Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

Looks like HAL is not our new PAL.

We have cruised Celebrity many times and decided to try something different. The Noordam out of NYC looked attractive and on 9/10 I noted low fares on a major national travel site. Yes the fare was low, but not beyond reason. We booked a cruise just last winter on the same site that ran fares on a weekend that were 20+% lower than earlier advertised fares. So seeing it was an attractive offer vs. booking a cruise out of Fla. that required plane tickets, we booked two cabins (one for us, one for mother), made the deposits, saw the charge from HAL on the credit cards, and got booking numbers and e-mail confirmations.

In doing some research on this HAL board a week ago about the Noordam, I stumbled on this thread, and got concerned. I called the online travel site and they confirmed the price. But reading how long it was taking some people to get notified of problems and that HAL didn't seem to be quite on top of things to begin with by taking more than a couple days to notice they had a "pricing glitch", I couldn't stand the anxiety and called HAL.

They refused to talk to me since I did not book directly with them, which I understood, but I explained the situation, they listened, and then became even more adament that I would have to have the TA call them. So I called the online TA, who called HAL, and then told me that the pricing was wrong. To keep the reservation, I would have to pay the difference between the price I booked at and what the stateroooms were going for today. They offered a $100 onboard credit per stateroom for the "inconvenience". I asked to find out when HAL thought they were going to get around to informing me or my TA of THEIR problem. The TA said the HAL rep did not want to get on a three way conference call, and offered no answer, that all they were going to add was that if we wanted to keep the reservations, to take the higher price and the onboard credit, or cancel with your TA subject to the TA's cancellation policies (i.e., HAL was not about to cover the $50 change/cancel fee the TA normally levies. Fortunately, the TA immediatedly said they would not charge me for that.).

Having read on these boards how much people enjoy HAL has added to the dismay on how HAL has handled this situation, at least in my case. This is two weeks since we booked, how long did they plan on getting in touch that they were not going to honor the fare, while other alternatives for us get booked. Could they not have at least been somewhat apologetic instead of "business is business". Sure, had we booked for $60 per person or even $600 per person for a 10 day cruise, I would have known not to expect that fare or any customer relation compromise, but at $900 per person, that was not outside the realm of possibility. The cold reaction and the refusal to acknowledge the error, or provide explanation, or at least offer the onboard credit to another booking has left me with a bad taste. We even had plans to try the Maasdam in the spring, but right now, its hard to think of going on any xyz..dam ship. I hope they realize they are not taking the best tack with customers.

So its back to square one on where to spend those cruise dollars and probably back to Celebrity for now (which by the way, when you reserve through their captains club line, the service is great).

2/17/07 cruise I booked on 9/10/06 received email confirmation with booking number and statement showing paid in full on 9/11. Had to pay in full for terrific price. Credit card charged 9/11.

I had to inform my TA that was a problem on 9/18. Recieved email that HAL had computer problems on 9/21 and I had a balance due of $1100.00!!!!

Maybe class action is in order.

My TA is in NJ. He has a huge operation. Today...although I have nothing in writing...I spoke with owner. He states he is going to do the honorable thing and honor the initial quoted and booked rate. He says HAL won't budge but he continues to fight with them. At present he says he isn't sure if I will pay the higher rate and they will give me a check....or how the "deal" will be structured. But, he told me to call him or the VP of sales tomorrow and they will but something in writing. He assured me that I will not pay a penny more than the rate I booked at. It sounds good. But waiting to see. I will feel most comfortable once I have something in writing that acknowledges a pricing error has occured by the rate I booked at will be honored. I am sooo done with HAL. I have faxed/emailed/and left voicmails very calmly...to the executives and PR folks and nobody has had the courtesy to even call me. If this agent does right by me....he will have a client for life.

BillandJen -- Did you ever get anything in writing from your TA?

