Sun Fitness Center?

atlmichelle

I wanted to ask for objective input here regarding the following quote from a CC member review I just read....

"The fitness area was small. A problem here is that they do not turn the treadmills on till mid-morning. They said the treadmills are over cabins and they make a lot of noise so wait to turn them on. Many of the excursions require you to be off the ship around 7:30 a.m. so you will not be able to use a treadmill if you like to work out early."

The rest of the review was pretty whiny, so I would generally just "consider the source". But this seemed like a pretty specific complaint. I am actually more interested in info about the spinning bikes. When it comes to walking, I would rather do that out on deck anyway. Just wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience?

I wanted to ask for objective input here regarding the following quote from a CC member review I just read....

"The fitness area was small. A problem here is that they do not turn the treadmills on till mid-morning. They said the treadmills are over cabins and they make a lot of noise so wait to turn them on. Many of the excursions require you to be off the ship around 7:30 a.m. so you will not be able to use a treadmill if you like to work out early."

The rest of the review was pretty whiny, so I would generally just "consider the source". But this seemed like a pretty specific complaint. I am actually more interested in info about the spinning bikes. When it comes to walking, I would rather do that out on deck anyway. Just wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience?

Ok, the fitness area is not vast but it is by no means small. The treadmills are closed from 11 at night until 08:00 in the morning and as you like to walk on the deck, it wouldn't be a problem for you if you want to exercise before 8. There are plenty of spinning bikes, about 10 i think. Hope this helps :)

Hi;

The original poster was correct. The treadmills are not turned on until mid morning for that very reason. The fitness room on the Sun was about a 7/10. I am a personal trainer and was a little disappointed, however, for the average person who simply wants to work out once in a while, it would be fine. There are about 5 treadmills, 3-4 eliptical trainers and (I think) 3 stationary bikes. The free weight section is very small with only a few benches in total of both incline and flat.

If you wish to use a resist-a-ball there are tons in the adjoining room in which they hold classes in and you can use that room as well.

Any other questions, let me know.

Just an FYI, the promenade deck doesn't open fully until after 8:00 am either. My husband and I are early morning runners, but we pretty much had to give it up for during our cruise (unless we wanted to do a million laps on the top deck).

Just an FYI, the promenade deck doesn't open fully until after 8:00 am either. My husband and I are early morning runners, but we pretty much had to give it up for during our cruise (unless we wanted to do a million laps on the top deck).

That sucks, I hit the gym at about 5:45 every morning and if I try to sleep in and go later than that I normally won't go. Plus opening up that late effects things like Shore excursions and stuff.

Man, that bums me out.

These are all true, my wife and I are up early, I run, she hits the gym. So we got to do neither because of the hours, one other thing to note, on sea days they did an organized mile walk at 8:00 AM on the main deck which made running a bit complicated. Deck 12 as noted earlier is not easy to navigate for a run. We found the gym less populated during dinner hours. It is not located in the best possible spot on the Port side over a stretch of balcony rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we did end up hitting the Sun gym a few times. But I'm convinced that most of our onboard exercise came from our strict NO ELEVATORS policy!

Hubby and I did not set foot on a single Sun elevator over the entire cruise! According to my handy-dandy pedometer, we averaged walking 6.72 miles per day, most of which was trekking the stairs between our cabin on Deck 4 and the Buffet on Deck 11 several times daily. (See how that works out? ;) ) We even schlepped our bags up the steps for Express Checkout on Thursday!

Well, we did end up hitting the Sun gym a few times. But I'm convinced that most of our onboard exercise came from our strict NO ELEVATORS policy!

Hubby and I did not set foot on a single Sun elevator over the entire cruise! According to my handy-dandy pedometer, we averaged walking 6.72 miles per day, most of which was trekking the stairs between our cabin on Deck 4 and the Buffet on Deck 11 several times daily. (See how that works out? ;) ) We even schlepped our bags up the steps for Express Checkout on Thursday!

how early was the open/late was the close?

I do that, too! It always amazes me how much I walk on a 7 day cruise. :)

Archived