Wine on Board

Queensland Girl

In NJ we have lots of restaurants, from the very casual to fine dining, that are BYOB. I love these as I can decide exactly what I will be drinking with my meal. But none of these restaurants has ever charged us a nickel to open our own bottle of wine. I don't know if that's standard in other parts of the country, but that's the way it is in NJ.

That being said, I really don't mind having to buy the wine from NCL. It would be difficult to bring wine onto the ship - we already bring too much stuff. So we will do our homework & research the NCL wines, then purchase on board bottles of wine that get good recommendations from CC'ers or professional reviewers.

Beachchick, You're lucky to have access to those wonderful CA wines at such great prices! The rest of us are at a bit of a disadvantage here.

In NJ we have lots of restaurants, from the very casual to fine dining, that are BYOB. I love these as I can decide exactly what I will be drinking with my meal. But none of these restaurants has ever charged us a nickel to open our own bottle of wine. I don't know if that's standard in other parts of the country, but that's the way it is in NJ.

Live in NJ as well and love the option to bring my own wine but in all fairness we need to share these are restaurants that can not afford the 100s of thousand to buy a liquor license so bringing your own does not effect their bottom line in fact it helps. :)

Bring your own to a restaurant with a bar and expect to pay corkage even in NJ ;)

I just want to mention one more time to this subject...I have brought on wine myself one time, it was very special and expensive wine, NCL did not carry that time when they limited there wine list and we celebrated a birthday. Actually we did not even had to pay that corkage fee!

Most guests smuggle alcohol on board, because they do not want to pay for anything...not because there isn't theire fav. wine available!

You have to realize...the crew lives from that sells they do to the guests...just imagine...you would work on a ship 24/7, mostly everybody brings theire own stuff...you get no comission/tip out of selling (because that is mostly what they earn)...so basically you do good service and work 24/7 for nothing!

Don't say they make good money anyhow...NOT true!!! I guess if you would know, how much especially the service crew makes, it is a shame!

I do not know where it comes from anyhow to bring the own stuff, regardless if ship, restaurant or resort...except the one time, I have not done it and would never do it! Maybe that is because I'm European and there nobody would do something like this! It is classified there and actually here as well, as cheap and cheesy!

Well for onr thing I am goging to bring my own bottled water on and if that sounds cheap and cheesy, so be it. We have dh, and I and 3 children who are water holics and we only drink poland springs. My hubby buys about 4 cases aweek at costco. On the ship they sell water for 4$ a bottle and it's not poland springs, call me cheap or whatever, but I'm not paying 4$ a bottle for water I don't like!!!!

Cruznut1111 - glad to know you like wine too - see you on board the Dream!

One more wine I would like to add that I"m not sure is on the list - it was last year but need to check the current list is a Sangiovese (spelling) by Lucente (this is actually in connection with Mondavi). I had a bottle given to me for my anniversary years ago and it got my hubby liking red wine - it was great! I couldn't find it anywhere in Houston including Specs wholesale but they did have it on the NCL Sun out of Houston last year for $42. It was as good as I remembered. I can order it here for only about $15 a bottle but have to buy a whole case if I do - I might this winter so for price I'm not sure how good a bargain it is but considering I can't get it here I thought it was worth the money.

Another wine suggested last year was Yellow Tail. Personally I like the Yellow Tail Shiraz-Gernache (spelling?). It is a pink bottle and if anyone can get it in a local liquor store try it - it is really good! I don't think NCL would carry it..

I'm off to find the wine list... :p Debbie

I can only find it as a Magnum! Darn it! It is Mondavi-Frescobaldi La Vite Lucente Toscana 1997 for $82.... Wonder is a big bottle is worth a try? I usually avoid them as I feel they dont' hold the flavor - anyone know anything about buying Magnums? Debbie

Soemthing I forget to keep in mind is the vintage - which they seem to have very good vintages on NCL. I will probably try the Marchesi de'Frescobaldi Toscana Mormoreto under Super Tuscans $48. Seems pretyt well priced as to what I could buy it for as a 2001. The above Magnum I mentioned is also well priced as a 1997. I might be able to buy the bottle for $15-20 (have to buy a case) but it would be a more current vintage. Mondovi seems to have done well by this winery... Debbie

I can only find it as a Magnum! Darn it! It is Mondavi-Frescobaldi La Vite Lucente Toscana 1997 for $82.... Wonder is a big bottle is worth a try? I usually avoid them as I feel they dont' hold the flavor - anyone know anything about buying Magnums? Debbie

Since Tuscany is in Northern Italy, this sure sounds like 10 $10 glasses at a "Meet & Greet" to me. I'm not sure about magnums of red, but for champagne, I've always read that the larger the bottle, the better the champagne.

Dee

LOL...you know...who cries most is one of the bad ones...LOL!!!

Paying thousands of dollars...he he he...a good joke again!!! Cruising became to cheap that is the reason all those things happen!

And by the way...$ 4000.00 can be as well just 1 bottle of wine...and yes...I had one or more of those already!

By the way I do not drink water!:D

sneakerstud:

Most guests smuggle alcohol on board, because they do not want to pay for anything...not because there isn't theire fav. wine available!

That's a pretty broad statement. Do you know for a fact that "most guests" have this motivation? Unless you actually know most people who cruise, you might want to rethink speaking for them. Cruise Critic members are a teeny, tiny fraction of the cruising population, and I'd bet that you couldn't actually speak for most of their motivations. (Sorry, but this kind of massive generalization just doesn't work.)

beachchick

Is it my imagination or have the threads on this post been savagely trimmed???

Seem to remember several posts that are no longer here???

To state again in summary (assuming it doesn't get the chop again ....

Rather than argue about the rights and wrongs on trying to get alcohol on board amongst cruise critic members .... vent your frustration at NCL (as 2inTul has kindly pointed out the seem to be charging higher corkage than the others ... write to them and let them know!!!!

I applaud responsible serving of alcohol and can think of nothing worse than sharing a cruise with a bunch of drunken lots (and that can happen via 'smuggled' or purchased on board alocohol).

Instead of concentrating on alocohol some lines would be better lifting their came in checking for 'recreational' (there is no such thing!!!) drugs.

Hi mind if I ask you seasoned travelers a question?. We sail on NCL NOv. 6/06 and wondered about bringing some alcohol back on board after a day trip?

Hi mind if I ask you seasoned travelers a question?. We sail on NCL NOv. 6/06 and wondered about bringing some alcohol back on board after a day trip?

They will hold it until the last evening of the cruise and then it will be returned to you.

Does anyone know if they will confiscate "box" wine if is already open? We will probably buy some in Oahu for the hotel and then have some leftover for our balcony on the ship - we are not heavy drinkers:rolleyes:

They should allow you to keep it but expect to pay the $15 corkage on the box.

Archived