Dunns River falls for 50+ yr old

DayDreamer2

Both my DW and I are 55, and did the falls last July. The only problem was other people. It was just to crowded, and holding hands in a line made it impossible to climb IMHO. I need my arms free for balance, etc.

You make a very good point.

I've climbed the falls three times, and I would never participate in "the string". I need my hands free to balance. We've even verred off from the guide and they never said anything.

Maybe they don't notice. :cool:

Daydreamer2,

I went to the falls my last cruise. Having only 1 lung, I was nervous of signing up with the cruiseship tour of the falls, so I chose to go with a local tour guide. Marva picked us up from the dock and dropped us off at the falls. We paid the entry fee, and had the whole place to ourselves, as we were the first people to arrive. We walked down the pathway (this is very scenic, and has many photo stops along the way) To complete the walk there are stairs (about 30-maybe). I was able to do it at my leisure. Once at the bottom, I didn't walk 'up' in the falls, but I did walk into them. I was then able to enjoy the beach while my friends walked up part of the way. We then all took the stairs and climbed the hill to get back up. The hill isn't bad at all and if I can do it with one lung, you should be able to enjoy the falls. It definitely was one of the highlights of the trip...the other was rafting on the White River. Hope this helps!

If you get there and decide it is too scary, there are steps you can walk up and still have entry points into the falls if you want to get wet.

It is not a cake walk getting up the falls, but if you think you can't do it when you get there, nothing prevents you from doing the steps and getting wet anyway!

And there is a beach you can swim at if you decide it isn't for you.

We did the falls at 49. My knees gave out and my husband was helping not only me but the woman in front of him and I had to help the woman behind me which was difficult because she was having a harder time than I. I got off at the 3/4 station. It was fun but I was afraid my knees were going to give out and I'd fall.

If you go to the falls with RC, they will take a picture of you and it will be back at the ship. The natives also take one of you and the ship's picture is far superior. You do not have to do the walk up to get the picture as it's taken at the beginning. Also, when you leave the park, you have a choice of going around the native shopping area. Our guide advised us not to hold an item unless we were to purchase and the natives were very, very agressive. Too much after enjoying the beautiful falls.

We did the plantation/falls trip. It was all day. The plantation was interesting, bus ride informative but we did not enjoy the natives and their expectations for handouts. At the plantation bathroom, there was a native that showed you the bathroom door (only one) and handed you a paper towel and wanted a tip.

We were upset that we didn't have enough time to enjoy Buffetville and our trip took all day.

I strongly recommend getting some wet shoes if you are planning on climbing the falls. Though regular tennis shoes work fine, the wet shoes work much better. The wet shoes are able to grip to the rocks better and the water does not fill up in the shoes. I just visited the falls back in July and climbed the falls. The guides also help you if you get stuck at certain points.

Archived