JEWEL sept. 3-15 passengers questions

henri

As we are going the other way round, i.e. Istanbul to Barcelona on october 6, please can you tell us about how the approching of the city from the harbours is ?:confused:

Distances quay to city-center ?, walkable ?, are there 'port-shuttle-busses' (and where)?, does NCL provide port/city-information-flyers?,

Especially interested in Venice, Dubrovnik, Izmir.

Also...does NCL tune at where ship is, that is...Greek food/show in Greece or Croatian show/food in Dubrovnik, etcetera ?

And...does pools have salt water?

Were arrival- and departingtimes in accordance with the description ?

so...lot of Q. !

Thanks.

Forgotten......did Jewel cruise near Eolic (or also called Liparic) Islands and along the Stromboli vulcano (was she(or he) still smoking?) and also through street of Messina, or did Jewel sail just wide around Sicilia ??

Thanks.

Hi there! You say you are on the Jewel on 10-6? Do you mean 10-9, as that is the day the Jewel is in Istanbul. We dock overnight and sail from Istanbul on Tuesday. Below my signature is a link to a webpage I created for the Cruise Critic members who are on that sailing.

As we are going the other way round, i.e. Istanbul to Barcelona on october 6, please can you tell us about how the approching of the city from the harbours is ?:confused:

Distances quay to city-center ?, walkable ?, are there 'port-shuttle-busses' (and where)?, does NCL provide port/city-information-flyers?,

Also...does NCL tune at where ship is, that is...Greek food/show in Greece or Croatian show/food in Dubrovnik, etcetera ?

so...lot of Q. !

Thanks.

Hi Henri,

I'm still exhausted (just arrrived home from Istanbul a few hours ago), but will attempt to answer your questions:

- We had a suite (9500) which has a great balcony for watching arrival into the harbours. Of particular interest are: Venice (1 1/2 hours before scheduled arrival), Dubrovnik, and Istanbul.

- Arrival & Departure times were almost 100% as published.

- There are some synopses of ports in the Freestyle each day, but remember that NCL is a cruiseline....not a port travel-agent. If you want port-side information, best to research it ahead of time.

Enjoy your trip!

Stephen

so...lot of Q. !

Thanks.

Wonderful itinerary! You should have a great time!!!

Dubrovnik - NCL offered a roundtrip shuttle to Old Town Dubrovnik for $12 per person. The times were open, so you can just hop on any of the NCL busses at your leisure.

Venice - NCL used a berth which was only 15 mins walking distance to St. Marks Square. Lots of nice cafes & shops on the way.

Izmir - I suggest you take a tour here as there really isn't much to see within walking distance. We took the Ephesus & Virgin Mary tour thru NCL, which was excellent.

Naples - I also suggest you take a tour here. The Naples area is notorious for pick pocketing and NCL even warns you. We took the Pompeii & Almalfi Coast tour thru NCL & this was also excellent.

NCL provided a Turkish "Anabolic" dance show the last night of our cruise. This was the only local entertainment provided.

I hope this helps.

Wonderful itinerary! You should have a great time!!!

Dubrovnik - NCL offered a roundtrip shuttle to Old Town Dubrovnik for $12 per person. The times were open, so you can just hop on any of the NCL busses at your leisure.

Venice - NCL used a berth which was only 15 mins walking distance to St. Marks Square. Lots of nice cafes & shops on the way.

Izmir - I suggest you take a tour here as there really isn't much to see within walking distance. We took the Ephesus & Virgin Mary tour thru NCL, which was excellent.

Naples - I also suggest you take a tour here. The Naples area is notorious for pick pocketing and NCL even warns you. We took the Pompeii & Almalfi Coast tour thru NCL & this was also excellent.

NCL provided a Turkish "Anabolic" dance show the last night of our cruise. This was the only local entertainment provided.

I hope this helps.

I should add to this.... a taxi to the old town in Dubrovnik is $10 Euro...flat rate.

If there are 4 of you, it's a LOT cheaper ($20 Euro return / $5 euro each) than to pay NCL for the bus ($12 each), and you can come / go when you want.

Thank for this info...

Unfortunately not tendering in old Dubrovnik harbour, as this seems very wonderfull when approaching Dubrovnik by tender, right in old town.

(sjbdtz, thanks for taxi-tip.)

But... as experienced...the larger the ships become, the farther away from the city's, as the ships more and more go to industrial part of ports.

This "anabolic" dance will be Anatolic, as Anatolia was former name of (Asiatic part of) Turkey, also know as Asia Minor.

For Naples, we either take funicular (opposite Galleria Umberto 1) uphill to the castle and stay there enjoyning the view or go to Capri to wander around.

Thanks, Henri.

Archived