Zuiderdam SC 4185

Babr

I've been looking for information about this cabin, but I haven't found much. People talk about the corner aft suites on Decks 5 and above. Has anyone stayed in 4185? It was the only SC when we booked, and I didn't want to risk a guarantee because I didn't want the HC cabin.

In some of the pictures I've found, there seems to be some kind of apparatus attached to the side of the ship - a window washer maybe? Is this on Deck 4? Does it impede the view from the balcony?

We've never sailed HAL before so we don't know how things work. Is it possible to be upgraded out of this room? Would someone check with us first? I'm thinking I don't want an upgrade unless it is another corner aft - probably a small chance of that! What do you think? Mark it no upgrade and stay put? Is there something I need to know about Deck 4 - noise? vibration? distance from Neptune or anything else?

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.

We have stayed in 5187 on the Westerdam which is right above (I think) and loved it. The folks who stayed below us said they loved their cabin, too. The deck is VERY large. You will enjoy it. Also, there is deck on the side. My husband says he feels like a king on an aft deck.

Roberta

In October 2005 when we stayed in 5187 we had friends traveling with us that were in 4185. We were in the cabin several time. The lay out is identical to 5187 except that the width of the cabin is probably about a food narrower than 5187. The balcony appears to be about as big. It is definitely bigger than the 6th floor corner aft cabins.

Here is a picture of the Zuiderdam from the outside looking at the balconies.

141954303_zuiderdambalconys2.jpg.654eba38cc4edae9a52f8e1f0abedaa0.jpg

Actually in relooking at the picture it does appear that the balcony could be a bit smaller and the 6th floor has a balcony as big as 5th floor. But I can definitely tell you I have also been in the 6th floor corner aft and the cabin is smaller and I did not care for the lay out as well.

If you book a cabin by number and tell your TA that you are not interested in an upgrade then that should be it. Whenever we booked a cabin on HAL we kept that cabin

We booked an SZ guarantee this time and were upgraded to SC5186 which is the same as the one you're looking at only one deck above and port side. Even numbers port, odd numbers starboard.

The layout is a little different and slightly smaller than the SAs we've had before, but the veranda is a wrap-around and mostly uncovered. All the amenities are the same but the aft suites only sleep 3 people not 4. It still has the separate dressing room, extra shower stall and full size whirlpool and Neptune lounge privileges. We're flying out in the morning so I'll know more on Sunday, I'm basically quoting the answers I got from Laffnvegas.

GN

Grannynurse - Wow, that was a good upgrade since there are so few corner balconies. I guess if we had taken a guarantee we could have moved to an SB or SA, but I didn't know if I'd like them any better. Or we could have stayed in the SC category - possibly in one of the handicapped cabins. I knew I'd rather have a corner over that, so we took what was available.

In doing my research I've come across a lot of people who say they got upgrades to the S categories. That's why I wondered if we'd get "upgraded" without our knowledge. If one is offered, is it worth considering? Isn't it mainly a matter of location? Without the huge veranda, of course. Thoughts, anyone?

LAFFNVEGAS - Thanks for the picture. It must have been yours that I saw earlier. See that thing on the side? That was what I was wondering about. Do you know if they park it there regularly? Does it block the view?

The verandas on Deck 8 look even smaller, and I think those are SB's - but they are covered and that could be a good thing.

LAFFNVEGAS - Thanks for the picture. It must have been yours that I saw earlier. See that thing on the side? That was what I was wondering about. Do you know if they park it there regularly? Does it block the view?

The verandas on Deck 8 look even smaller, and I think those are SB's - but they are covered and that could be a good thing.

That thing, (I think it washes windows) usually is parked there and I also think that is what sometimes makes stranges noises at night:confused: But as far as blocking a view, No it really does not. Also while the ship is moving it is almost impossible to be on the side verandah because of the wind. But it is very calm to the aft. We enjoy sitting out there at night being able to look up at the stars.:)

Archived