How to clean off foam hanger stuff??

Maddle

My sister bought a lovely-perfect fit-perfect for the occasion- second hand dress. The first owner had the dress hanging on a hanger that was covered with some kind of foam - maybe from the cleaners? - and sadly the foam had disintegrated and the remnant/byproduct is stuck on the dress. Most of it was on the shoulder pads, so she has removed them, but there is still some sticky stuff on the sheer dress itself.

Based on her description, I think the fabric is polyester, rayon, or a blend of both. How do you think she might get rid of the rest of it?

Thanks -

Maddle

Yuck. I would take the dress to a dry cleaner to get their advice.

If she bought the dress locally, at a second hand store, I would go ask them what to do. If she bought it on eBay, the seller should absolutely be told that the condition of the garment was not stated honestly. I hope she can get the gook off.

and -- never forget the adage "NO WIRE HANGERS...EVER"

--Judy

I think she knew it was there when she bought it, but for the price the woman asked for the dress, Sis figured it was worth trying to fix it herself. Believe me, Sis isn't worried about the seller's honesty...it's just that this dress was too perfect to pass up, even if she has to spend some money to have it cleaned. When she removed the shoulder pads, which she probably would have done anyway, sticky stuff or not, I think she was bummed out to find out how much more there was....but she hasn't given up yet.

Archived