QE2 Bridge Cam

Glaciers

I'm sure it's spectacular from the bridge.

Why, oh why, did they have to get rid of the lounge with a forward view? Unless you're either on the Bridge or in either the Queen Elizabeth or Mary suites you can't get to see that in real life:(

On the January 2006 crossing they turned the bridge cam off as it was getting a bit rough and some of the passengers were getting concerned. Of course, unnecessarily. I saw this a couple days ago. I'm sure it's spectacular from the bridge.

I have always wanted to see that happen while aboard QE. Thanks for the vicarious experience!

I would NOT want to see that while on board. However, its silly to turn off the cam just because of that. Its a simple case of "if you don't want to see it, don't look?". Waves happen and its the ocean. Its bound to happen now and then.

But it is a shame the ship has no forward lounge like most of the cruise ships of today have. I loved the Crow's Nest that HAL has and am looking forward to the Observation Deck and the Commodore Club on the QM2. I guess the near-perfect ocean liner has a blemish! Oh well, still looking forward to being on the QE2 next year. (Hopefully in calmer seas though! ha ha ha)

Hi,

RJMS is on the crossing right now, and in an email from him he did comment about the rough seas in the Queen Grills and how his glass of wine was knocked over!!

Hopefully he will give a review on his return ?

Im hoping for alively crossing of the bay next month!! Fingers crossed

cheers

Myles

Why, oh why, did they have to get rid of the lounge with a forward view? Unless you're either on the Bridge or in either the Queen Elizabeth or Mary suites you can't get to see that in real life:(

You can't actually see that part of the ship from the Queen Elizabeth Suite as far as I recall.

The bridge gets in the way!

Mind you, we were sitting minding our business once and a wave like that filled the forward balcony to a depth of about three inches!

Not what we were expecting - although we got spray regularly!

Nice one Skippy.

I have a few video clips on line from the Dec04 crossing. They are at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jonclair/qe2dec04/video.htm (my avitar is taken from one of these clips you will see).

The Dec 03 crossing was a real rough one but I wasn't there, sadly. I do not know if anyone has video clips of it.

You cannot see the bow from the QG suites, possibly the very point if you go to the highest part of the enclosed balcony and stretch yourself as tall as possible! You would get very wet there I expect on a choppy day!

Now that's what I like to see!

I was checking out the QE2 webcam the other day & saw that the ship was making a bit of a splash as she ploughed through the Atlantic, but the screen captures posted here are even more dramatic.

Last January's crossing was too calm for most of the members of the Winter Crossing Club.;) (Actually, conditions were rather rougher when I crossed in April/May on the Constellation. Those booked on the QE2 for next April's crossing might be in for a pleasant surprise, weather-wise.:))

I'll be seeing the QE2 in New York tomorrow--back at her proper berth on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

I'll be seeing the QE2 in New York tomorrow--back at her proper berth on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Are Cunard reservation agents in California dead from the neck up? I was told by three different agents during three different calls that QE2 would dock in Brooklyn. The World Ship Society Port of New York listing has an update posted that QE2 will dock in Manhattan. Who to believe? I with the Manhattan docking, especially for the world cruise on which I am booked.

Keep us posted... I'll just have to have a look for myself anyway!

Originally posted by sfo-john

Is the QE2 really docking on the west side of Manhattan tomorrow and not in Brooklyn? If that's the case I hope that she does the same this coming April..
Indeed she is! And it is a wonderful sight to see her right back where she belongs (for today anyway). We can only hope that she will be docking there following her 2007 transatlantics.

Originally Posted by Post Captain

Post Captain, can you possibly see her in New York and NOT book one of the 2007 crossings?

(Captaintandem and I are planning to visit Bar Harbor on Friday for the express purpose of admiring her as she rests at anchor.)

Hello,

I have the QE2's webcam as my internet homepage and nab interesting photos. I followed her docking in New York this morning. You can see these and other bridgecam photos from 2006 here.

