What to expect in our cabin

kbknepp

We are traveling on the Rhapsody next spring with our toddler son (3 years). It will by my first cruise is over ten years. We are booked in a Large Interior cabin on deck seven. My SIL did the booking so I had no choice in what we got or where it was. I don't even know the cabin number. So my question is: can anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect on space (besides the fact that there won't be any)? I'm not really sure what or where we're going to put our son. Right now he's still in a crib at home so who knows what he'll be sleeping in by next spring when he turns three. Do the rooms generally have pullmans or would you think we'll have him on the couch? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a 3-year-old in a pullman, particularly if he's not used to sleep in a big-boy bed, but when I looked at the deck plan on RCI website, it doesn't look like any of the large interior cabins on that deck have pull-out couches. So any educated guesses you can provide will be better than what I have right now. Thanks!

The cabin will have a small couch, and I have heard of people turning the couch around so the open side is against the wall, to keep little kids from rolling off. This might be a good solution for you. I'm sure your cabin steward could give you a sheet for the couch.

One other thing: Be sure your SIL booked the cabin for three people. Just because your little one can sleep on the couch doesn't mean that he doesn't need to be included in the booking. It's not like a hotel room where you can sneak in a bunch of folks as long as someone is willing to sleep on the floor, and she may not be aware of that. Make sure that the cabin you are booked in can accommodate three people (even though your son may not use the pullman or pull out the sofa bed), and make sure your son's name is on the booking.

Absolutely..... when it comes to a cruise every body counts in the roster.

You see a post from time to time about people not understanding why they have to pay full price for an infant/child. From what I understand it has to do with the fact that a ship is rated to hold X amount of people and an infant or child counts like an adult so they charge as if an adult.

Mine are all grown and on their own but I remember back when they were that age...... they could sleep anywhere.... turning the couch around seems like a perfect idea.

Also you will be surprised at how well the cabins are laid out so to maximize every little nook and cranny. Suitcases just fit under the bed (we unpack all our clothes and then put them in the empty suitcase under the bed as they are worn).

The only place that feels tight is the shower :eek: You'll see what I mean !

Thanks for letting me know about being sure he's actually booked on the cruise. I'm pretty sure because I verified that she had used his full name for the booking. My SIL and the rest of my inlaws go on cruises all the time (2 a year, usually) and so I would hope she knows what she's doing, but I think I'll ask just to be on the safe side. I would hate to get there and have problems.

So do all the cabins have these little couches, even the ones that don't make into a bed? It's not like he needs a lot of room. I'm sure that just turning it around and putting a sheet on it will work fine. Then my only problem will be keeping him in it. Maybe our cabin steward could get us some handcuffs. :)

So do all the cabins have these little couches, even the ones that don't make into a bed? It's not like he needs a lot of room. I'm sure that just turning it around and putting a sheet on it will work fine. Then my only problem will be keeping him in it. Maybe our cabin steward could get us some handcuffs. :)

We have never had a cabin that didn't have a little loveseat, and we generally stay in interior cabins.

The pool sounds like a good idea. He's taken showers before, but he's not really keen on them. It usually takes having his daddy in there with him and I highly doubt there's enough room in a cruiseship shower for even one and a half people. I think my in-laws are going to be in an Owner's Suite. Do you know if they have tubs?

Oh the owners suite has a nice tub! Also plenty of extra room, including a pull out sofa.. I think they need to do some baby sitting for you, umm, like every night after dinner, they can bathe and put him to bed! (Im joking of course) but it is a good option to know you can bathe him in there if you need.

Nitra, I like the way you think. I'm kind of hoping that we'll be able to have them watch him a couple of evenings. My husband has said he won't mind having to go to bed early if that is what it takes to get our little guy to sleep, but I'm not sure what I think of that. I guess I married an old man.

Spring of 2007 passport is not required. See regulation revision here.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

January 1, 2008 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Yes, as of this date (today) passports will be required to re-enter the US by air and sea from the Caribbean and Mexico after January 8, 2007.

So, unless this is changed soon, everyone will need a passport by this coming up January 8th, less than 4 months away. Not January 1, 2008.

Check with this site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

For current info. Posts like the above from egh 170, while well intentioned, are not correct. If you do not obtain a passport and you need one, you will be denied boarding at the port terminal.

It is possible the proposed requirement will be changed, only take the information from the gov't site to be correct, for your own good.

This is copied directly from the site

"January 8, 2007 – Passports, Merchant Mariner Documents (MMD) or NEXUS Air cards would be required for all air travel, and most commercial sea travel, from within the Western Hemisphere for citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda. This is a change from the previously scheduled date of January 1, in order to accommodate holiday travel."

They also have babysitting services onboard and if you go to the family cruising boards it seems that many have been quite satisfied with this service. Book them early though as I'm sure there are not nearly enough of them to go around.

Yes, JS and above have tubs.

Archived