liarsville in skagway--worth the time spent there?

dustyroad

i am wondering if the train ride/bus/liarsville camp tour with carnival is worth the money. i know the train and bus back will be a great tour but is liarsville worth the extra money that carnival spirit charges ( $139 ). we want to get the most out of the train ride and could book with a private tour group if we need too? thanks for any tips.

We took the Best of Skagway tour from the Island Princess last week. The train is fantastic! Sit on the left side. The bus tour back allowed several stops for photo opps and our bus driver was great: Super Sarah Brown--very entertaining. Liarsiville was a hokey, tourist-type place with a cutesy skit about the old gold mining days and a camp set up to represent what the old tent city would have been like. The salmon bake served there was good--salmon cooked outside on a wood-fired grill. Baked beans, coleslaw, store-bought pastry until they ran out then gave Snickers bars for dessert. Not a "must see" IMHO, but fun. It made for a long tour, 6 1/2 hours, including the brothel tour at the Red Onion Saloon. That is available for anyone, $5 for 15 minutes, just like in 1898.

:)

If take just the train up and back, the seats acctually reverse and those that sit on the left move to the right side of the train and vise versa.

It would give you plenty of time to walk and shop in Skagway. Then you could have a drink and see the Red Onion Saloon on your own.

:)

I've done the round-trip train and the Best of Skagway. IMO...The round-trip train got a bit redundant. I prefer the oneway train & the one-way bus but I could do without Liarsville. Cheezy, touristy, and a bit boring. The only good part was the BIG resident dog.

We enjoyed Liarsville even though it was touristy. We were tourists, afterall! :) The BIG husky in residence that was mentioned was wonderful and the skit was funny! And even though we enjoyed it, once was enough. Don't know about booking it privately, we booked thru Celebrity.

thanks everyone for '' the good and bad '' of liarsville. we will have to decide now if we want to include that. i cant wait to go. i did not do the train last sept and wish i had. now i will have to chance to do that.

Archived