I just wish that QM2's bridgecam was so clear - it seems to have poor colour balance and always appears blue :(

- Rob Lightbody

Hello,

I have the QE2's webcam as my internet homepage and nab interesting photos. I followed her docking in New York this morning. You can see these and other bridgecam photos from 2006 here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/sets/72157594290844467/

I just wish that QM2's bridgecam was so clear - it seems to have poor colour balance and always appears blue :(

- Rob Lightbody

Thanks, Rob, for sharing your interesting pix. I'm a novice at posting pix; been using photobucket for just a month. Are you familiar with any such services besides flickr? Would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks,

Paul

Originally Posted by Post Captain

Post Captain, can you possibly see her in New York and NOT book one of the 2007 crossings?

(Captaintandem and I are planning to visit Bar Harbor on Friday for the express purpose of admiring her as she rests at anchor.)

Hello Tom & Rebecca,

I've been lurking enviously on the January & April 2007 QE2 transatlantic thread from time to time... Had been hoping Maureen & I would be able to get aboard for one of the crossings, but alas, it didn't work out.

However, we are booked on a westbound transatlantic on another ship (sacrilige for loyal Cunarders, I know--but we were impressed & did enjoy her this past April/May) next September. And in the meantime, we'll keep our eyes on the possibility of a QE2 crossing in 2008.

I'm off to see QE2 (from the New Jersey side of the Hudson) right now.

Hope all's well in Maine.

Cheers,

John

I've been lurking enviously on the January & April 2007 QE2 transatlantic thread from time to time... Had been hoping Maureen & I would be able to get aboard for one of the crossings, but alas, it didn't work out.

John:

Sorry to hear that you won't be making it for either the January or the April crossings...I never really had the chance to get to chat with you properly, last night at sea and all, last January. Maybe you'll make it in 2008, eh ???

I hope you had a good view of QE2 from New Jersey, I had to settle for webcams !!!

Tom

Rob,

Thanks for posting those. I've got to admit, I loved Brooklyn Terminal- Even though I had to stand in line (I was running late) and the parking wasn't AS CLOSE as I would have liked (But still closer than Manhattan parking was, where we ended up, two piers over)

But seeing her going up to the Manhattan terminal. Well, it felt like home, since my first New York experience (on the January Panama trip on the QM2) was from there.

What the heck- don't care if it sails out of Some New Jersey landfill! It's a cruise, and that makes it all worth while!

Thanks again,

Karie

Sorry to hear that you won't be making it for either the January or the April crossings...I never really had the chance to get to chat with you properly, last night at sea and all, last January. Maybe you'll make it in 2008, eh ???

I hope you had a good view of QE2 from New Jersey, I had to settle for webcams !!!

Tom

Hello Tom,

Yes, a 2008 crossing is definitely on my radar. And we must have a proper chat about the old ships...

I took the light rail up to so-called Port Imperial (the ferry landing) at Weehawken late yesterday afternoon, & walked along the NJ side of the Hudson River waterfront & got good views of QE2 from several angles. (There's a new pedestrian promenade that currently runs for a mile or so along that section of the riverfront.) I took some photos; unfortunately, the weather was quite dreary--overcast & dark & extremely hazy--so I don't know how they'll turn out.

She was due to sail at 5 pm, so I waited--from where I was standing, she would have been directly in front of me, & quite close, as she pulled into the river & made her turn downstream. But 5 o'clock came & went, & she showed no signs of moving. Two Moran tugs moved into position alongside her at just about 6 pm, but there was still no movement. I waited there until 6:30-ish, but still no movement. (No smoke visible from her tunnel.) At that point, I hopped on a train & went down to the south end of Hoboken to meet my wife.

We waited by the river there for nearly another hour or so, with a hazy view of the QE2 at her pier several miles upriver. She didn't pull into the river until 7:30-ish, but that was a few minutes too late for us... Alas, we had to run to catch a 7:51 train; the ship hadn't reached our part of the river by the time we left, though we could see her approaching. Very frustrating!

But still, very good to see a proper ship berthed in Manhattan again. They're few & far between these days.

Cheers,

John

Hello,

- Rob Lightbody

What a great idea! I don't think I've ever seen such vivid colors on the web cam.

Archived