10 cruise etiquette tips

RSWBADGER

Have you experienced any of these?

By John Frenaye

Travel columnist

SourceTripso.gif

Check Out this MSNBC link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14855855/

Recently, I had the pleasure of sailing on the world’s largest ship: Royal Caribbean International’s Freedom of the Seas. It was a fantastic week which was exactly what the doctor ordered for some rest and relaxation for my family at the end of a hectic summer. But after witnessing the behavior of some of the passengers, I had to wonder if they saw the cruise as an opportunity to be rude and obnoxious. If Emily Post were not already dead, those louts and bounders would certainly have sent her to her grave!

Let us forswear the role of Ugly American and start to mind our manners. These 10 tips were developed after a week on the high seas, but they are equally applicable to a land-based vacation or business trip. Read them and resolve to restore some civility to the art of travel.

Here they are briefly:

1. Don’t expect perfection. Larger ships means the crew is often overworked.

2. Get some exercise. Use the stairs whenever you can.

3. Shut up. Silence is golden!

4. Practice moderation. Too much of a good things spoils you.

5. Be discreet. We don't want to know how well off you are.

6. Remember that you are a world traveler. The world speaks several languages.

7. Be a good audience member. Don't fall asleep in the front row.

8. Stop whining. I can't help you.

9. Dress for public view. You're not at home.

10. Be generous. Tip!

1. It your vacation!

2. Leave your stress and attitude at home.

3. Have fun.

4. Be nice to fellow passangers and crew members.

5. Don't let little things bother you.

6. Don't expect perfection - We are all human and make mistakes.

7. Did I mention - IT IS YOUR VACATION? :D

9. Dress for public view. You're not at home.

This one's my favorite.

I will never forget something I saw on the Caribbean Princess in April of this year...

lets just say I wish they had some kind of dress on....Its always interesting having someone knock at your door asking for a towel :)

Cover your mouth when you sneeze especially at the buffet.

I'm standing behind this person who needed to sneeze, plate in hand, she turns her head in my direction and sneezes on my plate of food! Not even a "Oops" from her.

Person Overboooooooarrrrrd!

Parents, teach your children how to behave in public, especially when they are away from you!

More suggestions:

Do NOT use your cell phone in public places while onboard. I don't want/need to hear your conversation so keep it to your cabin please.

Do NOT speak disrespectfully/rudely to the crew - they are there to help you have the cruise of a lifetime. If a problem arises, discuss it calmly - no screaming required.

DO remember that others may be asleep in their cabin when you return to your cabin at 3 AM - (goes to the silence is golden principle).

More suggestions:

Do NOT use your cell phone in public places while onboard. I don't want/need to hear your conversation so keep it to your cabin please.

Do NOT speak disrespectfully/rudely to the crew - they are there to help you have the cruise of a lifetime. If a problem arises, discuss it calmly - no screaming required.

DO remember that others may be asleep in their cabin when you return to your cabin at 3 AM - (goes to the silence is golden principle).

Great suggestion regarding keeping the noise down when using the cell phone. I sailed across the Atlantic this past May on the Brilliance of the Seas, this gentleman had a satellite phone to use on sea days. Every day he would go to the "quiet area" of the lounge to make his calls which would anger everyone inside because it was the "quiet area". Finally, my traveling companion went up to him and asked him not to do that anymore since it was disturbing everyone and afterall, it was the "quiet area". This guy explained that is exactly why he was up there, it was quiet enough to make his calls! lol.

should be mandatory reading for cruise critics...

You know before you join read this...

the only things besides chair hogging it doesn't cover is

1. bringing liquor on board

2. Smoking

3, cell phone etiquiet...

And elevator etiquette.

#1 If you are waiting for the elevator - when it stops give the people on the elevator a chance to get off before you barge onto teh elevator. I posted on another thread that I actually had a woman bump into me while I was getting off and she told me I should have waited to get off until AFTER she had gotten on. Ummm - nope it's the other way dear...

#2 Be aware of who is waiting for the elevator already when you get there. You cannot keep track of everybody but common sense shodul tell you that if there's 5 people waiting there before you and an elevator arrives and there's not enough room for all the people waiting - you allow the people that were there first to get on. You do not rush forward to see who can get on first! When we were getting off the ship yesterday we were the first ones at the elevator with out luggage(priority disembarkation for people that can carry their own luggage) unfortunately it took 3 elevators until we could get on because people were coming after us and as an elevator came - by the time we started to move forward with the bags - they would hop on and the elevator would be full..

There's always a few people that seem to believe they're the only ones on that vacation..

Great suggestion regarding keeping the noise down when using the cell phone. I sailed across the Atlantic this past May on the Brilliance of the Seas, this gentleman had a satellite phone to use on sea days. Every day he would go to the "quiet area" of the lounge to make his calls which would anger everyone inside because it was the "quiet area". Finally, my traveling companion went up to him and asked him not to do that anymore since it was disturbing everyone and afterall, it was the "quiet area". This guy explained that is exactly why he was up there, it was quiet enough to make his calls! lol.

UG! We were sitting next to a man in Cagney's on his cell. NO ATTEMPT was made by him to even be quiet - he was cackling and hooting and hollering like he was at a football game.

I just wanted to make a point about the cell phone bashing on this thread.

I certainly understand that cell phone users are certainly the worst offenders but really everybody should try and keep conversation to a lower volume when in public. This applies to when you are talking on the phone, to another person, and to your children.

Trust me I have been in many situation where I feel like I should be involved in the conversation.

The rule that I like to use is that basically nobody else should be able to hear your entire conversation.

Just my 2 cents.

11) Don't wring out the babies swim diaper in the pool if they have an accident!

I recall in the past someone posted they saw this and I still am afraid of cruise ship pools!

-Monte

Untrained kids are NOT allowed in the ships pools. Parents need to observe this rule.

Barb

:) :o :D Have you experienced any of these?

By John Frenaye

Travel columnist

SourceTripso.gif

Check Out this MSNBC link

Recently, I had the pleasure of sailing on the world’s largest ship: Royal Caribbean International’s Freedom of the Seas. It was a fantastic week which was exactly what the doctor ordered for some rest and relaxation for my family at the end of a hectic summer. But after witnessing the behavior of some of the passengers, I had to wonder if they saw the cruise as an opportunity to be rude and obnoxious. If Emily Post were not already dead, those louts and bounders would certainly have sent her to her grave!

Let us forswear the role of Ugly American and start to mind our manners. These 10 tips were developed after a week on the high seas, but they are equally applicable to a land-based vacation or business trip. Read them and resolve to restore some civility to the art of travel.

Archived