Hop-in or Athens Walking Tours???

Rick Stves recommends these two guiding services in Athens. We would like to have a small group when we travel in the city but private guides were fairly high and we really don't need a taxi driver to take us around in the city, I understand the subway/underground is great. We would like a licensed guide for Agora and the Acropolis. Anyone out there use these services and have any comments about them. Anyone use the guides you get when you go into the Acroplois?? Any information would be so helpful. Thans

We were there two years ago this month. When we got off the ship we had a pretty good walk to the subway station, so we asked someone and they told us which bus to take. By this time we had Euro's so that was not a problem. After getting off the bus, it was a few blocks up to the Acropolis / Parthenon, but you can follow all the people and everyone was nice and tells you where to go.

Once there, we bought our tickets. Around the ticket booth there are guides you can hire. Our guide was 40 Euro's and we added on 4 people who also wanted a guide. I think we each paid 8.00 USD. I think it was about 2 hours. She was great. We were so happy that we were in a small group. There are plenty of guides to go around. Most people come up with a tour group, so you should not have any trouble getting your own guide.

You can see the Temple of Zeus from there!

We spent our day there and then had lunch and went shopping. We did not do anything else and had a wonderful day. We did take the subway back to the port area.

We are going on another cruise April 2007 out of Athens so we will go to Agora and some other places we missed. We will probably do everything on our own unless I find a reasonable tour.

Have fun

Archived