I too made my booking 9/11 and got confirmation from my TA with a booking number and HAL put the charges through. 9/19 I was informed by my TA that HAL was not honoring the fare, etc., etc. same as everyone has been told. I spent the last 4 days on the phone, writing letters and emailing about this. (Yesterday sent emails to numerous consumer watchdog/investigative report sites including 3 major TV networks and filed complaints with the WA Attorney Generals Office and Better Business Bureau. I have sent certified letters to the presidents of HAL and Carnival.) So, hopefully, someone will pick up on this and publicize it and put the pressure on that is needed to resolve it for everyone effected.

My TA was worthless - totally passing it off as a done deal - nothing they could do about it. (If they are not willing to go to bat for us and/or take some of the hit from this increase or responsibility, I asked why did we book through them? What use are they if they can't be counted on? Why would I use them in the future?)

Anyway, I am very fortunate, as I called HAL (for about the 5th time now) and spoke with a supervisor, who spoke with her supervisor who came back saying that he would "protect" my fare (which she said was an exception to what they had been doing, but the difference in money wasn't that much, so they were going to do it). (Not that much? It was a 50% increase on my original fare. Makes me wonder how much of that increase actually goes to HAL and how much to the TA?) They said they are dealing with this on a case by case basis.

So, my advice to everyone is don't give up. I had success with HAL reservations - a supervisor of a supervisor.

I was just lucky. This has nothing to do with all of the emails and letters I have written; as there hasn't been enough time for them to have done anything. (My certified letters to the presidents won't even arrive until next week!) I hope my emails, letters and filed complaints will help for everyone else though.

Good luck everyone.

My wife and I have booked and paid for the Noordam on the 6th Jan. I was emailed on Friday and informed we needed to pay an extra $1200. The problem we have are the non refundable flights from the UK. I would like to cancel as I am not preparred to pay the extra. I'm not sure whether HAL will refund my airfare. Initial conversations with my travel agent and HAL don't seem very positive.

Keep trying. Don't give up. Call and talk with different people next time. I must have called Holland America 5 times before I was successful.

Hopefully, some of the emails to consumer sites and letters to the presidents, etc. that I did Friday may kick in and have some effect next week. And, hopefully they will do right by everyone.

Hope to see you onboard the ship 1/6. Stay in touch and let me know if you are onboard. I'd love to get together onboard. (My email is jschilcher@gmail.com)

The best way to stop the ADDED NOW funds for something which was agreed, paid and confirmed (In some cases) ..

Talk with each other, contact your local, regional and/or National News desks. News papers and POLITICANS!! *YIKES* are those high paid elected people going to do something for ya..ya bet they are especially with News Media coverage.. Yes the Attorney generals offices, State and Federal, FTC http://www.ftc.gov as well have to be contacted by YOU!

Then the T/A's, CLL, and HAL will magically settle... they do not or ever want bad press especially now with the problems already on the TV and Ships leaving with not full berths aboard..

(Cruise Guests Paid Passengers) do also need rights! Are we the ones paying with our money?:mad: :mad:

We all =can understand..well that is sarcastic :rolleyes: .. when you pay your fares in full and get LOUSY SERVICE...

So called Discounted fares with LOUSY Service? Thats not a good recipe for repeat cruise guests is it?

HAL is one of the better mid-priced and higher quality/value lines (IMHO):cool: but when mixed with poor service and not much the cruise guest can do because booking was done with a T/A etc.. thats is not so well at all in the service end..

Seeing everyone that booked here and now has to pay Thousands of Dollars $US $CDN $BM $AUS etc is disheartining ..

I am beyond amazed that HAL would let this go this far! Once this gets out into the general public along with the Alaska problem they are going to have real PR problems on their hands. I guess the only way you can get it out into the public is to file a lawsuit or go to the media. This is not something the line can't absorb, especially when it is going to cost them so much in bad PR. Good luck to all of you, the whole situation just makes me wonder what in the world they are thinking.

hammybee,

I am booked on the 3-10-07 & 3-21-07. Which would make it a 21 day cruise!

The other cruise your referring to is the btb I had booked on the RCL Granduer. I got a really good deal on that one too. I cancelled that one after I booked the Noordam. I could probably rebook that one at a similar price that I had before...but DH and I aren't sure we want to do a btb on that ship. So I'm waiting to see what happens with the Noordam. If we can't work something out with HAL...then we will have to cancel. I have already been researching other cruises. Maybe a btb on the Crown Princess....I'm not quite sure yet. I'll have to talk it over with DH.

