Kids on March 20 Rotterdam Sailing?

ere

I would appreciate knowing anyone booked on the March 20 sailing on the Rotterdam will have young kids (under 5) with them since it is spring break for many schools. Will Club HAL operate?

Hi Ere:

It looks like you're doing a South American itinerary to Antartica. :) Because of the distances involved, you will probably not have a large number of youngsters on your cruise. Holland America does offer its program for children, Club HAL, year 'round. Look here for a link with information. Also, if you are already booked, you can call HAL's ship's services at 1-800-541-1576, and ask them to give you a breakdown of children onboard by age group. Club HAL offers programs for ages 3-7, 8-12, and 13-17.

Another resource to consider is the roll call board, right here at Cruise Critic. This is a good way to meet others who may be on your cruise. Some roll calls are more active than others; it really depends on who joins them. Here is the link for the Rotterdam roll calls. There is no roll call started yet for your cruise; perhaps you may wish to be the first to do so?

Good luck to you:)

I would appreciate knowing anyone booked on the March 20 sailing on the Rotterdam will have young kids (under 5) with them ...

Sounds wonderful, but I can't imagine that spring break would impact on a 16 day SA cruise at all. Rarely do 10 day Caribbean cruises have a huge amount of kids and I really wouldn't expect many children on your cruise. It's the 7 day Carib cruises that feel the spring break cruising influx of families.

I agree - truely doubt that you will have many children of any age on a 16 day South American cruise.

But we did do a 10 day Thanksgiving cruise in 2005 -- loads of children!!!

You might get some preschoolers though. On my Princess cruise to Hawaii in January of 2005, I believe we had nine children onboard. Just about all of them were preschoolers. This was a 15-day cruise.

But, school-aged kids probably won't be onboard in any great numbers on a 16-day South American itinerary. Unless they are on a school vacation period, parents are unlikely to yank kids from school for that long a time period.

But, regardless of the number of children onboard, I'm sure Club HAL will keep them very occupied and very happy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Also, if you are already booked, you can call HAL's ship's services at 1-800-541-1576, and ask them to give you a breakdown of children onboard by age group. Club HAL offers programs for ages 3-7, 8-12, and 13-17.

Hey middle-aged mom-

(from another middle-aged mom), I called that number as I am booked on the Westerdam and the rep told me that they did not have a child count. I am going on 10/22, I doubt that I called too early for that info since we're well within the 60 days. The rep I talked didn't sound like she liked her job very much. Did I just get someone who didn't want to help or couldn't help?

Just curious,

Jac

Hey middle-aged mom-

(from another middle-aged mom), I called that number as I am booked on the Westerdam and the rep told me that they did not have a child count. I am going on 10/22, I doubt that I called too early for that info since we're well within the 60 days. The rep I talked didn't sound like she liked her job very much. Did I just get someone who didn't want to help or couldn't help?

Just curious,

Jac

Hi Jac:

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Please do try again. I called ship's services for both our August HAL cruise last month, and also for our upcoming December cruise to the Caribbean. Both times the reps were very accommodating, and gave me a breakdown by age group as to the numbers of children onboard. They should have a child count, because that is the number that HAL uses for determining how many Club HAL staff they need to have on hand per cruise. Perhaps the numbers of children for your cruise are very low, but they should still know that. Let me know if you are successful, please? I'd hate to think that I'm giving out bum information. Thanks.

Karin

Hi Karin - I called back the same number, but this time talked to a very nice gentlemen who was more than happy to help me with the kid count as well as looking into trying to get the kind of liquor that I prefer sent to my cabin. What a difference just talking to a different person makes. The first lady I talked to was impatient and obviously in a hurry to get off the phone and left me with a really bad impression of their customer service. Scott was a total 180 degree turn around from that, I was very pleased with his customer service. Hope HAL weeds out the bad reps from time to time.

Thanks for your advice!! 29 days and counting, can't wait!!

Jac

Hi Karin - I called back the same number, but this time talked to a very nice gentlemen who was more than happy to help me with the kid count as well as looking into trying to get the kind of liquor that I prefer sent to my cabin. What a difference just talking to a different person makes. The first lady I talked to was impatient and obviously in a hurry to get off the phone and left me with a really bad impression of their customer service. Scott was a total 180 degree turn around from that, I was very pleased with his customer service. Hope HAL weeds out the bad reps from time to time.

Thanks for your advice!! 29 days and counting, can't wait!!

Jac

Jac:

I just now saw your post (I don't always get to "hang out" here as much as I'd like;)). Thank you for letting me know how things turned out! I'm so glad your second experience was much better!:)

Karin

Archived