Should I buy a muu muu before or when I get to Hawaii

zcat

Going on a Hawaii cruise and saw this on line at Hilo Hattie. The muu muu is the Purple Pareo Shirred Sleeve #4502,0047 @ $99.99. Saw a shirt for my husband also and want to buy both. My question is to the people that have been there are the prices better on line or there? I would like to get it before we leave. I have several other hawaii dresses but fell in love with this one. Shipping doesn't matter to me so it isn't a problem. Do you know if the selection is better there than on line? Thank you

But, then again, I like to wash or clean an item before the first wearing. I don't like the scratchy feeling of the sizing that is in new clothes. Plus, I always wonder how many other people have tried it on before me. I guess I would like to be able to wear this type of item on my trip, not wait until after I get home.

I have several Hilo Hattie dresses, we have a local store in So Cal. They are among my favorites. You will love your new dress (pronounce muu muu as moo oo moo oo). If you are at the Aloha Tower (right at the port in Honolulu) there are a number of stores where you can pick up a pareo (sarong), they have some beautiful and fairly inexpensive ones there.

Have a wonderful Hawaiian trip, it is my favorite place to vacation. We may just go there next year!

I've learned that when I see something that I just love, to buy it then. So many times I'll be on vacation or in a store somewhere and see something and then think, well, there are other stores to still shop at and I might find something I like better. Almost every time it turns out that I never find something I liked as much as the first item and regret getting it then.

That dress is really great, love the purple, - yes, you can find lots of other items at Hilo Hattie, but you might not find the same pattern/color as this dress. I say buy it now! :)

Even if you decide to get this before crusing - go into Hilo Hattie's anyway. It's a fun store! From what I recall, the selection in the store is more extensive than what's on line.

Have a great time!

I asked someone I knew about Hilo Hattie and she said not to bother going there that there other places that are cheaper, bla bla bla. OK! I feel that get what I pay for. I saw some for $35.00 and this one. Looks like a BIG differance to me. When I get there I will go and if I see 1 or 69 more that I like I will buy it. I agree like to wash everything to get the stiffening out or anything else that may be there and then will know if it shrinks. I am so darn short that I will have to hem it but I am used to doing that. I did like the treatement of the sleeves. I appreciate all your answers and it looks everyone is on the same line with me. Soooo I will go for it hey might as well get two I liked another one also. Told my husband that would order a matching shirt for him - he BLEW HIS tOP. I even said it with a straight face. NOOOOO I won't do that ever ,but I had him going the rest of the day and it was fun. I want to wear the dress on the ship before I get to Hawaii. Thank you all Judy

I agree with Iszu. We have been to Hawaii a couple of times, and DH and I get dizzy watching all of the matching couples. You can definately spot a tourist there! I don't mind if he wears a Hawaiian shirt, but I certainly do not want to "match" him!!! :p

Buying on-line from Hilo Hattie is great. The quality is excellent and the shipping is fast. At Christmas time, I placed an order, as we were cruising in February and I wanted a "new" tropical short set" for my daughter. It arrived in New England in about 4 days from ordering on-line. If you find something you love, buy it now. We saved the tax too which is very high in Hawaii.

Bon Voyage.

Try Ebay too for Hilo Hattie. There are lots of dresses, muu muus and shirts at great prices, many new with tags!

I love the Purple Pareo Shirred Sleeve that you mentioned. I haven't seen that one anywhere else.

Thank you all for all the great information. I am so excited I will order this dress but will look at e-bay. I find lots and lots of great NEW things on e-bay and at wonderful prices. I am soooo looking forward to the 17 day cruise and will think of you all. Do you think it is too early to start packing - I leave on May 5th. 2005. My DH says that I am bad enough packing 5 weeks out but even for me it is too early. Jeewiz OK I will relax! I can't wait!!!!!!! Thanks everyone Judy

• 1 month later...

Funny, I was just looking at that item on Hilo Hattie. It's nice to see good reviews of their service.

I love the look of their long muu muus. They seem like they have a nice shape, not just a tent so to speak.

Would this sort of muu muu, full length and nice quality, be okay to wear on a formal night? It looks so comfortable but I don't want to be out of place.

The one good thing about buying from Hilo Hattie is that they will shorten anything for you while you wait.....they'll measure accordingly and do what needs to be done.

Many people buy something a Hilo Hattie and wear it on the Hawaiian Night/Island night. And, yes, many husbands/wives do end up wearing the same pattern.

Not that I could ever get my DH to even wear any kind of "island shirt", let alone one that would match any of my apparel!

Whatever you end up with and wherever you buy it (mail order before the cruise or once in Hawaii) enjoy your new outfit. ALOHA!

Archived