I'm still hoping to reach some kind of agreement or compromise with HAL:)

CaribbeanCrazy

hammybee,

I am booked on the 3-10-07 & 3-21-07. Which would make it a 21 day cruise!

The other cruise your referring to is the btb I had booked on the RCL Granduer. I got a really good deal on that one too. I cancelled that one after I booked the Noordam. I could probably rebook that one at a similar price that I had before...but DH and I aren't sure we want to do a btb on that ship. So I'm waiting to see what happens with the Noordam. If we can't work something out with HAL...then we will have to cancel. I have already been researching other cruises. Maybe a btb on the Crown Princess....I'm not quite sure yet. I'll have to talk it over with DH.

I'm still hoping to reach some kind of agreement or compromise with HAL:)

CaribbeanCrazy

I would keep hammering Hal and see if you can speak to supervisors jvermonttravel had luck with Hal after she kept calling and spoke to different people. Especially with you taking 2 cruises I can't see them wanting to lose you.

Consumer Reports would be Carnivals and HALs worst nightmare..

They are going to have there annual meeting in Westchester County, NY in Yonkers this year soon too. Yes thats just up the Hudson River North of New York City by about 12 miles...

Also people can send in letters to the Editor as well other things which has gotten phenominal results as per the paid circulation and internet (eyeballs)..\

The more YOU SHOW the more shall know.. thusly finally care... :D

We've heard from 2 people who, thanks to good TA's, have decided to take the cruise they booked with minor increases in the fare. In addition, 1 person got HAL to agree to the original fare and at least one person cancelled in outrage.

Anyone else have a resolution to the problem-either favorable or unfavorable?

Just curious...we're still waiting and hoping HAL will be reasonable. I'm wondering if most people are doing the same

I could be one of those affected, however, no one has contacted me of any price change yet. I actually have 3 rooms booked all of them vd balc (for Noordam Mar-31 sailing).

reading this thread it appears anyone who booked 9/11 has been affected. Well, I did them 9/9-late night, and 9/10- in the morning, the last one at night.

At this point I have to assume my booking is still fine. I certainly don't want them to find out, due to me asking.

However, I am concern that ~ 90 prior to sailing, when we have to pay our final payment we'll get our shocker.

I do hope HAL will get their act together, and clear this up for everyone.

You can always phone your TA and ask when your balance is due and ask the exact amount. They won't raise your price just because you asked. I phoned my TA at least 4 times last week and Hal twice to see if my price is the same and they haven't raised it (knock on wood).

Took action today...Contacted "Ask Asa", NBC news New York...let's see what happens.

I very smart move.....all of you should contact the local news!

I am disgusted in how HAL has treated all of you. Once you book the cruise and pay the deposit the price should be locked in, regardless if it is an error on HAL's part. If you buy something in a retail store and put it on Lay-a-way and the price goes up the store does not charge you more. Even if the price you had on the item was wrong - the store has to honor that incorrect price. This should work the same way.

I don't know what it is like on the actual ships, but their customer service leaves something to be desired. My mom recently cruised with them and althought she did not have this problem they screwed up her and her sibling's transportation. My uncle had booked the bus back from Montreal to Boston because he is afraid of flying, paid for the bus, and then found out that they never booked him on the bus. Their remedy for this....they put him (who is afraid of flying) on a plane. They booked my mother and aunt on flights back to Boston on the wrong day. When they called to change it HAL was originally going to charge them for changing the flight! Then they put them on a flight from Montreal to Toronto to Boston which got them in 12 hours later than they had booked originally. And HAL would not change it! Said there were not seats on the other flight they wanted. My aunt went to an Air Canada office at one of their ports and had them check - there were plenty of available seats. Armed with that info she went back to HAL and they were angry that she did not go to them first, and even angrier when she said she did but they refused to help and she refused to pay to change the flight they HAL had booked incorrectly.

What the heck is going on at HAL's customer service? Won't catch me booking with them!

Archived