trip. My digital camera takes a few seconds to focus and you dont always get the shot you hoped for

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from our cruise and the zipline was a real highlight. My husband and I both think it's one of the best shore excursions we've ever done! What a blast! The hardest part is the walk along the trail, you have to watch your footing on roots and rocks.

We had one video camera with us, and we took turns filming each other. He would go first and then I'd let a few people ahead of me to give him time to set up the camera. Then on the next zipline, I'd go first and video him.

I highly recommend this tour!!!!
Marly

On Maui we booked it through the ship because it was about an hour-and-a-half bus ride from the pier. The company is Skyline Eco Adventures [url]www.skylinehawaii.com[/url] (808)878-8400. They were fabulous. They had a series of five ziplines each getting longer and higher.

In Kauai we had another excursion that only had one zipline but it also included kayaking, hiking, being pulled by a tractor, a picnic and rope swings into a pond. That was with a company called Outfitters. We booked it through Barefoot Hawaii. While we were there, the tour guide told us that Kauai has another, much larger, zipline. I don't know anything more about that one, but it might be worth trying to research.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='marly']We just got back from our cruise and the zipline was a real highlight. My husband and I both think it's one of the best shore excursions we've ever done! What a blast! The hardest part is the walk along the trail, you have to watch your footing on roots and rocks.

We had one video camera with us, and we took turns filming each other. He would go first and then I'd let a few people ahead of me to give him time to set up the camera. Then on the next zipline, I'd go first and video him.

I highly recommend this tour!!!!
Marly[/QUOTE]Marly - I am so glad that you went and had a good time! Now you know why I was raving about it! I want everyone to get the chance to go!:)

Thanks Jackie! It was one of the best shore excursions we've done. We had a blast!!!!

Worldsbest: We were able to wear a fanny pack on the zipline in Maui. We put our camera in it and were able to take pictures of each other. We also went in Kauai and they didn't allow us to wear one.
Marly

[quote name='marly']Thanks Jackie! It was one of the best shore excursions we've done. We had a blast!!!!

Worldsbest: We were able to wear a fanny pack on the zipline in Maui. We put our camera in it and were able to take pictures of each other. We also went in Kauai and they didn't allow us to wear one.
Marly[/QUOTE]You're quite welcome! I am so glad that you had a good time! I also hope you got some good shots/video!:D

try this [url="http://amazon.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=632802404203"]http://amazon.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=632802404203[/url]if it doesnt work, you will have to give me your email to add you to my list. If you dont want to post it just put xxx at .com - to avoid spammers - or let me know and I can try to post a few here

Archived