cheap flights?

ImBossy

I'm from Texas and have sailed out of Galveston 2xs. I want to try a different port if i choose another cruise but the flight often costs more than the cruise. What can i do to get over this problem? Should I move to Florida? :) When, if ever, will Carnival change the ports of call for the ships sailing fom Galveston?

Short of moving to the Sunshine State there is not a lot you can do about air fares. If you wish to cruise from Tampa, Contiental offers non stop flights from Houston fairly reasonable. I just flew from Tampa to Houston (RT) in may for a couple of hundred. You should check Southwest, too. Although nothing is direct. You will most likely have a stop in NO.

I'm from Texas and have sailed out of Galveston 2xs. I want to try a different port if i choose another cruise but the flight often costs more than the cruise. What can i do to get over this problem? Should I move to Florida? :) When, if ever, will Carnival change the ports of call for the ships sailing fom Galveston?

Keep checking airfares.. you are lucky to have a port within driving distance... if you must cruise like us from Canada suck it up and pay the air:D:p

Yup just like irishnewfie said "Suck It up":D for me it is $875 pp to Florida or $650 pp to LA or the last time I checked it was $1000 to Texas, and those are good rates:eek: Then to fly a family of 4 on top....big bux's to add to your cruise.

I always use Sidestep.com and it checks all the airlines and their prices. I then book with the airline that is the cheapest. I am flying one way from Tampa to Philadelphia for $85.00 in October. I thought it was a great deal.

I use sidestep... but I'm telling you... the fairs I've seen are up 75% to 100% for 2007 over the same time in 2006 ... :eek:

You could drive to New Orleans and save the airfare. Cruises are going to start sailing out this fall and we could really use the tourist. You could spend a couple of nights in the city before or after the cruise. It is a wonderful city and lots to do.

Try going on southwest.com. Once there, DOWNLOAD DING. You can then enter which airports you would like specials for sent to you. I am in Canada and fly out of Buffalo. We got DING rates of $54 each way to Orlando for a recent Disney trip. My husband has started to fly them for business. There is tons of info on this at www.disboards.com on their boards for transportation. Good luck!

from those of us in the midwest who must fly ANYWHERE. :D BUT, in doing my research, I'd suggest 2 things. 1.) waiting 3-4 months from your departure date to purchase your airfare, and 2.) subscribing to travelocity.com....you can tell them which flights you want and what price is the max you'll pay, and they'll email you when the prices go below your max price.

Good luck! I have to disagree with those stating the prices are higher...in 5/05 we paid $325 RT (Delta) from Moline, IL to Miami. Those prices right now (up until the end of the year, which is in the "3-4 month" time frame I mentioned earlier) are $198 RT (American Airlines) from our hometown airport (which is normally higher).

Kayak.com

It uses everyone elses site, even the discounters...you don't buy from Kayak, you buy from the place it finds.

Timing can be key.

Under 30 days it's expensive

Over 120 days it can be higher

Seems to be cheaper around 60-90 days.

Prices usually change on tuesdays, and those flights can be limited.

So early tuesday mornings can find deals gone later in the day

Also go to www.airtran.com and www.jetblue.com and www.spiritair.com .

Make sure that you sign up for all e-mail specials. I have seen some $7 flights show up. Cheapest days to travel are Wednesday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, in that order.

The nice thing about southwest is that you can get a refund or credit if the price of your flight goes down. Recently I got 3 price decreases.

Original price: $104 each way pp

Price drop to $79 and got refund on credit card

Another price drop to $69 and got another refund

DING for $54 and got difference as a credit to be used within one year.

Since I booked return for 9 people that was huge savings.

Archived