Any good reports on Oceania air deviation?

love vacations

OK. We are booked on the Nautica next year for June 20 and are using Oceania's free air. I know that we are really paying about $1000 for the air, but that is still less than I can buy it. I keep hearing horror stories on this board about how Oceania messed up flights, cancelled them, or never booked them. Does anyone out there have some good stories to tell me-to make me not panic? We plan to fly into Istanbul on the day of embarkation and stay 3 extra days in Athens at the end of the trip. Also, I have heard that many of the flights out of Athens leave at 5:00 a.m. or earlier. Is that what most of you are finding?

Thanks

OK. We are booked on the Nautica next year for June 20 and are using Oceania's free air. I know that we are really paying about $1000 for the air, but that is still less than I can buy it. I keep hearing horror stories on this board about how Oceania messed up flights, cancelled them, or never booked them. Does anyone out there have some good stories to tell me-to make me not panic? We plan to fly into Istanbul on the day of embarkation and stay 3 extra days in Athens at the end of the trip. Also, I have heard that many of the flights out of Athens leave at 5:00 a.m. or earlier. Is that what most of you are finding?

Thanks

I haven't yet done our Ocruise (11/15)...but decided to do own air and stays and did so for the air credit we received from O. You get back what you paid (air taxes etc. ) extra, and also a "credit...our total was 865$pp., not counting--- no "deviation" fee of 75$pp.--- no transfers at their prices (can be got much cheaper unless you take their hotels which are $$$$$$, which means transfers are "Free".) We got 2 nts in Rome and 1 in Istanbul ( decent 3*** Hotel in center of town both ends) plus British Air flight, for almost exactly the price of the air credits. We still need to do transfers however which will cost us something.

Most people on this board will advise that you plan arriving at least 1 day in advance of sailing, just in case of delays in Air Transport, no matter which way you travel! Luckly we fly out of Istanbul -- flights are early but not THAT early.

OK. We plan to fly into Istanbul on the day of embarkation and stay 3 extra days in Athens at the end of the trip. Also, I have heard that many of the flights out of Athens leave at 5:00 a.m. or earlier. Is that what most of you are finding?

Thanks

If you are paying a deviation fee why not fly in a day early...you never know what can cause a delay in the flights.

You can then choose the flights that suit you.

Remember with the free air you still pay for transfers they are not included.

Dear Loves Vacations;

We did the Barcelona to Istanbul Cruise last year on the Insignia and had the best of experiences!

Let me preface this by saying that we were traveling with not one, not two, but THREE 80-somethings (parents), which, of course, made us very aware of the need for efficient, expeditious air arrangements.

It was literally this simple:

We looked online to find our "dream" flights; sent the list of requested flights to our TA along with a instructions to book the Oceania "Air Deviation" if they could get us those flights.

That was the entire process!!!!

Oceania agreed to our flights and we paid the fee.

About 5 days later, we asked our TA to contact the airline to verify that we were all seated together. We weren't, but he fixed that, and of course, knowing that we had those seat assignments confirmed that Oceania had made the booking as requested. That kept us happy until we got our documents. When they came they were perfectly correct.

Now, as I uderstand the fine print of the air deviation agreement, Oceania had the right to charge us for any additional expense if our requested flights worked out to be more expensive than the ones that they would have gotten for us, however, we were never charged anything more.

A friend & I did the Regatta IST/VCE cruise in April/May this year. I also researched air itineraries for the perfect schedules. We flew to IST 5 days early & stayed 3 extra days in VCE at the end. We paid the deviation fee. Oceania was able to get the flights we wanted w/o any additional fee (fare). There were no problems w/ our ticketing or travel experience. As long as either you or your TA do a follow up check on these air arrangements, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

It is my understanding that if you are extending your trip at either end of the cruise, you must pay the deviation fee.

I did some research, picked flights I liked and emailed the Oceania deviation department to coordinate arrangements. I think that I have heard that more recently, you need to go through your travel agent, rather than deal directly with Oceania.

It is true that you must pay the deviation fee if you are extending your stay either pre or post cruise. If you are willing to live w/ whatever flights the cruise line arranges for you, then no deviation fee is assessed. But if you want to assure the minimum # of connections or perfect flight times, you may pay the fee & request this w/ Oceania through your TA. If your cruise was booked through the TA, you must go through the TA for everything. If your "ideal flights" cost Oceania more than what they've contracted bulk space for, then you are responsible for paying the difference (in addition to the deviation fee).

Archived